Jump to content
sideskr

FR3 Cable Slide Problems

Recommended Posts

If you have an FR3 with the cable slides, could you please give me any information good or bad about the system?

We want to update and downsize our motorhome and like everything about the FR3 30DS.

When I saw the cable slides I panicked. I have heard horror stories, but never seen for myself the problems with cables.

This is the only thing keeping us from pulling the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I do not have an FR3 but, cable slides are like everything else on a MH, they require routine maintenance. This includes dealer prep, and regular inspections of the working mechanisms, including lubrication, checking for slack in the cable assembly, and always being mindful about any binding and or obstructions that may cause problems. I personally would prefer hydraulics, but cost could easily become a deal breaker. Welcome to the forum, hope you find what you are looking for, and it is good that you are checking systems out before making the plunge, hopefully someone will see the post and have direct info for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sideskr, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

When I saw the cable slides I panicked. I have heard horror stories, but never seen for myself the problems with cables.

See that Kay has responded to your inquire - The Systems do require some TLC and yearly maintenance.   The Key question I would ask is what is the maximum weight the slide can handle design wise. We all tend to overload the coaches and slides tend to be the weak link in that regard.

Rich.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum. You should run the slides in and out a couple of times. I would have some one else run them on at least one cycle so you can be out side and be looking for possible problems. 

You can have problems with any system. 

Bill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would walk away from any unit with cable slides. They are a beast to repair and adjust and they require it often, the other issue I have read is the particle board they are fastened to cannot handle the cross torque on the pulley's, and they will tear off the walls. I saw a later model where they fastened tin to the wood and ran the screws into that, it didn't last either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the cable system is not the best one and I would be more concerned with Forrest River and their slow response time for warranties,  One of our employees bought a new FR trailer before summer and it has been out of commission most of the summer and he is still waiting for parts right now that haven't been shipped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a cable system on my last motorhome, had it for 11 years.  The system worked flawlessly,  I did replace the cable due frayed strands.

I replaced the cable myself, I would rate the degree of difficulty a 5 on scale of 1-10.  On the plus side, it simple and  majority of replacement parts are inexpensive and easy to find and the support guides are easily accessible.  The down side it does require preventative to lubricate the cable rollers, the guide rollers and check tensioning of the cable. 

Jim

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all of you for the fast replys. It's nice to see that I am not really over reacting. I realize that RV's need TLC whatever the type. We currently have a 38 foot diesel pusher, our second class A. We have changed our needs and decided to buy newer and shorter. Looking at the market for a 30 to 34 foot class A is a real challenge for someone 6'3" that doesn't need room for 10 people. We travel with one dog and two parrots. I will take a closer look at the system and weight of slide, per your recommendations. One reason I liked this model was two smaller slides one on each side.  I'll do my homework before making the move. Thanks again to all our Road Friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sideskr, I applaud you for identifying a potential weak spot and asking. Most never do and get stuck with a poor engineered design that will leave a hole in your wallet and without the unit as it sits at a dealer while they fiddle around with it.

To put it into perspective, our coach is an 02', I have every receipt (except fuel) down to wiper blades purchased from the previous owner, it had the front slide adjusted once by the selling dealer prior to them taking delivery in 01'. You can view that from different angles, they either got it right in the engineering and execution or I'm sitting on a bomb :lol:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking at smaller coaches have you looked at the new Pace Arrow 36U?

http://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-fleetwood-rv-pace-arrow-36u-729571-10

This is a link to an example.

I have a friend who just boughta 38foot one and it looked good. I personaley can't see going to a shorter than 38ft because you start giving up storage and tank capasity. We travel with one dog no parrets. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cable operated slide is 26 feet long and has operated flawlessly for the last 5 years. I do inspect it on a regular basis and have never seen a problem. On mine the worse part is that it is very difficult to access if something did go wrong. I carry a spare cable and repair kit just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

If you are looking at smaller coaches have you looked at the new Pace Arrow 36U?

http://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-fleetwood-rv-pace-arrow-36u-729571-10

This is a link to an example.

I have a friend who just boughta 38foot one and it looked good. I personaley can't see going to a shorter than 38ft because you start giving up storage and tank capasity. We travel with one dog no parrets. 

Bill

The biggest reason I am looking for 30 to 34' is that I am looking at gas. With that said I have passed a lot of larger gas rigs on the hills. We love our 38' pusher and have done many upgrades to make it more user friendly ( carpet out vinyl in). It is a 2000 model that we store in a shop at our house. Going to miss that soft quiet ride. With everyone's help we we will move ahead with caution. We had a lot of fun in the old 28' class A. Arizona to Alaska back to Texas and a lot of points in between!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dkreuzen said:

My cable operated slide is 26 feet long and has operated flawlessly for the last 5 years. I do inspect it on a regular basis and have never seen a problem. On mine the worse part is that it is very difficult to access if something did go wrong. I carry a spare cable and repair kit just in case.

Thanks for the input, 26' is a lot even for gear drive. Did you buy the spare parts from dealer or aftermarket? Living in Texas I know the importance of good AC and spare parts. One whole storage bay is tools and spare parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sideskr said:

The biggest reason I am looking for 30 to 34' is that I am looking at gas. With that said I have passed a lot of larger gas rigs on the hills. We love our 38' pusher and have done many upgrades to make it more user friendly ( carpet out vinyl in). It is a 2000 model that we store in a shop at our house. Going to miss that soft quiet ride. With everyone's help we we will move ahead with caution. We had a lot of fun in the old 28' class A. Arizona to Alaska back to Texas and a lot of points in between!

Tell me again why you need to go from a well made diesel pusher to a problmatic gas coach.:unsure: 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Tell me again why you need to go from a well made diesel pusher to a problmatic gas coach.:unsure: 

Bill

Leaving logic out of the question, want something smaller and newer on a beer budget :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sideskr said:

Leaving logic out of the question, want something smaller and newer on a beer budget :)

I would look at PPL.com https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes?sortBy=price+desc& 

or http://motorhomesoftexas.com/ for something in the same price range. :D

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill...he want's a gas, 30-34 foot...stop selling DP! 

Sideskr.  PPL has gas units also, but at this time I would be really afraid of buying anything that rolls from any Texas Coastal County, due to Hurricane Harvey...definitely Buyer Beware! :ph34r:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill...he want's a gas, 30-34 foot...stop selling DP! 

Sideskr.  PPL has gas units also, but at this time I would be really afraid of buying anything that rolls from any Texas Coastal County, due to Hurricane Harvey...definitely Buyer Beware! :ph34r:  

Thanks, you are right! Any unit I look at will definitely get checked for high water marks. To easy to move to new locations away from coast. Hope you were able to stay dry! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd highest house and garage on Island.  We where in Ruidoso, NM & other home in Burnet, TX.  Thanks for asking. :)  I'm looking for acreage between Palestine and Rusk.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 8:43 AM, sideskr said:

Thanks for the input, 26' is a lot even for gear drive. Did you buy the spare parts from dealer or aftermarket? Living in Texas I know the importance of good AC and spare parts. One whole storage bay is tools and spare parts. 

I purchased the repair kit and tools from Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00303EG7M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill...he want's a gas, 30-34 foot...stop selling DP! 

Sideskr.  PPL has gas units also, but at this time I would be really afraid of buying anything that rolls from any Texas Coastal County, due to Hurricane Harvey...definitely Buyer Beware! :ph34r:  

Just trying to help. I would hate for him to make a mistake.:P

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...