danschreiner

Tire Pressure Monitors

Can anyone recommend a good TPMS? My coach is a 2014 43' Entegra Aspire with a tag axle. I pull a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. The Jeep has it's own TPMS which I can't see if I'm not in it obviously. I will need to monitor 12 tires including the Jeep.

There have been several discussions on different TPMS's recently.  I would start by searching previous form posting on the subject.

Welcome to the form!!

jim

Here is a link to a discussion with a number of good responses.  It would be a good place to start.  I've had Pressure Pro for a long time.  It works well for me.  When we first got it, we had occasional drop-outs on the toad and the rear axle.  I added the remote booster and installed it in a rear closet.  Problem solved. 

The systems aren't cheap but considering the peace of mind and avoiding a potential disaster, they are well worth the expense.

Pressure Pro.  Have had other brands at 50% less cost, then found that they where not compatible with my computer system & I needed another  separate screen mounted on dash!  PP is programed into my Silver Leaf system.  As Tom said, not cheap!  Then again what is cheap on a Motor Coach?  :) 

I also use Pressure Pro wired into my Silverleaf system and am very pleased with Pressure Pro.  On my prior coach, I used TireMinder A1A.  I still have that sitting on a shelf.  It worked OK, but I did get several high pressure alarms before I figured out the best way to set it up.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, danschreiner said:

Can anyone recommend a good TPMS? My coach is a 2014 43' Entegra Aspire with a tag axle. I pull a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. The Jeep has it's own TPMS which I can't see if I'm not in it obviously. I will need to monitor 12 tires including the Jeep.

Welcome danschreiner.  We are in the middle of making a deal on the same make/year coach (14 Aspire 42RBQ).  I currently have a flow thru TPMS on my gas coach with only six sending sensors.  I can't recall the exact brand but it was one of the popular ones when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago for a different RV.  It works great but I am guessing it won't work very well with my new coach plus I'll need six additional sensors.

I'll be towing a 24' enclosed trailer with of course dual axles so it is very important to me right from the start to monitor those tires as well.  I'm looking at a couple different systems and they seem to have gotten a little cheaper.  I don't want the flow thru sensors again because they are slow getting air into and slightly larger is size.  I don't care about it being integrated into any of my other systems because there is enough stuff already there I need to see and monitor anyway.  Just a simple stand alone system with 12 sensors, signal booster for the trailer being towed, and a monitor that is big enough and bright enough to be viewed in sunlight.

Joe, you might reconsider getting a 24 foot trailer.  You'll be close to 70 feet long and that's 5 feet over the length limit in most States! :o The Aspire is 42 foot 9 inches, 3 foot hitch and 24 foot trailer!

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, manholt said:

Joe, you might reconsider getting a 24 foot trailer.  You'll be close to 70 feet long and that's 5 feet over the length limit in most States! :o The Aspire is 42 foot 9 inches, 3 foot hitch and 24 foot trailer!

Is 65' really the max length limit for RVs in most states on designated Class I highways, or all highways?    If you do a search online you will not find a correct answer IMHO.  Most of the RV "experts" that have put those state-by-state lists on line never mention anything about what class highway they are talking about.   If they would divide it out into Class I designated routes and compare that to Class III routes you would see a huge difference in requirements.   So in other words, if you have a 45' motorhome and you are towing a 28' trailer (76'-77' total length), and you are willing to stick to all designated Class I routes (Interstates and most National Highways), and never venture more than 5 miles off, then you will never get pulled over and seldom be in actual violation anyway.

I am basing this on my experience/training in my career as an Illinois State Trooper.   You may or may not agree with my opinion on this RV length subject.  Everyone should decide for themselves what length they think is legal and are comfortable with.   

Joe.

I'm quite sure that when you was a State Trooper, you heard every excuse in the book and then some....now your the one doing it.  Fine, but don't complain, when you get pulled over!  Don't even try to talk your way/or tell a Texas Cop that your a retired Trooper...won't do you no good.  If US President LBJ couldn't get away with speeding, you won't get away with breaking the law either! :blink::wacko::angry:

I have a lot of friends that are both working and retired cops in Texas, NM, AZ, CA, LA, and Florida...we are all Master Masons and Shriners.  They have always toed the line and up held the law as written and left the interpretation to the court.  Then some one like you come along and want to bend it to serve your own purpose! :angry:

I believe the important point Joe is making is that there are DIFFERENT restrictions based on class of roads, with Interstates and main U.S. highways being less restrictive than secondary road.

Would be good for a retired trucker or someone with more details to chime in.  Best, if a link to a site with details.

It is a subject I know NOTHING about, as no interest in a long coach towing a long trailer.

Brett, I think it was around 2015 that we had a long running post on the length, weight, LLC and no LLC issue.  With charts & State by State laws on Interstate's! :)

What do they say, "Ignorance is not an excuse?"

We may have reciprocity in driver's licenses and inspections but not in any any other areas that I know of. If a state wants to restrict to 55' then it is their law and violating it will get you a ticket if stopped.

I have a number of posts on my RV Tire Blog that mention TPMS including one titled "Best TPMS". There are many reasons for the best system for me is not the best system for you just as there is no "best" tire or "Best" RV or even "best" pizza.

I do suggest that no matter which brand of TPMS you or anyone else ends up with you at least review THIS post on how I suggest you adjust the settings on your system.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, manholt said:

Joe.

I'm quite sure that when you was a State Trooper, you heard every excuse in the book and then some....now your the one doing it.  Fine, but don't complain, when you get pulled over!  Don't even try to talk your way/or tell a Texas Cop that your a retired Trooper...won't do you no good.  If US President LBJ couldn't get away with speeding, you won't get away with breaking the law either! :blink::wacko::angry:

I have a lot of friends that are both working and retired cops in Texas, NM, AZ, CA, LA, and Florida...we are all Master Masons and Shriners.  They have always toed the line and up held the law as written and left the interpretation to the court.  Then some one like you come along and want to bend it to serve your own purpose! :angry:

Carl, don't get your panties in a huge wad over this now.  I was simply trying to relate my knowledge of how the length law actually could effect me.  I'm not making excuses or trying to "badge" my way past certain laws.  And even though you totally disrespected me and my 34 years of public service by stating "then someone like you comes along and wants to bend it to serve your own purpose!", I'll give you a pass on it once and try to re-state what I said again.

Some RV publications I have read over the years make general statements about certain length and weight laws for different states.  However, some of those restrictions are thrown out the window if you stay on the GREAT BIG 4 LANE ROAD, you know Carl, the interstate highway system.  This is considered a Class I highway system.  Along with the interstates being a Class I, most U.S. Routes are Class I.  The problem comes into play when a RV combination over 65' gets off the interstate and drives down 15 miles of country and city roads to get to a state park or campground.  You are allowed 5 miles from a Class I for repairs, fuel, or rest, but not further than that.  

Now if I drive my RV combination on most of the State highways in the U.S., well then I very well could be in violation in many states.  This is something I will not do and a traveling restriction I considered prior to making the decision on purchasing this type of RV combination.  Now Carl maybe we should try to keep our comments at least respectful and not revert to personal attacks.   It really serves no purpose on a public RV forum where we are trying to exchange ideas and/or help each other.

My apologies to the OP for letting this get off the subject so far.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, wolfe10 said:

I believe the important point Joe is making is that there are DIFFERENT restrictions based on class of roads, with Interstates and main U.S. highways being less restrictive than secondary road.

Would be good for a retired trucker or someone with more details to chime in.  Best, if a link to a site with details.

It is a subject I know NOTHING about, as no interest in a long coach towing a long trailer.

You hit the nail on the head.  There are actually two sets of laws that govern commercial trucker's in every state they travel through.  The Federal regulations are the exact same throughout the U.S. for all commercial truck traffic.  Most professional truck driver's know these laws inside and out, as do most State Troopers in each state.  Generally speaking local police are not trained or certified in these laws.  Of course, each state has their own statutes and some of those could "bleed" over with a little different requirement than the Federal regulations.  

Now you might say that the Federal regs only apply to commercial truck traffic, which is correct.  But generally speaking each state will not make their length, width, height, and weight restrictions less for RVs than they would for commercial trucks on designated Class I and sometimes Class II highways.  Now on lesser classified roads most states will restrict the length, width, and weight of course, and they could even restrict the same parameters for an RV differently.

I am no expert on these issues any longer.   It has been many years since my 26 weeks at the academy and several years since retirement.  Heck, I wasn't even in uniform for the last 12 years or so of my career.  But I know where to find most of the legal information and I know how to read both federal and local statutes.   I guess the important thing to remember for anyone that will be exceeding 65' in their RV combination is to purchase a Trucker's Atlas and stick to Class I designated highways.  

I guess, if your going to knowingly be 10'-20' over, then get a permit for the  Highways you most often drive...they have them, but I don't know how much it is or for how long it's good.  We measured mine yesterday and it's gross 64 feet, 3 inches!  Had no idea a 45' coach, and a 2  door jeep was that long! :o

Linda reminded me off all the Totters pulling 40' Stacker trailers that we see on the Interstate and other secondary roads! 

Sorry Joe, my bad ! 

On 10/25/2017 at 6:55 AM, ISPJS said:

Welcome danschreiner.  We are in the middle of making a deal on the same make/year coach (14 Aspire 42RBQ).  I currently have a flow thru TPMS on my gas coach with only six sending sensors.  I can't recall the exact brand but it was one of the popular ones when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago for a different RV.  It works great but I am guessing it won't work very well with my new coach plus I'll need six additional sensors.

I'll be towing a 24' enclosed trailer with of course dual axles so it is very important to me right from the start to monitor those tires as well.  I'm looking at a couple different systems and they seem to have gotten a little cheaper.  I don't want the flow thru sensors again because they are slow getting air into and slightly larger is size.  I don't care about it being integrated into any of my other systems because there is enough stuff already there I need to see and monitor anyway.  Just a simple stand alone system with 12 sensors, signal booster for the trailer being towed, and a monitor that is big enough and bright enough to be viewed in sunlight.

You need to know that identifying the minimum CIP in trailer application is different than how you identify the minimum for MH. I have a number of posts specific to trailer application. Rather than take up space and go off topic I suggest a visit to my blog and use the list of topics on the left side.

Roger, isn't the rule that trailer tires should be inflated to the max load capacity and MH's to the weighed load capacity?