fagnaml

Group 31 Heavy Duty Engine Battery

My motorhome has two, five year old "engine starting" Interstate 31-MHD batteries  (950 CCA, 195 minute reserve charge) that are showing signs of being bad.   Replacement Interstate batteries cost $150 each (plus taxes).  The Batteries + Bulbs store near my home sells Duracell SLI31SA batteries with the same 950 CCA but somewhat lower 175 minute reserve charge.   The Duracell battery only cost $95 each (plus sales taxes).    Both the Interstate and Duracell batteries are fully sealed.   The cost for two Duracell batteries is $120 LESS than two Interstate batteries which is very enticing.

Does the forum have any experience with heavy duty, engine starting Duracell batteries?   If "yes", was that experience good or bad?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mike, do you have a NAPA near you? Check there pricing if so. I put three of these in our coach this past spring;

https://www.napaonline.com/p/NBE7234

Attributes  

Battery BCI #: Group 31
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F: 1125 CCA
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F: 1380
Battery Posts Type: Stud
Battery Reserve Capacity (Minutes): 195 min
Battery Voltage: 12 Volts
Battery Warranty in Months: 36
Battery Weight: 61 lbs
Height: 9 1/2 in.
Length: 13 in.
UNSPSC: 25191806
Width: 6 3/4 in.

I have no luck with OEM batteries at work, usually only last 1-2 years and die, much lighter also which makes me think they are built to a different spec.

I still have my 2000/2001 Safari Zanzibar with is's original Interstate "Workhorse" chassis batteries. They still hold up to a stress test. Unfortunately they discontinued the particular battery. The coach has always been plugged in when not in use. The charging criteria of contemporary batteries is definately different that it was 17 years ago.

I replaced my start batteries  2 years ago with OEM group 31 batteries from thee local Freightliner store. I asked last month and they still had them on sale for $69.95 each. 

925 CCA at 0* and 1110 at 32*

They seam to be holding up. 

Bill

All 10 of mine are NAPA !  Had Interstate and they lasted 4 years.... can't do a comparison until 2019....If I'm still here, I'll let you know, if your still here! LOL