rfsod48

Toad Oil Change

I had a friend ask a question today, with a toad do you change its oil based on all miles including towed or only miles driven? I told him I only change oil on miles driven but would ask what others do. 

This topic brings up other routine maintenance questions I have pondered for my Jeep Wrangler "toad".  I concur with Brett that my Wrangler's engine oil / filter change frequency (5,000 miles for me) is determined by the miles I drive the Jeep (my presumption is the odometer doesn't count miles when the engine is "off").   However there are other mileage related routine maintenance items associated with Jeep that I've been pondering:

1) Tire mileage, routine rotation & balancing, etc. --> the tire mileage I think should include the time and miles while I'm towing my Jeep AND the miles I drive the Jeep.  I rotate/balance tires every 5,000 miles (+/-).  Since my weekend outings for now are rather infrequent (except for LSU football season) I keep a "mental total" (not written log) of tire mileage while the Jeep is towed in between tire rotations.  The total driven + towed mileage will eventually dictate when the tires need replacing.

2) Differentials (axles) oil checking / replacing.   The Jeep's owner's manual says check the differential oil every 20,000 miles and replace at 120,000 miles (which I'm a long way from).   I just realized that I have not added "towed mileage" to the odometer reading and when to check the differential oil. 

3) Automatic transmission and transfer case oil checking / replacing will follow the driven miles (i.e. odometer reading).

Am I taking the proper "mileage" approach with regards to tires and drive train maintenance?

As long as your not off roading, like me...you got the right idea!  I never rotate my tires, but I do have my alignment checked every year.  I have my front/rear differential checked for water each month that I have been off road, especially after fording streams and puddles, snow and slush! :P

Air filter replaced every 4 month's!  Lube every 4 months!  Oil change every 3,000 miles!  My Jeep has more towed miles than driven. :)

On 11/28/2017 at 3:47 PM, wolfe10 said:

The engine is ONLY working with the engine on, so driven miles are all that counts.

Agree.  However, I log towed miles and total them with the miles driven in order to rotate the tires at the correct time.  Honda says to change the transmission fluid earlier, too.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

Agree.  However, I log towed miles and total them with the miles driven in order to rotate the tires at the correct time.  Honda says to change the transmission fluid earlier, too.

Totally agree.  Service intervals are related to "work" by a component.  Tire, differential and in some cases, the transmission "works" when towing.

Interesting topic.  I considered that I needed to change differential oils based upon driven and towed miles as the gears are always engaged (right?) but my 4WD Jeep had a Neutral disconnect and while things are still turning in there I assume the transmission/transfer case oil would only need to be changed based upon driven miles.  Does that sound right?  I just had the transmission/transfer case oil pan replaced under warranty (117,000 miles!) so I must assume all new oil as of now and mileage to change starts at 0 now.

Bill.  Yes!  I base that upon the thought that you don't (or can't) go extreme 4 wheeling as I do!  I don't foresee my Wrangler lasting 117,000 miles...:lol:  I have never seen a Liberty in the Lizard Pass Mountain range in Colorado or the back country of Moab,  Utah.

And you will never see my Liberty there either!  No interest and wouldn't want to own a vehicle capable of doing that kind of driving.

Carl --

Not to divert from the topic too much, but have you explored the Hidden Falls Adventure Park near Marble Falls?   It is a large, 3,000 acre "paid" park for Wranglers, ATVs, motorcycles, etc.  My "OEM" equipped Sahara could handle ~2/3 of the trails in the park.  The other 1/3 of the trails especially the blue "high risk of roll-over and injury or death" trails takes a Rubicon will all of the rock climbing toys added.   Hidden Falls Adventure Park is a great place to enjoy some off-road time while also enjoying the Texas Wine Country.

6 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Its a Jeep thing, Bill.  We Wrangler owners wave at all Wranglers; Patriots and Cherokees not so much, they're not really Jeeps.

I didn't buy the Liberty so I could be part of some club.  It's setup for towing from the factory and easy to tow.  The fact that it's also quite and comfortable is just a bonus.  When we had to work in Detroit for some part of a couple of Winters the 4WD turned out to be the ultimate bonus.  It will never see a pile of rocks, however.

Hidden Falls.

Yes, many times since I moved part time to Linda's place in Burnet, 21 mile drive!  Got a dozen+ friends from Houston Area that come up a couple of times a month.  All they do is the Blue Trails...been on one, one time & almost lost it.  Now that I have a set off 35" tires and 100% articulation, I'll try it again in 2 weeks! :)

Bill.  Some do, some don't....I understand. :lol:

Two things Bill. Its not a club its more like a cult and if a Patriot sees a pile of rocks it turns and runs. A pile of pebbles is a maybe.

About Hidden Falls, I travel 281 and beginning Friday afternoon the Jeeps are steadily run north, most on trailers. Sunday afternoon they are heading back south much dirtier and often in more than one piece. They'll spend the better part of the week repairing so they'll be ready for the next weekend.

ust   mpty   very    ocket

Yes, I also see them, but mostly from the North to South on 281.  Have a friend who modifies or builds them from frame up...all are on trailer, because their not street legal...client's from all over the World.  He's up testing every month for 4 days!  They all leave in one piece!