eric@babin.com

Water Pump Inoperative

I know what you guys are thinking.... "dang, this guy has a new problem everyday".

Yes, I think I do.

Today:

Water pump inoperative.  Indicator lamp shows it is on, but when needed, it doesn't run. Nothing....  (I assume it's not running since I can't hear it... and in the past, I could).

Not sure if the indicator lamp means it has power, thus no problem with fuse????? 

Speaking of fuse, anyone have an idea of where that might be, before I call Fleetwood?

Also.... where is the pump?  Probably near the water intake?

My coach info:  2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrrow 36U

As always... thank you in advance for the advice!

Eric,

Your pump should be in the storage bay near your fresh water tank and close to the freshwater distribution system.  Follow the piping from the tank and you should be able to locate it.

Pump not working?  How cold has it been in your locale?  is your pump frozen?

Blake

The light on is a pretty good sign that there is power to the pump in most cases. I agree with Blake that the pump maybe frozen and can not operate, but if you haven't been below freezing as we have, there may be other issues. All have had to learn and after thirty+ years of RV'ing, I still learn something new almost everyday, by actually having the problem or just reading the forum to learn more. Never hesitate to ask questions here, no matter how simple or complex, helps us on our toes and helps us to learn also.

48 minutes ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

I know what you guys are thinking.... "dang, this guy has a new problem everyday".

Yes, I think I do.

Today:

Water pump inoperative.  Indicator lamp shows it is on, but when needed, it doesn't run. Nothing....  (I assume it's not running since I can't hear it... and in the past, I could).

Not sure if the indicator lamp means it has power, thus no problem with fuse????? 

Speaking of fuse, anyone have an idea of where that might be, before I call Fleetwood?

Also.... where is the pump?  Probably near the water intake?

My coach info:  2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrrow 36U

As always... thank you in advance for the advice!

What is the temperature where you are? How long has it ben below freezing? Are you running the furnace for heat? What faucet are you opening to see if the pump is working? Do you have the water pump turned on at the main power panel? Do you have a IR digital thermometer, They are helpful for trouble shooting temperature issues. 

Bill

Lighted switches will continue to work as a functioning switch even when the indicator light fails.  Find the 12V fuse panel in your coach.  Your owners manual should have information on where it is located.  Fuses should be labeled and are usually easy to pull and examine. 

If the fuse is good, put a test meter on the incoming line to the fuse to determine if power is arriving at the fuse.  If so, pull the switch and test it for power. 

If you have power through the switch then it is time to go back to the owners manual to determine where to find the water pump.  Take your test meter and check the power supply at the meter (be sure the switch is on). 

If the power is good to the pump and you have determined that it isn't frozen, the the problem must be a failure of the pump.

Eric, there is a latching relay - that the water pump switch activates. You mentioned that the light is on at the switch. 

That would indicate that the relay energized. So 2 items to check have been mentioned !

The 12 volt fuse in the DC power panel. Could be a 7 amp, 10 amp or 15 amp fuse depending on the current requirement of the pump.

The second - is the possibility of the pump being frozen and the lines between it and the water tank and between the pump and where the lines enter the coach.

Water lines running to and from the water heater also could be frozen. 

Cold weather prodigal, is to open all the cabinet doors to allow more heat to circulate . Also--- you might need to add a heat lamp in the water bay and pump area to warm up the area. Trouble lights work and or a clamp on light with 40 to 60 watt bulb(s) 

Run your furnace(s) to raise the bay temperature, internal space heater does not help in this case.

No direct contact with the lines, pump or tank. 

Rich. 

Fleetwood more often then not places the DC power panel right next to the AC power panels.

It is below freezing here during the night..... we have been running the propane basement heater since we are living in the coach..... the basement area seemingly has been kept pretty toasty.

We are on city water, and have been, so of course that is allowing us to have water with no issues.  I just know we'll be boondocking next week so I'd like to figure the pump out.

I'll look for the fuse now.

Eric,

Lots of moving parts here.  Forgive me if I get too elementary.

Are you testing the water pump with shore water turned off?  Water pump may not activate if supplied (campground) pressure is higher than what the pump calls for.

Given that when you pull the fuse the switch light comes on and does when the fuse inserted, most likely you have current there.  Do you have the ability to test current to the pump harness at the pump.  Electrical tester with probes needed there.  If that's okay then you could have a bad pump.  I had a travel trailer that the pump went out with less than a year on it.

Blake

Blake is correct.  If you are saying the fresh water pump isn't coming on while you are hooked up to a city fixture then you need to turn the water off coming from the CG feed and then try the pump by opening a faucet.  Also, depending on how your system is set up you may need to move a valve in the water compartment to switch from city/CG water to coach water tank.  

That's how mine is, a ball valve with handle, up for city and horizontal for fresh.  I also have a touch pad/pads inside to turn fresh water on/off...my pump will run on city water if pressure is low!  90% of the time city pressure is higher than pump, so pump will not come on! :)

Eric, when it gets warmer, shut of city and then turn on pump, if it's working you will have water.  If not, take a aspirin and come back. :lol: