ktconners

Trip from Hilton Head to CT

Question

Hi, we are brand new to having a motorcoach. We currently have a Class A 37' gas Bounder. We want to go visit the grandkids and this would be our first long trip. We don't have any time restrictions. I was thinking of catching I-26 out of Charleston, up to I-77 to I-81, then taking I-84 into Hartford. This is mainly because I don't want to deal with the bridges and congestion of I-95 up in the NE, until I am more comfortable driving this thing!  Anyhow, it looks like I-81 follows the Appalachians up. Does anyone have an idea if this route would work for my rookie voyage?  Thanks in advance.... 

I find that Interstate travel can get pretty boring interspersed with periods of heavy tractor trailer excitement especially on a long trip from SC to CT.  I’m a bit familiar with your proposed route.  Since you have no time limit you might want to try mixing some more scenic 4-lane state highway travel into your route.  When I travel from Atlanta to DC I take I-85 to Greensboro and then Hwy-27 to I-66 into DC.

So I your case, I-26 to Columbia, I-77 to Charlotte, I-85 in Greensboro, then Hwy-27.  Hwy -27 becomes Hwy-15 for the last miles to I-66.  You then can pick up I-81 a bit further west (@30 miles) via I-66.  I find this to be is a nice scenic much less stressful route.  You do miss a lot of traffic via this route.  If you are still feeling a bit adventurous you might consider continuing on Hwy-15 to Harrisburg.  I have not traveled further North on Hwy-15 but it can take you around Leesburg and Frederick up to Harrisburg, PA where you can catch I-81.  Just a thought…

rs,

I to like to take the more scenic route when going to a new place. On our first trip to Perry in 2014 I decided to take Hwy 82 as far as we could from our home in Whitewright Texas. We can pickup 82 just 8 miles North. I had been on 82 many times across the bottom of Arkansas and into Greenville Mississippi. But not East from there. Through Mississippi we got to visit Tuscaloosa then Montgomery but the high lite was Tuskegee. The Tuskegee Airman Museum was a great inspiration.

It was a one time trip. All of the roads through Mississippi were  two lane with shoulders that were 18" max with drop offs. You had to be on your toes much more than normal. As I said one time trip that we wouldn't miss for the world, but will not do it again.

Herman

I can attest to that.  Herman talked me into the same route 2 years ago. Very scenic, but this 45 footer is in no hurry to that road again!

I-81 is a good highway, but a lot of long hills and curves, in my Diesel I had no problems, your gasser is going to be slow on the long uphill's and probably be following a bunch of 18 wheelers most of the time!  I would take I-95 to Richmond, then I-64 to I-81 to Conn.  By the time you get 300 miles up the road, you'll not feel intimidated at all.

Working your way to I-84 in the Scranton- Wilkes Barre is a good Idea. As a trucker residing in south central PA I often used 84 when heading into New England. 

Hope that you are waiting for spring before you depart.

Thank you all for your thoughts! Yes this will be a spring trip. Being the first trip, it is a little intimidating but I know you are right. Once we get cooking, all will be good! I really appreciate all of the great info.....thx... 

1 hour ago, ktconners said:

Thank you all for your thoughts! Yes this will be a spring trip. Being the first trip, it is a little intimidating but I know you are right. Once we get cooking, all will be good! I really appreciate all of the great info.....thx... 

Welcome to the forum and being new Bounder owners. You can find more info hear about Bounders of America.  www.bounder.org/ 

I think there is a Bounder chapter not far from you.

When heading north it is recommended not to cross the Hudson on the George Washington Bridge right obedb.

Bill  

Thanks, yes I have heard to stay away from GW. Haven’t figured out how I will reach down to pay someone .75 for a toll yet either. So want to stay away from that also if possible!  Anyhow, thanks again!

Pay for toll

Throw it at them. :lol: Sorry!  Most of them, if you have the change, you just drop it in a big hopper.  18 wheelers has your height also! :P Always carry a bunch of quarters!

Wish you safe journey and welcome back anytime for anything! :)

Bill/ I will admit that the view from the GW upper level (preferably) when crossing from New Jersey into NYC is something. Nothing like it , in my estimation, if you want to see the Big Apple in all of it's majesty from a moving vehicle. However, do it in your toad only and hope for a traffic slow down so everyone can enjoy it. At night it is something to see also.

I crossed the bridge for the first time in 1969 in a big rig and for the last time around '96 or so. I would never take something as frail as a motorhome over it. If  I was still trucking, NYC would be crossed off of my list of acceptable loads. Yea! I know there will be people that say that it is no big deal. They must have had a really good day.  Trucks  far more rugged than an rv so they have a better chance of weathering the storm, but never again. Of course after you cross the bridge into NYC, you have the Cross Bronx to deal with.

10 hours ago, ktconners said:

Thanks, yes I have heard to stay away from GW. Haven’t figured out how I will reach down to pay someone .75 for a toll yet either. So want to stay away from that also if possible!  Anyhow, thanks again!

Not shure where you are hearing the toll on the GW is $0.75 but the last time I paid it the toll was $76.00 with out a EZ-Pass. I don't know what it is with because I haven't gone back across since I got my pass.

The Tappan Z is about $26.00 with out a EZ-Pass. I would highly recommend you get a EZ-Pass before your trip it will save you money and is more convent to use. Get one for your car and one for the coach. When towing the car put the pass in the bag they give you and put it in the glove compartment so it isn't read. You are charged a lesser toll than if you disconnected and drove the toad separate from the Coach.

Any questions just ask.

Bill

$76??  Crossed the GW 2 years ago in the RV with toad, no EZpass, don't recall exactly how much it was but more like a few $$'s, no where near $76....

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

$76??  Crossed the GW 2 years ago in the RV with toad, no EZpass, don't recall exactly how much it was but more like a few $$'s, no where near $76....

Strange I went and looked this up. Look up how many axels, most likely either 4 or 5.

I have never gone South on the GW but on the Tappan Z it is free.  

https://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

Bill

This is odd.  According to the chart, if I am reading it right, we would have been charged a minimum of $33.  (no tag on our coach)

I don't recall paying anywhere near that. 

Living in Ontario where we often have to travel thru Toronto, we do everything we can to avoid the toll hwys due to their ridiculously exorbitant cost here.  Usually about 5 times what the tolls are in the U.S.

After seeing that, I'll be taking another route since I'm 3 axels!

Ian. Ref: Canada Tolls...I feel your pain!  I came thru Toronto in 2014 & left a big hunk of cash.  Will not take that "short cut" again!

16 minutes ago, manholt said:

I'll be taking another route since I'm 3 axels!

Lift the tag at the toll booth entrance :D

If you run 84 the bridge you will cross is not the Tappen Zee,  it would be the Newburg Beacon Bridge, the Tappen Zee is still to close to and surrounded by chaos for me! That surrounding area has really grown and built up! depending on the time of day you could sit for miles in congestion. 

I travel into New England a few times a year for work, I wont use the Tappen Zee bridge in a car, the GW... NO WAY unless I'm headed into NYC for work, and if the inside of my car could talk, oh the stories it would tell :unsure:.......

Broke a motor mount in my co car on the GW, full throttle to full ABS skid, that what you do onto and off of the GW! 

Hey Bill, yea just made up that 75 cent thing. I was really referring to tolls in general. Am brand new to this world and have not gone through a toll booth yet. I guess I am one of these guys that worries about crap before it happens! Thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, ktconners said:

I am one of these guys that worries about crap before it happens!

Nothing wrong with that :P! If you didn't, can you imagine your face when they asked for all of that money :o

3 hours ago, ktconners said:

Right? Then you realize you don’t have the cash in your wallet. Then the horns start.... Goes downhill from there I think!

That is why I said to get setup with a EZ-Pass before you go. It makes life a lot easier, you can in many places not have to go through the toll lanes or stop at the toll booth's. Get one for your car for the same reason.

Bill

I get it now. They have an EZ pass lane for the Sunshine Skyway bridge going into St. Pete. I didnt realize they were nationwide. Thought it was just a state thing. Great idea....thx...

I can't use my Texas EZ on the East Coast, same in reverse.  But, if you plan on visiting your kids more than once, then get EZ tag/tags, for the States that you would most likely be on a Toll Road.

6 hours ago, ktconners said:

I get it now. They have an EZ pass lane for the Sunshine Skyway bridge going into St. Pete. I didnt realize they were nationwide. Thought it was just a state thing. Great idea....thx...

If you go to the main EZ-Pass website you can see where a EZ-Pass can be used. The toll system in Florida is not in the system yet. The government passed a bill requiring all toll systems to merge and be interoperable 2 years  ago. So far they haven't got that to work yet. 

https://www.ezpassnh.com/page/toll-facilities-participating-in-e-zpass

One thing I remember is when I tried to sine up on line they were insisting I had to have a "Commercial account" When I walked in I didn't have to go Commercial. I believe it saves a little on the tolls and how much you need in your account.

Bill