rfsod48

Buying a gas class A

I know most of us are diesel mh owners but if you were going to buy a class A gasser which would be the brand you would chose and why.

thanks,

Roland 

Roland.  Huh!  You got a DP!

I had a 2006 Southwind 32Foot, 3 slides...Could not tow anything over 5,000#...other than that, it was great.  Bought it new, sold it 16 months later.  No problems of any kind.  Today, don't have a clue! :P

I would buy a Tiffin 36LA. Had a WB gasser in 2012, very poor workmanship and materials. Almost bought the 36LA but happened to look at the Phaeton next to it..😉

Roland:

‘I looked hard at gas class A’s. Came down to Tiffin 36LA and Fleetwood Bounder 35K.  Went with Bounder do to inability to justify cost difference of between coaches.  Bought in 2014 and have put 25,000 mile on coach.  Major additional investments were on suspension of coach, 4 down towing rigging, and TPMS.  Wife still wants a washer and dryer.  Most of the problems experienced with coach have been like a slow drip, after intital debugging something alwayseems to go wrong.  Point is consider dealer support in you equation.

regards,

Phil

The only way I would ever buy another Class A gas (assuming it was on a F53 chassis) is if it was going to be parked in one CG all summer and then driven less than 20 miles and stored.  In other words, I would never own another one to actually travel in.

We had a Thor Challenger (2014) 37GT.  Did front end alignment, Safe T Plus, Sumos all around, and it was still a pain to drive down the interstate.  If the thing even saw a 2% grade a mile ahead it would start screaming!

If we ever get rid of our present DP we will be going back to a fiver, lots of room and good drivability. 

Roland for me it would be Newmar. But I would want to see a list of materials first and their origins. The industry is flooded with overseas materials that are unsafe for humans, Tiffin uses them but puts warning labels throughout the interior not to be inside for any extended amount of time. I would prefer not to expose my family to that. This is a common practice on lower end coaches (lower price point that is) and most trailers.

Our friends trailer (made by Thor) doesn't have the labels but the caustic odor is so bad it gags you after a few minutes. never dissipated after three years of ownership.

Gasser.

I'm with Joe L. for about the same reason, but will add on Customer Service.  Newmar is famous for it.  I would go after the top gas unit & Liquid springs! 

There used to be gassers with tag axel.  Wish that was available in a modern Gas unit.

The smell is Formaldehyde!!!  Still used in FEMA trailers...Against the law, for manufacturing in America!

I have to agree with Phil.  Dealer support is a huge in deciding what brand to buy.  Further to this, manufacturer support is likely even more  important.

Between the trailers and MH's we have owned over the last 20 years, none have come without issues.  What made the difference between them was warranty support.

We are happy with our 2010 WB Suncruiser 37F gasser.  What has made the biggest difference in drivability between it and previous gassers we have owned is the Workhorse engine and Allison transmission powertrain.  A huge improvement on the previous Ford chassis we have owned.  No more screaming up the hill! 

While the price of a new gas mh is attractive, the drivability and weight limits make it a no for me. I plan to plug along with my present DP until I win the lottery! Buying another used DP doesn’t hold any attraction to me now, who knows what the future will bring.

Roland, new or used will have bugs to work out. The only difference is who pays for it and how long the coach is out of reach.

Depending on new dealer support will really make different manufacturers stand out. Having to take everything back to the manufacturer because of poor dealer support is unacceptable to me and is a direct reflection of the manufacturer. 

8 hours ago, jleamont said:

Roland for me it would be Newmar. But I would want to see a list of materials first and their origins. The industry is flooded with overseas materials that are unsafe for humans, Tiffin uses them but puts warning labels throughout the interior not to be inside for any extended amount of time. I would prefer not to expose my family to that. This is a common practice on lower end coaches (lower price point that is) and most trailers.

Our friends trailer (made by Thor) doesn't have the labels but the caustic odor is so bad it gags you after a few minutes. never dissipated after three years of ownership.

Hmmm, someone must have gone through our Phaeton and removed all these labels. Never saw one