GABob

Valve Stem Stabilizers

Question for someone with a later E450 Ford Chassis...by chance do you know the size of the valve stem stabilizer needed for the 4 slot w16 inch wheel? I keep the RV about 30 mins away and would like to order some without having to run over there. Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Aufgeblassen said:

What can go unstable about a valve stem?

😎😎😎 just curious 😎😎😎

Especially if you are using a tire pressure monitor system. The sensors will whip around by the force of the rotation and wind combinations. this could damage the valve stem. It's nice to have the stability of the rubber wheel grommet.

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Especially if you are using a tire pressure monitor system. The sensors will whip around by the force of the rotation and wind combinations. this could damage the valve stem. It's nice to have the stability of the rubber wheel grommet.

I'm about to add valve stem extenders (hard, not flexible) and TPMS at the ends, but am pretty sure my valves are hard mounted (i.e. METAL), rather than just rubber,  so should be fine.

BTW:  They don't "whip around".  The G forces are static, rather than dynamic when wheel is spinning.

I mean big rig trucks have hard mounted valve extenders w/o "stabilizers" - no worries. 

Not whipping around but there will be much more vibration where the stem goes into the tire.  The rubber wheel grommets for the stems are not that expensive. Dually Valve is where I got mine from.

My solid inner stems were not supported, they notched the outer wheel from rotation. For Less than $20.00 they are now supported. 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:26 PM, wayne77590 said:

They don't "bounce around"!  The G-forces go in one direction ONLY; NOT dynamic vibration, "bouncing around" the TPMS sensor.  The very MOST that would happen, is it gradually contacts the rim (with increasing vehicle speed) & simply stops there.  No worries! 😃

2 hours ago, Aufgeblassen said:

They don't "bounce around"!  The G-forces go in one direction ONLY; NOT dynamic vibration, "bouncing around" the TPMS sensor.  The very MOST that would happen, is it gradually contacts the rim (with increasing vehicle speed) & simply stops there.  No worries! 😃

Wow, thank you for your observations. But I don't drive on a glass smooth surface. The roads I am on have tar strips potholes bridge transitions rumble strips and generally rough surface.  I am pretty shure that if it vibrates the entire coach it is causing the valve stems to bounce around especially if you have a TPMS sensor on the end of it and unsupported. You might shoot some video and prove me wrong. :P

Bill

9 hours ago, Aufgeblassen said:

You're stating the valve stem "gradually contacts the rim & simply stops there". You don't really believe that do you? 

9 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

You're stating the valve stem "gradually contacts the rim & simply stops there". You don't really believe that do you? 

yes, it stops there, said another way...the stem stress fractures and you stop on the side of the road. That I believe....wait, I experienced it with the last coach, turned into roadside triage. :wacko:, as Herman says, "I got a shirt to prove it", well maybe not a shirt, but I have a DW to remind me of it, every time we pass that spot! happened on Thanksgiving day 5 years ago on I-95 in Baltimore

Aufgeblassen.

I'm no expert on what happens, when my 45 foot "Rolling Earthquake", goes down the road.  I do know, that as a retired engineer, all static equations are dysfunctional !  So, with that said, I would appreciate some proof.

Oh, OK.  I did not take into account for less than ideally aimed valve stems.  If aimed properly, there should be nowhere near enough flexing of the valve stem (or TPMS) to impact the rim.  If you have THAT much flexing, the valve stem would fatigue & fail in short order.  They are generally designed for 100s of 1,000's of miles (i.e. for like big rigs). 😎

Aufgeblassen,

I have grommets for my long stems, apparently you don't. Bookmark this page and in a couple years we will compare notes, if that is okay.😀

14 hours ago, manholt said:

Big Rigs ?  Talk to Joe, I think he's got several dozen in his care...OTR's! :P

1300 TRACTORS

3000 TRAILERS

500 FORKLIFTS

We do not use valve stem extenders at work. You have to keep them simple here, the more to break from abuse the more road calls :wacko:

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

1300 TRACTORS

3000 TRAILERS

500 FORKLIFTS

We do not use valve stem extenders at work. You have to keep them simple here, the more to break from abuse the more road calls :wacko:

They had 'em on trailers with companies (4 different ones from 5/05-6/13) I leased onto as a CVPOO (Commercial Vehicle Professional Owner Operator).  They would have frowned upon me taking them off. 🤩

18 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Trailers we run auto inflation systems on newer. older, nothing.

That was then, this is now.

They don't work too well, when your tire blow to pieces!