five

Refueling At Pilot/FlyingJ

Walmart runs most of their trucks between their distribution centers and the stores they are assigned to. They are usually out and back to home base. Notice I use the word usually. In trucking, nothing is etched in stone. They have their fuel centers on property.  The distribution centers are quite large. Let's say huge. When I knew that I was near a DC in the middle of what seemed like nowhere, I just looked for the lights.

The price per gallon is well below the typical trucker. Other big players in trucking pay a lower price than the small guys could only dream about.  Some big players buy fuel at wholesale prices and have it delivered to select retailers. They pay an agreed to price for the service  the retailer gives. Gotta be big to be able to do that!  The little guys like me did the best we could, and most liked the services the big truck stops offered.  The  % of  business that  motorhomes bring to their plate probably would not be missed or noticed. 

I understand that, but I still like roomy places for fuel stops and quality fuel. Am always glad they are there.

The last time I was concerned about fuel price was driving in Canada to/from AK.. The average price was the equivalent of $6/G.  US. I plan fuel stops for PFJ locations for the convenience. Fuel up, eat dinner, park overnight, eat breakfast and pull out on the super-slab again. If there is any loud noise there we never notice, we trained ourselves to sleep with a white-noise machine long ago.

We all have our own reason's, of where and why we fuel up.  I go for 5% or less BIO, along with lower price, ease of in/out.  Not looking for restroom, food or a shower!  In regards to "good quality fuel", 99.9% of the stations have that today...30, 40, 50 years ago, it was different.  I'm not brand oriented.  The big fuel stops, like PFJ, Loves, Petro, have a high turnover and get their fuel from various refineries!  What you don't know, is when it was refined and how long, has it been stored, since being refined & delivered. 

There is a small refinery in Three Rivers, TX. that supply Loves and PFJ in south TX., but not the Pilot that is 2 miles away! 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, chindog said:

Here's how I do it.  I pull up to the truck lane pump, swipe my RV Plus card, input my pin, and the pump turns on.  I pump diesel into my tank, and put the nozzle back into the holder when done.  Usually the receipt printer is broken or out of tape, so I take a photo of the amount and gallons with my phone.  I drive away, and pay my bill when it is emailed to me.

Are you sure about the truck lanes having receipt printers?  I have been fueling up at Pilot and Flying J's for years in over 35 different states and have yet to see a diesel pump in the big rig lanes with a receipt printer.  Now if you find a Flying J with the RV lanes in front you can use a diesel pump with a receipt printer.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, FIVE said:
Today I called the Pilot/Flying J corp office to question how the RV Plus card was to be used.  She gave me a long explanation, but the bottom line was this:

-  At the RV pump(s): Used exactly like a credit card at any service station.

-  At the big rig pumps:  Pull up and stop at an open pump, note the pump number, go inside, stand in line, tell clerk the pump number and approximately how many gallons of fuel you need...she'll run your card for that much...go outside pump fuel, go inside, stand in line, tell clerk you are finished and need to total actual fuel taken and a receipt, clerk runs card for correct amount, destroys first receipt used for the estimate, and gives you the new receipt, you leave.

I expressed my displeasure....since I can go to my friendly Wal Mart, scan my Visa (or Walmart Gift card for an extra discount), pump the fuel, take the receipt and leave....she just said that's the way it is.

So if anybody can swipe their RV Plus Card at the truck pumps, I'd sure like to know how you are doing it.

Five, sounds like she gave you some correct info and some incorrect info, unless things have changed in the past 2 weeks since I fueled at Pilot.  

There is a PIN for your Pilot RV plus card, memorize it.  Pull into the truck lanes, swipe card, follow directions on screen.  You will be skipping "refer" and "DEF" unless you want one of those picks.  If you want DEF you will need to remove that nozzle and lay it down unless your DEF inlet is right next to your fuel fill (mine is 40' away).  The DEF will sometimes time out if you leave the nozzle hung up after picking it.

Fuel up and when finished you can do one of several things.  You can move your rig up to the line and go inside for a receipt.  You can take a photo of the pump readings and leave.  You can download the I-phone app and get your receipt in about a minute on your phone.  

What I generally do is take a photo of the pump readings, record my mileage, plus receive the I-phone receipt.

Hope this helps, safe travels.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, FIVE said:
Today I called the Pilot/Flying J corp office to question how the RV Plus card was to be used.  She gave me a long explanation, but the bottom line was this:

-  At the RV pump(s): Used exactly like a credit card at any service station.

-  At the big rig pumps:  Pull up and stop at an open pump, note the pump number, go inside, stand in line, tell clerk the pump number and approximately how many gallons of fuel you need...she'll run your card for that much...go outside pump fuel, go inside, stand in line, tell clerk you are finished and need to total actual fuel taken and a receipt, clerk runs card for correct amount, destroys first receipt used for the estimate, and gives you the new receipt, you leave.

I expressed my displeasure....since I can go to my friendly Wal Mart, scan my Visa (or Walmart Gift card for an extra discount), pump the fuel, take the receipt and leave....she just said that's the way it is.

So if anybody can swipe their RV Plus Card at the truck pumps, I'd sure like to know how you are doing it.

Five, sounds like she gave you some correct info and some incorrect info, unless things have changed in the past 2 weeks since I fueled at Pilot.  

There is a PIN for your Pilot RV plus card, memorize it.  Pull into the truck lanes, swipe card, follow directions on screen.  You will be skipping "refer" and "DEF" unless you want one of those picks.  If you want DEF you will need to remove that nozzle and lay it down unless your DEF inlet is right next to your fuel fill (mine is 40' away).  The DEF will sometimes time out if you leave the nozzle hung up after picking it.

Fuel up and when finished you can do one of several things.  You can move your rig up to the line and go inside for a receipt.  You can take a photo of the pump readings and leave.  You can download the I-phone app and get your receipt in about a minute on your phone.  

What I generally do is take a photo of the pump readings, record my mileage, plus receive the I-phone receipt.

Hope this helps, safe travels.