Maddie8511

Reservations Required?

Question

Hello all,  We are planning a trip out west next September.  We will go from Ohio to Seattle, down the California coast and then southern route home.  I have planned it out with RV wizard.  Figuring about 2months.    I have never planned a big trip like this and don’t want to make reservations in case we need more time than I planned.  Do you think we should make reservations or can we hope there are open spots at the campgrounds I selected.    I did try to do as many army Corp of engineers and national parks I could before selecting private campgrounds.

Also, RV wizard has me on some state routes when an interstate is not too far away.    Should we try to stay on interstate routes?   We have a class A camper.    I welcome any ideas or suggestions!!  Thanks in advance!!

17 answers to this question

Maddie8511.  Welcome to the Forum!

Ohio to Seattle, I would make my reservation day by day.  Coastal from OR  thru CA, I would make reservations at least 2 weeks out, especially the further south you get, in CA.  What Southern route?  You did not say.  I try to avoid Interstate hwy's as much as possible!  US & State Hwy's are, for the most part, fine!

What is the make, model & length of your coach?  I have my info under my signature!

Carl

One thing I notice about the Interstates vs. State Highways question is the number and degree of curves and steep grades. Interstates tend to be a bit less windy and have fewer steep grades. We were traveling this week from southern NJ to Lancaster PA. The Interstate route we were following had heavy traffic so the Garmin re-routed us around it. The Garmin is aware of size & weight. The route we ended up on went through a little town called Port Deposit - gorgeous but with a terribly narrow road with a few fairly steep grades and very sharp curves. As we neared the campground we encountered a stretch of road with 12% down grades.

Once you plan a route - whether on state roads or the Interstate system - you can look at it in Google Earth. Once the route is on the map, right-click it on the map and you'll have the option to view the elevation view. Very helpful to plan your day and prepare for steep grades. Otherwise enjoy the view and be sure your co-pilot has the camera ready to capture what you miss while focusing on the road.

You can take any secondary road you want.  In Texas, you'll find that most County Roads are paved and all Farm to Market roads are 75 mph.  Since you have a toad, CA. is 55 mph!  That gets real old, real fast.  If your on I-10  East of Barstow, take as much of Hwy 66 as you can!  

Are you planning to take the Coastal Hwy from Washington down?

I am from Oregon, grew up there. For the most part even today I rarely make reservations as there are many places to just pull off and stop. It is easier yet with your shorty so to speak rig. The small parks along the way in Washington and Oregon are far more friendly to rigs your size than my 43 feet and there are many. Another place maybe not on you stay list are county fair grounds. Many have very nice facilities for very reasonable rates and rarely full. What is more traveling in September is PERFECT for just going with no reservations at all. A couple of suggestions if you like oysters or Dungeness Crab. The annual Oysterfest in Sheldon, Washington and the Dungeness Crab Festival in Port Angles, Washington are held a week apart, just enough time to explore the Olympic Peninsula National Park and Hurricane Ridge. There is a terrific little park near Port Angles named Crescent Beach RV Park, no permanents just lots of grass and the beach water is across the street and the land across the way is CANADA. For you the trip will be amazing. I never run the freeways except as a last resort. The real sights are off of them...you will be fine.

Reservations maybe necessary south of San Francisco but just south is a grove of redwoods/sequoia that is beautiful and reservation not necessary.

PM  me if you would like more info  b

4 hours ago, richard5933 said:

We were traveling this week from southern NJ to Lancaster PA.

WELCOME!! you are in my neck of the woods.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Maddie8511 said:

Hello all,  We are planning a trip out west next September.  We will go from Ohio to Seattle, down the California coast and then southern route home.  I have planned it out with RV wizard.  Figuring about 2months.    I have never planned a big trip like this and don’t want to make reservations in case we need more time than I planned.  Do you think we should make reservations or can we hope there are open spots at the campgrounds I selected.    I did try to do as many army Corp of engineers and national parks I could before selecting private campgrounds.

Also, RV wizard has me on some state routes when an interstate is not too far away.    Should we try to stay on interstate routes?   We have a class A camper.    I welcome any ideas or suggestions!!  Thanks in advance!!

I would at least make reservations for the more popular areas you will be hitting, plus be sure to make reservations for around any of the holidays you may encounter.  A couple years ago we were planning a trip out to Seattle so we could park the RV and take an Alaska cruise.  We made advance reservations and everything worked great at all the CGs going out.  We were lazy and thought we would make the return reservations when the ship came back in.  It was too close to the 4th of July week and we had issues finding sites.

Your rig isn't that long so you will be able to camp about anyplace.  RVParky (I-phone app) is an excellent way to search for CGs.

Good point.  But other than Memorial weekend & The Great Pumpkin, I can't think of anything else in Sept or Oct.  Local Fairs abound, and football games! :D

On 9/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, Maddie8511 said:

We will go from Ohio to Seattle, down the California coast and then southern route home.  I have planned it out with RV wizard.  Figuring about 2months.    

That is a short time for that ambitious of a trip. I would consider adding at least 2 weeks to the front and 2 weeks to the back. Or all on the back a you will be on the southern portion of your trip by then. It would be easy to spend 30 days+ in montana Wyoming and Utah. Last trip that way I spent 30 days in just Utaw. 

As an example I just finished a 90 day 24 state 5,400 mile trip to the north east. I could have stayed on the Carolina, Georgia coast for a little longer but there was this small storm(Harvey) headed in and we decided to head home.  

Do you think we should make reservations or can we hope there are open spots at the campgrounds I selected.    I did try to do as many army Corp of engineers and national parks I could before selecting private campgrounds.

Get a Passport America membership. https://www.passportamerica.com/

My better half doesn't like to travel without reservations. Changing plans has never been a problem. By the way we were in 26 different RV parks in the US and Canada.

Many state and national parks charge as much as commercial parks and have fewer services or worse conditions. Not level, to tight spots. No sewer. Many were laid out and built when it was all tent camping. I would call today to get reservations at Trailer village in the Grand Canyon. That place is worth the effort as you are in the park and the shuttle stops in the campground to take you all over the park to places you can't drive to.

Also, RV wizard has me on some state routes when an interstate is not too far away.    Should we try to stay on interstate routes?  

You can but travel days are for travel. It will take longer and is harder to drive the state routes. I like to move my condo to a new location then use the toad to explore the area. I put 5400 miles on the coach and 6,000 miles on my CR-V. I do have experience driving US and state roads did that from lake Champlain across Vermont New Hampshire and into upper Maine North East of the White mountains. I have done similar out west.

Bill

On 9/27/2018 at 10:53 AM, jleamont said:

WELCOME!! you are in my neck of the woods.

Bill - Sorry I didn't know that sooner. Just checked this thread again and we're already in Ohio. Maybe next time. Gorgeous area though. Have you ever spent time in Port Deposit? Passed it on the way to Lancaster and thought it was worth returning to.

19 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Bill - Sorry I didn't know that sooner. Just checked this thread again and we're already in Ohio. Maybe next time. Gorgeous area though. Have you ever spent time in Port Deposit? Passed it on the way to Lancaster and thought it was worth returning to.

You were in jleamont territory. I am home in the Fort Worth area. 

Bill

Richard, too bad you passed by without saying hello. If you get back out this way in the future send me a PM. Port Deposit MD is 26 miles from our house, I agree it’s a cute town, some good places to eat down that way also.

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Joe knows good places to eat.;)

Bill

As long as they are open when you arrive for dinner, oops, lol

15 hours ago, jleamont said:

Richard, too bad you passed by without saying hello. If you get back out this way in the future send me a PM. Port Deposit MD is 26 miles from our house, I agree it’s a cute town, some good places to eat down that way also.

Sorry about the cross up with names earlier... I'll blame the small screen.

My brother is near Hagerstown, so I am sure we'll be in your area again next year. Look forward to seeing you.

Hagerstown isn’t far at all. Sounds like a plan. Don’t forget the Hershey RV show every September. We walk around and laugh..and laugh and laugh. We go for the latest gadgets and campground information to plan the next vacation. But when you walk through new coaches...then comes the laughing.