Sign in to follow this  
silray

Directv SD obsolete?

Did you mean 2019? 

Directtv has announced it will stop SD broadcasting in 2019 and this will be a problem for those users with a dome antenna that only receives SD.  

The same thing happened to Dish Network. If you have a Winegard contact them and ask if their Direct TV Dome will become obsolete. When it happened to Dish they sold their Dish satellite dish for a discount. I saved about $400.00 on mine.

Good luck and don't forget to call if your dome is a Winegard.

Herman  

Wow! If the stop broadcasting SD then all DTV users will be forced to go with an open faced antenna. There is no DOME on the market that I know of that will received DTV HD.

Herman, DISH still broadcasts SD.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, silray said:

Anyone know if Directv SD satellite receiver antennas are going to be obsolete after April 2018?

I would not be too frantic about the fact that Directv is going to stop SD by the end of this decade, at least that is their plans. The satelites that now broadcast sd are not scheduled to fall out of the sky, only SD will cease. According to their techs, HD will gradually be moved to those satelites, meaning of course that most likely your now SD dish will still receive broadcast from the satelites that now receive SD on. I would suspect that the satelites that now broadcast HD will start broadcasting UHD at that point. A little inside info, and some speculation on my part only because of previous experiences.

Wayne, thank you...that said it all.

Herman, open face antenna only comes on a new coach if you order it...DISH & DIRECTV have different transponders in a open  face & only the base plate are the same for both!