feiter

Traveling with Cats

Hi All!  New RVer and will be making first (and hopefully many more) trip in near future.  My wife refuses to leave the cat at home and have someone feed and look in on.

Cat has not ridden in car in many years and NEVER in RV...any suggestions to make trip best for all concerned?  What do you do with Litter Box?

feiter.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

Make, model, length and # of slide outs, if any, would be helpful.  Cats & Dogs, generally do well in a coach.  With that said, introduce cat to coach and let it move around by itself and get used to it's new home away from home, make sure the slides are out when you do this.  Start loading the bus for travel and find a place in coach that the litter box will live, all the time while traveling and camped.  Your cat,  might just plop down, or it could take several days and nights for it, to get used to it's second home!

The day before you leave, start the engine and see how the cat reacts!  If everything is OK, then pull in the slides.  This is where the fun might start, your cat may now want to leap up and look at the new place to hid...it may decide to investigate the top of the slide when your traveling...be on your toes all the time, remember, if the head fits, the cat fits!

Personally, I would put the cat in a cat carrier, while driving and let it out when camped.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas! 🎄

Our cat seems to enjoy the RV.  Litter box is a pain though.  It lives in the bathroom.  The cat usually gets sick within the first 1/2 hour of driving on the first day only.  She is then fine for the rest of the trip, be it 7 days or 7 months.

My dogs travel in their own pet crate/cage, not because they want to but for safety reasons. If you use one be sure that the crate is secured so it can't become a flying missal in the event of an accident, and of course hope that you never have one, remember the scout motto, "BE PREPARED". And another welcome to the forum!:rolleyes:

We always take our pets with us and our cat Tuffy finds a place to lay down in the back.  We got a new cat last spring and this January will be her first time camping.   

Ray, hope you have better luck with the new one, getting acclimated, than Tuffy!  That was hilarious, I still Lol when I think about your experience!  Happy to hear Tuffy is calm now! :wub:

Click on Pets, scroll down to Tuffy the Cat, first RV'g! 2014

We built the litter box into a cupboard in the bathroom and put a cat door through the door so it could be closed 

Our cat sits on our luggage when we pack to go anywhere and wants to come with us 

Travels well in truck jeep or motorhome 

just wants to be with his humans 

1 hour ago, nitehawk said:

bmo2jti--Don't you mean servants?

Some times it seems that way 

One of our cat Suzie that we had less than a year escaped in Caliente Springs Resort.  After a good while of trying to find her we had to leave her.  The office and nearby neighbors were notified as well as 24petwatch.com since she has a chip.  Tuffy is doing fine and knows what to expect when the engine starts.  DW picked up another black cat like Tuffy from local shelter.  This one is a girl and she named her Nicole.  

How's Nicole doing?  Getting along with Tuffy?  

Linda sat down on a black cat at a friends house, we where outside in the dark!  That was a short and vocal surprise from both and hilarious for the rest of us! :lol:  I have been told, no black dog or cat, will be in our house! :ph34r::)

Nicole is very shy and most of the time for the two days we had her she lives under the bed.  She warm up to DW at times not yet to me.  She and Tuffy has a growling match as she don't want Tuffy stealing her food and he don't like her present.  Give it time, lots of time.  No matter what anybody tells you Black cats are the best cats to have Tuffy is now 8 years old and we had him for 7.  

We got good news tonight.  One of the neighbors at Caliente Springs Resort is getting close to capturing Suzie.  If so we want get her back.  She is about 13,000 miles away so we will have to hove her shipped to us.  I don't know quite how yet.  

:lol: 3 cats in close confinement?  I see a conflict up coming! :ph34r:

A cat carrier and plane ticket.  Don't think UPS ground will work..only thing alive, I have received, is Lobsters in Sea Weed & Dry Ice!  :)

7 hours ago, manholt said:

:lol: 3 cats in close confinement?  I see a conflict up coming! :ph34r:

A cat carrier and plane ticket.  Don't think UPS ground will work..only thing alive, I have received, is Lobsters in Sea Weed & Dry Ice!  :)

Yes, poor Tuffy.  He gets mad every time I pet Nicole'  If it fits, It ships.  I'm getting bids for pet shipping service.  That's putting the cart before the horse.  

Good luck on the 3.  I have 3 cats travelling, but they get along well.  The eldest is a bit of a bully, but that's because he thinks he's a puppy.  I also have a dog that thinks she is a kitty cat.  For 3 cats in the camper, I have 3 litter boxes (the one in the shower is moved to the front when I park). 

And black cats and dogs are the best, even if they aren't quite black.  Good luck abut the 'middle' child.20180325_153618957_iOS.thumb.jpg.a643a64d019ebbe7a76442b0ed7fd493.jpg

Suzie has been recuse as she kept visiting the campsite we were at.  She is now at Palm Springs Animal Shelter.  They are going to arrange  a plane ride at our expense of course to Seattle Airport and we pick her up there.  Still a couple of days away.  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

She does not look happy! :lol:

She has that look of getting a kiss from her aunt weezie sticking her tongue out the side of mouth.   She is never unhappy and rules the house like she was never lost.