feiter

Traveling with Cats

Hi All!  New RVer and will be making first (and hopefully many more) trip in near future.  My wife refuses to leave the cat at home and have someone feed and look in on.

Cat has not ridden in car in many years and NEVER in RV...any suggestions to make trip best for all concerned?  What do you do with Litter Box?

feiter.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

Make, model, length and # of slide outs, if any, would be helpful.  Cats & Dogs, generally do well in a coach.  With that said, introduce cat to coach and let it move around by itself and get used to it's new home away from home, make sure the slides are out when you do this.  Start loading the bus for travel and find a place in coach that the litter box will live, all the time while traveling and camped.  Your cat,  might just plop down, or it could take several days and nights for it, to get used to it's second home!

The day before you leave, start the engine and see how the cat reacts!  If everything is OK, then pull in the slides.  This is where the fun might start, your cat may now want to leap up and look at the new place to hid...it may decide to investigate the top of the slide when your traveling...be on your toes all the time, remember, if the head fits, the cat fits!

Personally, I would put the cat in a cat carrier, while driving and let it out when camped.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas! 🎄

Our cat seems to enjoy the RV.  Litter box is a pain though.  It lives in the bathroom.  The cat usually gets sick within the first 1/2 hour of driving on the first day only.  She is then fine for the rest of the trip, be it 7 days or 7 months.

My dogs travel in their own pet crate/cage, not because they want to but for safety reasons. If you use one be sure that the crate is secured so it can't become a flying missal in the event of an accident, and of course hope that you never have one, remember the scout motto, "BE PREPARED". And another welcome to the forum!:rolleyes:

We always take our pets with us and our cat Tuffy finds a place to lay down in the back.  We got a new cat last spring and this January will be her first time camping.   

Ray, hope you have better luck with the new one, getting acclimated, than Tuffy!  That was hilarious, I still Lol when I think about your experience!  Happy to hear Tuffy is calm now! :wub:

Click on Pets, scroll down to Tuffy the Cat, first RV'g! 2014