mailman

CLASS C and Trav'ler Directv SK SWM-3 Winegard

I am looking for a camper with a Class C that uses a Trav'ler  Winegard Sat Antenna.

First problem is finding a open space 44"by 34" area.

My Class C is a Winnebago Cambria 2014 30J.

Just not to sure of clearance and trees  above the roof at almost 3 feet.

So if you run this setup on a Class C I need some advice.

Thanks for reading

Tim the mailman

I use to have a tripod and a compass and 100 of coaxial would set the coordinates on the saterlite level the tripod  ( very important ) use the compas point it the direction of the stated coordinates, oh I forgot you have a 100 feet to find a clearing for the sate

5 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I use Directv and just acquire  a satellite signal wherever I go. The local channels as stated by dd69 don't work too far away from home for me either, but that isn't a problem for me anyway. I have a DVR on my receiver and while at home I record many things that I might like to watch later, and watch those when I am too lazy to acquire a signal on the dish, this is many times as we are inclined to just stay overnight while in transit from home to a far off destination. Dish still offers a pay as you go plan and will send local signals to almost anywhere, just not your home channels because of contracts with local stations.

2 hours ago, mailman said:

I am looking for a camper with a Class C that uses a Trav'ler  Winegard Sat Antenna.

First problem is finding a open space 44"by 34" area.

My Class C is a Winnebago Cambria 2014 30J.

Just not to sure of clearance and trees  above the roof at almost 3 feet.

So if you run this setup on a Class C I need some advice.

Thanks for reading

Tim the mailman

rlite.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Mjarry.

Where have you been the last 9 years? :D

I have been in the hills of NH  we have indoor plumbing water hand pump at the kitchen sink and hope to have electricity in the next few years,   why where have you been, I see from Texas and you know what they say about Texans

5 hours ago, Mjarry said:

you know what they say about Texans

No could you enlighten me? By the way it makes it easier to give good answers if you put your RV and basic info in your signature. Like manholt has. He can be an example for you.;)

Bill

Mjarry, I too am interested now that you opened the door.  What do they say about us Texans?

Mailman, I have a Winegard Traveler mounted on my Class A diesel pusher and it sits lower than my a/c units during travel. You do understand it folds down when traveling.

Mjarry.

I only asked, because you became a member of the Forum, November 3, 2010 and just now started posting!  It was not meant to be derogatory, just a innocent question!  As for NH, my dead wife, was born & raised in Lebanon, NH...I spent a lot of summers there, in the 1970's & 80's.  

Now, like Bill & Jim, I too would like to  know, "What they say about Texans?"

I guess I am all alone with Satellite technology, or shall I say, lack there of. Our HR also has in motion Tracstar, I have never used it. We connect to the CG cable, if none I use the Batwing antenna, which surprisingly works very well. About the only time I use the TV is at night waiting for everyone to get ready for bed and in the AM to watch local news. 

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

I guess I am all alone with Satellite technology, or shall I say, lack there of. Our HR also has in motion Tracstar, I have never used it. We connect to the CG cable, if none I use the Batwing antenna, which surprisingly works very well. About the only time I use the TV is at night waiting for everyone to get ready for bed and in the AM to watch local news. 

You're not alone. We also only have an OTA antenna for television. If we want to watch something else, I'll stream it through an app on my phone and mirror the screen to the tv.

I watch the Golf ch., Fox News on occasion!  Linda looks at stuff, I never heard off and movies, lots of movies! 

Richard, how do you, " mirror screen to TV?"  

I've got a Samsung Galaxy - there is an option to mirror the screen to the USB output. I just plug the cord from the phone into a USB port on the TV. It's easy since I have a Samsung phone and a Samsung TV, but I believe that it's also possible to do this with other brands of TVs. I used to do this by using a USB-to-HDMI converter when I had a different brand of phone.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-screen-mirroring-and-how-do-i-use-it-with-my-samsung-tv-and-samsung-mobile-device/

I also bring along a Google Chromecast. The latest version of the Chromecast allows direct streaming from a device to the Chromecast without going through a wifi first. This works, but it took me a few tries and re-reading the directions to do it the first time. Much easier to just plug the phone into the TV.

If you bring along your laptop, you can also usually just use the TV as an external monitor - sometimes this works through a USB-to-HDMI converter and other times you need a laptop with it's own HDMI output.

I do it in our Apple Club meetings. The adapter I use is lighting to hdmi. There are two different ones on the market. I bought the one that also has another lighting female connection to insert power to keep my iPhone or iPad charged while connected to the TV. 

Just a little update

With research the Winegard Trav'ler dish sk1000 or directv swm-3 can be interchange on the top end with kits to change with either system. BUT use the main unit on the roof.

So, I have a SD G3 on the roof at this time. BUT with the providers playing with SD or HD at this time you the customer has to be able to change with them.

So I believe the Winegard Trav'ler  is the best option for installing one time to the roof, or upgrading the hardware on the fly. This is the reason for thinking out loud.

The problem is finding a clear 44" by 34" clear  Flat spot in roof area  on the class C to install the system.

I  have a Class C Winnebago 32 ft Itasca Cambria 30J, with the sky light close by on the roof, this is going to be interesting to say the least.

Thanks for all the reads. Is there any Class C units out there that run this setup?

Tim the mailman

Retired 40 years carrier

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:59 PM, Mjarry said:

I have been in the hills of NH  we have indoor plumbing water hand pump at the kitchen sink and hope to have electricity in the next few years,   why where have you been, I see from Texas and you know what they say about Texans

I met a man who lived in Tennessee who claimed that all his X's live in Texas, that's why he moved to Tennessee!:wub: The devil made me do it!

Kay, probably falling on deaf ears (this case, eye's) and we'll hear from Mike again, in 9 years! :P  By then he'll have electricity...:ph34r: