dickandlois

Power Gear Electric Slide Out

The Slide on our 39Z has a drive issue. The rear rail is out of sync with the front by only about 1/4 in to 3/8 in. That is about one tooth on the spur gear. Have tools at home to work on it but not in Texas.

This issue happened when we arrived in Texas in January for some medical appointments and needs to be  checked before Closing it for the trip Home.

Does any one know of a Mobile service in the area that would come to the Campground to inspect or assist in closing the slide to minimize any damage. I do have an appointment at a service center up north in July and adding one more item to the list should be no big issue. 

Thank You.

Rich.    

Rich, it might help if we knew what campground.

On the other side: have you done the reset on the electronic controller?

31 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Rich, it might help if we knew what campground.

On the other side: have you done the reset on the electronic controller?

We are located just south of Houston off of Alt 90.

This is an old mechanical drive system, pre sync system. I do have the Mechanical PDF file for it , but no parts. 

In reality it is straight forward simple system.

Rich.

What campground? US-90 runs right through Houston, and you could be in several of the cities South of there.

Email me if you need to keep it on the QT.

Its a shame you are so far from PA and we haven't begun to plan or out TK move or i'd come to your rescue. If that slides in far enough you can run it, PM me if you want to swing by the house on your way by.

Thanks Joe !

Will see what we find out over the next week.  Have a number of tools that one just does not travel with, plus the factory has no clue what I have worked on over 60 years. Like repairing farm equipment in the Fields as a youngster.  

Rich.

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

The Slide on our 39Z has a drive issue. The rear rail is out of sync with the front by only about 1/4 in to 3/8 in. That is about one tooth on the spur gear. Have tools at home to work on it but not in Texas.

This issue happened when we arrived in Texas in January for some medical appointments and needs to be  checked before Closing it for the trip Home.

Does any one know of a Mobile service in the area that would come to the Campground to inspect or assist in closing the slide to minimize any damage. I do have an appointment at a service center up north in July and adding one more item to the list should be no big issue. 

Thank You.

Rich.    

I had that problem on my dining room slide.  The rear coupler is just a 3/8 through bolt and it will bend until it breaks.  Then the slide is out of sync and won't move until the bolt is replaced.  I think it served as a shear pin if something jammed the gears.  Check for a bent or broken connecting coupling bolt.  

You are dead on, Thing is the clearance is so tight the gear needs to rotate / move just a little to replace  the clevis pin, Roll pin or bolt. 

If they used a Woodruff key then things could get more interesting.

Rich.

Rich,

Bob Jones  and RV Masters both have 4-1/2 stars if that means anything. I have not used them personally.  If they are busy there are  a few more in that area.

Bob Jones: (713) 910-2949

RV Masters: (713) 461-2300

What year is your Bounder.

Rich,

I'm out of pocket today but I'm about 45 miles South of you. If you need a tool, I might have it. I can deliver tomorrow if needed.

15 hours ago, DickandLois said:

You are dead on, Thing is the clearance is so tight the gear needs to rotate / move just a little to replace  the clevis pin, Roll pin or bolt. 

If they used a Woodruff key then things could get more interesting.

Rich.

I was lucky that mine have a square driveshaft that I can turn with a crescent wrench until it lined up.  I used a grade 8 bolt with a lock nut.  I keep a spare bolt and nut with me for next time.  

Well, the slide issue has been resolved for now. I use grease to lubricate the mechanical parts and it appears that a small stone or something  stuck in the rack gear. this stopped the full extension of the rear unit.  Good for now and when we get home I will do a good cleaning of the mechanical assembly. Then a relub job.

Rich.

37 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Well, the slide issue has been resolved for now. I use grease to lubricate the mechanical parts and it appears that a small stone or something  stuck in the rack gear. this stopped the full extension of the rear unit.  Good for now and when we get home I will do a good cleaning of the mechanical assembly. Then a relub job.

Rich.

Glad to hear it was something minor. 

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Nice when it turns out to be something simple. Any way to shield the track from future invasions?

One would think it would be impossible for something to windup in the area, but the rack and spur gears are exposed to the outside road dirt. Building a total shield would take a metal  brake and hrs. of work. 

Think that might be one reason a number of them are hydraulic. However that system suffers from it's own issues and weaknesses. 

Over 110,000 miles on this coach over all kinds of roads and weather conditions, you just know something is going to whacked by something on the road.

Brett mentioned that the Texas stone is in time out, but it could have originate from a number of states, and those super wide replacements for duel's just will not clear the underside of a Diesel class A.  Eating one on Rt. 95 in heavy traffic proved that and the damage to a towed can be devastating .

Rich.

Rich --

That dang thing called a career has had me too busy to read the forum for the last several days.  Glad to hear your problem was resolved!

I will answer your question about a mobile RV repair business in the Houston area as an awareness for forum members.  I have had good luck with Reynolds Mobile RV Repair which serves the greater Houston area --> http://www.rvrepairinhoustontx.com/

Reynolds Mobile RV Repair will perform work at RV parks and RV storage facilities.   They only perform "coach" work and no chassis work.

RV Masters that Wayne mentioned only performs work at their large shop on Bingle Road in Houston.   I have had good service from them also.

Rich, I'm curious as to the operation of that slide. I'm not familiar with a "mechanical" slide.  When you are extending or retracting the slide and there is resistance at the end of travel, what turns the slide motor off to prevent breaking something.  Those motors are very powerful.

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Rich, I'm curious as to the operation of that slide. I'm not familiar with a "mechanical" slide.  When you are extending or retracting the slide and there is resistance at the end of travel, what turns the slide motor off to prevent breaking something.  Those motors are very powerful.

The motor not so powerful but the gearbox is.  The motor may be turning 26 to 1 gearbox and is 1/2 the size of a gas car starter motor.

1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

The motor not so powerful but the gearbox is.  The motor may be turning 26 to 1 gearbox and is 1/2 the size of a gas car starter motor.

Ray, Slide control uses the best computer ever designed. The one we carry around above our shoulders.

There is a sheer bolt or pin involved and as the slide seals compress the operator turns off the switch. 

Not real technical but very reliable most of the time, with a little TLC and the correct lubricants. 3 inch  square slide rails that run on roller bearings supported on a 4 inch  channel running through both frame rails.  The slide floor, bays and slide mechanics are for the most part supported primarily by the chassis main rails, even when retracted or extended. The steel walls are close to 3/16 inch steel.  Over built! probably !

The ISB Cummings is rated to 275 HP an 660 Ft. lbs. with a MT-643 transmission rated at 42,000 Lb load. The only real weakness, is the CAC size. Could have been a little bigger, but if one keeps it and the radiator clean things work well. 

The Allison input torque is only 660  Ft.Lbs. With a tune up and setup the Cummings could put out close to 800 ft. lbs. The system is set for MPG to weight load. 

Rich.

4 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Slide control uses the best computer ever designed. The one we carry around above our shoulders.

Same design we have on the front slide, the rear has a clutch, once its tight if you don't let go of the switch it will begin to slip, which also makes an obnoxious clunking sound.