sdmergele1

EZ Pass for class A rv

Couple of threads on this recently with lots of ideas.

You can get an EZ Pass from any stste, so shop around. Mine is from Illinois even though I live in Wisconsin. They offer free transponders. Each state has a slightly different setup.

Mine is from Illinois and I live in Indiana. Works for the north and east section of US Also have a Pike Pass for Oklahoma because we travel to the southwest yearly. 

I purchased the NC EZPass transponder. Cost was $7.50 then you populate the account with a CC. The NC EZ pass is good for 18 states, North Carolina; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Illinois; Indiana; Kentucky; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New York; Ohio; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; Virginia; and West Virginia.

If you are traveling in other states you would need different transponders.

p.s., I live in Texas and getting the NC EAPass was easy by phone.

Curious if there was a reason that you chose to get your transponder from NC and pay the $7.50 rather than from one of the states that give them for free. Did they have another benefit that outweighed the cost?

Richard, I went on someone's recommendation and really wasn't worried about $7.50. No other reason. Also they have been extremely helpful in any communications I have had with them.  When concerned about the sticker then sent along with the transponder they said to not use the sticker and just transfer the transponder from MH to car.  When I questioned them that my profile showed 2 axles and I have 3 they said not to worry about it as the transponder will make the corrections.  Very easy customer service to work with.,

Only problem is you got to receive it at home/mail address...I can't pick one up in Main, when we get there!  I'm tempted to stay in Canada and take TCH 2 and cross over into UP. then US 2 to WI and straight down to Texas!  Less traffic, hassle, stress & cost. 

Some states have EZ Pass offices located at the plaza/rest stops. In Illinois they are called Oasis. I believe that you can pick up a transponder at one of those offices. I'd suspect that the same is available in most states accepting EZ Pass, either on the toll road itself somewhere or in a state office building somewhere. Might be an option for someone full-timing or needing to pick up a transponder while on a long trip.

Carl, no one around the permanent address to forward it to you?

BTW, if you take that route keep in touch. We leave Thur. for Rising Sun, IN., (3 weeks) then to Escapee park, Racoon Valley, TN, (two weeks) then Redstone Arsenal, AL for about 1 week. Don't know where after that.

COME ON DOWN!

15 hours ago, manholt said:

Only problem is you got to receive it at home/mail address...I can't pick one up in Main, when we get there!  I'm tempted to stay in Canada and take TCH 2 and cross over into UP. then US 2 to WI and straight down to Texas!  Less traffic, hassle, stress & cost. 

I got my account at a walk in facility in New Hampshire but they have on in Maine.  http://www.maineturnpike.com/Contact-Us.aspx

Bill

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Carl, no one around the permanent address to forward it to you?

BTW, if you take that route keep in touch. We leave Thur. for Rising Sun, IN., (3 weeks) then to Escapee park, Racoon Valley, TN, (two weeks) then Redstone Arsenal, AL for about 1 week. Don't know where after that.

COME ON DOWN!

Rising Sun is about 1.5 hrs from my house by car.

re: transponder, I decided to just pay the ticket when it arrives in the mail after crossing the toll bridges between IN and KY on I 65. It's not worth the effort of maintaining a  transponder acct to me. 

5 minutes ago, RayIN said:

Rising Sun is about 1.5 hrs from my house by car.

re: transponder, I decided to just pay the ticket when it arrives in the mail after crossing the toll bridges between IN and KY on I 65. It's not worth the effort of maintaining a  transponder acct to me. 

Well let me know when you'll be there and I'll put the burgers, sausage or hot dogs on. We'll be there starting on the 15th of Aug. and leave on the 5th of Sept.