macsboat

Tire brand recommendations

Time for new steer tires. Michelin side walls are cracked at 6 years old with plenty of tread left.  So done with the Michelin brand !!!   Anybody have experience with Continental, good or bad ??

macsboat,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us what you are driving and what tire size you need-- advice for what worked well on a small Class C may not be of value if you are driving a 45' DP.

I ran on my Diesel pusher and on my Honda Civic. Continentals they were great tires. They were also about $100.00 cheaper each than the Michelins for the coach. 

Bill

Last summer I swapped eight cracked five and a half year old Michelins for two Continentals and six Toyos.

FIVE, just curious but why 2 different brands?  

5 to 7 years is normal for DP 22.5 tires to last.  Remember, the sidewall will break down way before tread wear!

2 hours ago, FIVE said:

Last summer I swapped eight cracked five and a half year old Michelins for two Continentals and six Toyos.

Yes inquiring minds want to know. I ended up with 6 Toyos on my new to me coach. How do you like them? So now I have 6 Toyos and 2 almost 2 year old Michelins. I would have gone all Continentals but I didn't buy them.:P

Bill

As has been said before folks will purchase what they think will work for them.

I have Michelins on the wifes Saturn Vue, Yokohamas on my truck and Toyos on the coach. (which were half to cost of Michelin and are 295-80R-22.5) The Vue isn't driven much only about 2,000/year, the Yokohamas on the truck have almost 35,000 miles on them and are looking good , while the Toyo are about 18 months old with about 10,000 miles on them and are true, even and smooth.

So I would look for tires with the best report and price that suits you. 

Herman 

Meanwhile, back to Brett's question.  OP may have a class B, C or Gas A, not a Heavy DP.  Would be nice to know!

On 5/18/2020 at 4:53 PM, manholt said:

FIVE, just curious but why 2 different brands?  

5 to 7 years is normal for DP 22.5 tires to last.  Remember, the sidewall will break down way before tread wear!

It's a long story, here's the Cliff Notes version.  The tire company put Continentals all around.  I didn't like the ones on the rear (they  put on 295/75s), so they swapped out the six Continentals, 295/80s were not in stock, for 295/80 Toyos.

7 hours ago, FIVE said:

It's a long story, here's the Cliff Notes version.  The tire company put Continentals all around.  I didn't like the ones on the rear (they  put on 295/75s), so they swapped out the six Continentals, 295/80s were not in stock, for 295/80 Toyos.

UGH!! Been there..... 

The deal was all eight were to be Continentals.  I have no problem with them.  In fact both my vehicles at home have Continentals on them.  However, due to some miscommunication, they didn't have 295/80s Continentals in stock, so they put on 295/75s.  They were very nice about it, changed out the six rear tires and actually lowered my cost.  The Toyos were cheaper even when the Continentals had the FMCA discount.

Toyos are good tires...I run their NITTO brand on my Jeep & Truck!  The truck might get 100 miles a year on the Hwy, and about 2,000 miles a year on the Ranch...rocks & cactus we have plenty off, also cedar, cut one down get 10 back, remove the whole tree & get 5 back, never ending battle!!!

While I try and keep my seminars and posts "brand neutral" I will suggest that one thing to consider when selecting new tires is availability. You might save $100 by getting

"Mud-Wumper 3's" from Billy Jo Bob's Cheap tire and bait Emporium, but go ol' Billy Jo will only provide service in a 10 mile radius of his single outlet store.

Go on-line and see if the tire company you are considering has a "find-a-dealer" feature on the company web site and confirm you can get service wherever you expect to be traveling. You can get a sidewall cut in any of the 49 states and Canada but can you easily get a replacement tire without having to Fed-Ex a tire to your location ow wait a couple weeks?