navhtc

How Often to replace Surge Protector

Hello

I purchased a Progressive EMS-PT30 about 5 Season ago.   It is working fine, my question is how often should as Surge Protector be replaced.  I'm sure there has to be a time frame when the effectiveness of an older unit will be of questionable use.   Anyone know of a way to test one of these units without sending it back to manufacturer.  

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. You are right I wouldn't plug in my camper without one. From what I see they are "self testing" so if it runs through the self test and does not show a error code you should be good to go.

Here is a link to a owners manual and their phone number. 

https://98fc35b2-8b52-49c0-9df1-33107348b2e7.filesusr.com/ugd/439d5a_202dbaab106d497baf233da34464ad95.pdf

Bill

Generally speaking, surge protection things are a once-and-done type of thing, meaning that they are designed to give their all to protect your equipment from a big surge. I think it's the same for these EMS units with regard to the surge protection.

In the manual an error code is listed for replacing the surge protector module. It is error code E 10 = Replace Surge Protector Module.

It appears from the manual that the unit will still supply power to the RV with the E10 code showing, but I'd assume that the surge protector module will be useless at that point and offer no future protection against a surge.

If the unit didn't indicate an E10 error code I'd just keep using it. However, if you have reason for concern call them and ask if there are better ways to verify function.

Edited by richard5933

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Are those not warranted for life of ownership?

Well YES and NO. Progressive was bought out by another company. They still honor the lifetime warranty but it must meet the following criteria;

• Original purchaser can be the only person to submit a warranty claim.
  • Must have the receipt of purchase.
  • Must attach a photo of the electrical socket and plug. If any heat damage is present no warranty!
  • Must not have any visible damage.

I had my Progressive unit go bad on me camping in Maryland, fortunately I had met all of the requirements above. Their customer service department explained they were tightening up their policies. 

I had a Surge Guard unit fail also while Carl was over out house, it was 10 at the time and constantly in use. I sent that back to Surge Guard, they "rebuilt it" (looked like a new one to me...) and sent it back no charge, no fuss and no questions, I only paid for the freight to them.

I have a Surge Guard at the house tower, a Surge Guard and Progressive portable in the RV (I carry a back up). 

We have and do, the same as Joe.  Just more Surge Guards at towers, 2, 30 amp & 2, 50 amp at camp house & 2, 50 amp at ranch.  :)

6 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Generally speaking, surge protection things are a once-and-done type of thing, meaning that they are designed to give their all to protect your equipment from a big surge. I think it's the same for these EMS units with regard to the surge protection.

Well maybe not. These are not made the same as the cheap ones from office supply. They shut off the power rather than just try to absorb the excess. They have the ability to detect 240 power and not pass it to your coach. If I did get a E10 error code I would check it out. However the majority of problems come from low power. I don't think I have ever seen a hi/over voltage problem. I have seen nearly all the outher possible problems with power pedestals. That is one of the reasons I like having a portable unit. You can check outher power pedestals without moving the couch. 

Bill

Just a year or so after my first purchase the display started acting up. I called Progressive (Maker of SG at that time) . They said the nut was loose and water had gotten in. I don't remember the exact time frame but the return was extremely quick. That all was back in 2007 or 2008.

A few years ago I had another one (long story, not for here) that I though had a problem.  When I explained it to the new owners they sent me another one free of charge. I had to follow the policy as Joe explained and they asked me to cut the cord going into the box.  I did.

I also no carry a spare.  That contraption has saved me more times than I can remember.  The worse one was in Kansas somewhere.  We pulled in for the night (and wondered if we should turn around) and hooked up. A few hours later I noticed that it was getting warm in the MH. I checked and no AC. Went outside and looked at the box and it had the error code for low voltage. I got the meter out and checked and 1 leg (happened to be the one providing elec the AC ran on) the voltage was 102v.  Maintenance man (owner) came and swapped the electrical runs in the box so the low would have the high and vice versa.  We didn't run anything except the AC for the rest of the night.

There have been several times during storms where power was lost or worse, brown out, and the PT-50C did it's job. Highly recommend their surge protector.

Bill is correct and you can plug in the portable one without plugging in the coach and see what the display says. However the PT-50 has a delay circuit so that when you plug it in it will take 2 minutes or so before power is applied to the outlet. The same thing happens if it shuts itself off. It will not come back on until the problem is corrected, and correction is automatic.

Because of past experiences with plugs and electrical sockets, I now leave mine plugged into the PT-50 when stowing it.  My mind set says that this will keep the socket from expanding and contracting possibly loosening it.  Anyhow, works for me.

3 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Well maybe not. These are not made the same as the cheap ones from office supply. They shut off the power rather than just try to absorb the excess. They have the ability to detect 240 power and not pass it to your coach. If I did get a E10 error code I would check it out. However the majority of problems come from low power. I don't think I have ever seen a hi/over voltage problem. I have seen nearly all the outher possible problems with power pedestals. That is one of the reasons I like having a portable unit. You can check outher power pedestals without moving the couch. 

Bill

According to the manual, it appears that the EMS functions and the surge protection module are separate. As in, the surge protector can give its all to protect the coach and no longer be functional, but the EMS functions can remain functional. If you read through the manual it becomes clear that these are separate. It also sounds from how they word things that the surge protection module can be replaced without having to replace the entire unit, but I'm not sure that's something the owner can do. Sounds like it has to go back to the factory for that.

This device is now available for testing the tower prior to plugging in. 

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-Receptacle-Tester-Black/dp/B088D2JVN4/ref=asc_df_B088D2JVN4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459478253945&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16531770091149451171&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007366&hvtargid=pla-985603367991&psc=1

I have this one which appears to have been discontinued, the company no longer exists;

image.thumb.png.c7b247edfd8a585b7188fcaea24c1c26.png

I carry a back up from a lesson learned experience. A Campground smoked ours and we were just heading out for a day of adventure. After the tower was repaired I had to seek out a replacement or go without. It took the better part of a morning to get it all wrapped up so we could leave with piece of mind. Time is a precious thing when you are on vacation! 

The worst tower experience, we were in OK and pulled into a Campground after dark, found a spot, flipped the breakers up, I got shocked and the tower caught fire, glad I hadn't plugged anything into that one yet :unsure: I am still not right after that :lol:

Can anyone let me know who I need to contact for the warrantee service on my Progressive Surge Guard unit?  it would be deeply appreciated.

Harry Zakorchevnoy

czhz1@roadrunner.com                           Please put surge guard in the subject line or my wife will delete it.  Thank you

Welcome to the forum. Why don't you talk to the manufacture? 

Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-307-6702 press 1
Fax: 1-800-799-3779

Technical Support
Phone: 1-800-307-6702 press 2

tech.progressive@oneasg.com

Bill

I had a PT-50 get water in it when the seal around the housing and cord leaked. Progressive was bought out by Power Products LLC in 2017.  They honored the warranty and replaced it.

I just got an error code with my Watch Dog about two months ago that said my surge protection was used up and it was about 3 years old.  I pulled out my trusty screw driver and my extra surge protection board and replace it and was back on line in about 30 minutes.  Then I order another 35.00 board from Amazon.

In other words, eventually, your surge protector will absorb so many surges that it stops functioning as a surge protector and starts functioning as a dumb power strip that'll let everything through to your devices. (For safety, some surge protectors may disable themselves at this point and stop even functioning as power strips.)

Their Lifespans Are Measured in Joules

Surge protectors are rated in joules, and this tells you how much protection they're designed to provide. For example, you might get a 1000 joule surge protector. This is a measure of, roughly, the total amount of energy a surge protector can absorb before the protection wears out and it stops absorbing any extra voltage.

Every power surge your surge protector absorbs decreases the amount of future joules it absorbs. if that 1000 joule surge protector takes a 1000 joule hit, it's done for. But it's also done for if it takes ten 100 joule hits -- or if it takes a thousand one joule hits. It's all cumulative.

Edited by cwswine

Where are you camping that you are getting power/over voltage events? All of mine have been low voltage events. I use a Southwire Model 34950. It controls voltage and shuts off acess to the coach if to hi or to low. It will automictically return power if the problem corrects its self.

Bill