Propane delivery while on the road

For those of you that spend a considerable amount of time on the road, how have you managed refilling the propane tanks?

I have had trouble getting anyone to come to where I have my RV set up. A year ago, I had one supplier who would do it, but they are now under new ownership and the gent who filled the tanks (Internal and 2 100# external) left the company.

My present method is to fill the external tanks and when I move the coach, fill the internal tank by driving it to a fill station.

Recommendations and shared experiences appreciated!

Propane rules vary at different location.  The park we were in last winter (Tomball, TX) had a company that would come in once a week to fill motor home tanks per a sign up sheet in the office.  Other locations have said that tanks could only be filled at a certified propane reseller.  

The easy solution is to add an Extend-a-stay connect at the tank and use refillable bottles if you do not want to move the motorhome.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=extend+a+stay+propane&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SOxUITCm9oydLUlTgjSx5-yqXNCnhOKEckO80TPSdggQgFJwq-BdTVBoCaVYQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409998386627&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027115&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=83729743467680195&hvtargid=kwd-4379569865&hydadcr=24633_11410102&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_54nb9ddzbs_e

He already has to 100# external tanks.

3 hours ago, txiceman said:

Propane rules vary at different location.  The park we were in last winter (Tomball, TX) had a company that would come in once a week to fill motor home tanks per a sign up sheet in the office.  Other locations have said that tanks could only be filled at a certified propane reseller.  

The easy solution is to add an Extend-a-stay connect at the tank and use refillable bottles if you do not want to move the motorhome.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=extend+a+stay+propane&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SOxUITCm9oydLUlTgjSx5-yqXNCnhOKEckO80TPSdggQgFJwq-BdTVBoCaVYQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409998386627&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027115&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=83729743467680195&hvtargid=kwd-4379569865&hydadcr=24633_11410102&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_54nb9ddzbs_e

He already has 2 100# external tanks. He now has 3 choices, contact his LP supplier and have a 250 gallon tank set or find a different on-site retail distributor, or continue his present routine.

3 hours ago, rayin said:

He already has 2 100# external tanks.

Have you ever tried to take a 100# tank in for refill? 

The largest I use to use was a 40# That was heavy enough to get in and out of the car trunk.

Bill

A 100 lb. propane tank when full is 170 pounds.  30 years ago, I could do it, at 78? Forget about it.

Edited by manholt

I just bought a 30# for the house. I used a dolly to get it from the front yard to the back yard. i can manage it for a short distance but with caution at the 79 year old body.

Coach has a 27# on board tank. Purchased MH in 2017 and is just now down to 3/4 full.  Only thing it is used for is a 3 burner stove inside the MH.

2 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Coach has a 27# on board tank. Purchased MH in 2017 and is just now down to 3/4 full.  Only thing it is used for is a 3 burner stove inside the MH.

Wayne, I think you mean 27 gallon.

Ken

Thank you all for the replies. I am 58 and still can lug the 100# tanks around. I ended up having a local propane filler who has an agreement with the RV park that I am at, take my 100# tanks and fill them. They would NOT come and fill the RV tank. They charged me $20.00 for pickup and return (this time was less as I had to have one of the 100# tank valves replaced by them).

We plan on heading into the southwest this fall and likely won't take the 100# tanks with us as they are quite the burden. I will likely get a 30# tank as a little bit of lift and the ability to fill it without taking the coach to a service company.

We filled our 27 gallon LPG tank one time this winter in Arizona. The gas is used for cooking and morning furnace heat until the heat pumps can keep the motor home warm. I doubt that you will use more than one fill on yor 27 gallon tank, and while on the road, many truck stops have propane available. 

Just about every town has  a propane supplier 

when I ran propane on my truck I lined up with the street sweeper in Vegas 

Google or use yellow pages 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, manholt said:

A 100 lb. propane tank when full is 170 pounds.  30 years ago, I could do it, at 78? Forget about it.

X2!  When I was in high school we used a 2 X100# tank setup for the kitchen stove. It was my  job to load the empty in dad's pickup and unload it when he returned from the propane retailer. In the beginning it was a hard lesson in leverage and balance

The RV park where we used to winter had an LP truck that refilled DOT cylinders and ASME tanks. Those using 100# cylinders were refilled in-place; he had a compartment full of adapters.