ricko

12 volt issue in bathroom

I was replacing 12 volt fluorescent tube lights 12” in bathroom. Using a multi meter and caused a spark. Now the bathroom lights won’t work. I finished the swap to led but still no lights. Checked the 12 volt fuse for the bathroom and it was good but replaced anyway. All other lights in coach are working fine. Any ideas? This issue is in a holiday rambler admiral se 34 SBD. 

Edited by ricko

Check the GFI receptacle in the bathroom to make sure it is not tripped. Check any other GFI’s also. Hope this helps.

Just reread original post, GFI’s control AC, not 12 volt DC. Sorry about that.

Edited by frank.bergamo

Are there any other 12vdc devices on the same circuit? Maybe exhaust fan? If so, are they working? Maybe a loose connection in that circuit that opened due to the accidental short. 

Check for 12 volts at the place where the led's are connected, if present, then reverse the leads to the led. Led will not light if wired backwards.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, frank.bergamo said:

Check the GFI receptacle in the bathroom to make sure it is not tripped. Check any other GFI’s also. Hope this helps.

Just reread original post, GFI’s control AC, not 12 volt DC. Sorry about that.

However 12V is controlled by fuses or resettable breakers.

There are many RV's that have 12 volt fluorescent light fixtures like the one below. Quite common. 

61zAkj1dKLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by ianbullock

15 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I may be wrong but aren't fluorescent bulbs 110 volt a/c? 

Herman

Original MH florescent lights are 12V, and they are available for purchase; HOWEVER, the actual bulbs don't care about whether they are operating on 120VAC or 12VDC. I have 8 120VAC LED replacement bulbs from WalMart operating in my MH now.

I've never seen 120VAC OEM lighting in an RV, it's all been 12VDC. Otherwise extended dry camping would be a pain in the keester.

On a side note, many 120VAC televisions have a converter inside because it operates on 12V. I know of at least one person who has rewired a new TV to put in his RV to run on 12VDC by bypassing the built-in converter.

Edited by rayin

I wonder if ricko ever found the solution to making his LED light dilemma work. Here is a pretty good discussion on what makes a florescent light operate. https://ludens.cl/Electron/Fluolamp/fluolamp.html Florescent is an interesting concept, unlike LED (light emitting diode) which requires direct current, florescent requires pulsating (alternating current), it requires a converter to change DC to AC, while an electronic TV requires a converter to change AC to DC. A florescent bulb requires 100 to 10,000 volts AC. An old style TV, CRT (cathode ray tube) required 5,000 to 37,000 volts to light the CRT, depending on color that was to be produced. An LED only requires about 4 volts DC, and very low current.