Jlc4857

RV Hos ?

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of GPS units available. In my opinion, Garmiin is the best. Lots of different models with lots of features so look on the Garmin site to see what fits you best. They can be purchased on line from cheaper sources.

People complain that their GPS led them down a cow path so do not ever trust one 100%. I jokingly tell people that a GPS should be used for amusement purposes only. I do trust the one in the plane but we are going in straight line only, not navigating a city

Welcome to the forum. Look for one that will let you enter the dimensions of your RV. 

I have found you don't want to use the "shortest" setting. It will try to take you some strange ways. 

Bill 

Agree that Garmin has a great product. I have a built in one on the MH with Rand McNally and it allows all the specifications of the RV to be set.

Garmin may not be inexpensive for the better ones, but if you get the one with life time updates it is not such a bad price if you use it for several years. Which ever you decide get a large display. You won't be sorry. You do want one that is designed for RV's with life time updates and traffic.

It would help with future questions on you RV if you include your information in your signature line.

Welcome. Happy trails!

Edited by wayne77590

you can also subscribe to RV Trip Wizard and use that system to plan your trip.  it will take the measurements of your coach into consideration when planning your route, as well as other features such as calculating your gas usage and total costs of the trip.

I you want a cheap GPS for truckers, which included height, weight, length, number of axles, etc., I bought an OHREX Chinese brand off Amazon for $79. It says map updates will arrive on an SD card in the mail???? I've never received on in 3 yrs. but at that price I consider it a throw-away device.

Mine has always been accurate, but it's clunky to use compared to my Rand McNally RV GPS.

Edited by rayin

On 6/24/2023 at 8:06 AM, Jlc4857 said:

What is the best inexpensive RV gps for A class A Motorhome. I’m tired of using my phone and ending up on back roads with low bridges.

"Best" and "Inexpensive" are two criteria that may be difficult to combine. I used standard GPS units of various brands with great frustration for years; they assume you are driving a car. We finally went for the Rand McNally Trucker's GPS. Very large screen and easy to use, lots of specific settings regarding height, weight, width, and roads to avoid. It routes you from those criteria and keeps you away from low bridges, small roads, and cattle paths. NOT INEXPENSIVE but the BEST.

A few months back we replaced our old Garmin 1450 with a newer Garmin RV890 - they've certainly improved! The 890 is nice because of the ways the display can be personalized. I have it set up so the left side of the display shows the map and the right side shows a list of the upcoming gas stations, rest stops, lodgings, and food places. Across the bottom I display the speedometer, altimeter, and the time and distance to the day's destination. We recently stayed at a campground that sent us a text saying to ignore our GPS and use the directions that they provided - it turned out the the Garmin followed their directions exactly. My conclusion was that maybe some older GPS routing engines weren't accurate, but if you always use current maps you should be good. Garmin suggest that you update the maps quarterly and keep both the new 890 and the older 1450 updated, both for free.