davidsuzanne

Camping in Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier

Hi Friends,  

Any suggestions for must see Campgrounds at these 3 NP's? We are from Philadelphia and plan to spend about a week in each park starting in Mid May.  Before heading to Washington, Oregon and N. Ca.  We are currently booked at Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton but will certainly modify the reservations per suggestions.  Best  Dave

I think that Colter Bay is a wise choice. It is one of the few NP campgrounds that has full hookups. If I remember correctly, 30 amp. From there you can drive into Yellowstone or the Tetons. Suggest you take the float trip from Colter Bay to midway to Jackson. Choose the last one of the day to see the most wildlife. You ride on a large rubber raft with a guide that does all the work. Also, there a back road from Jackson north that is between the river and the Tetons. Again late in the day is best for wildlife. That is where we have seen the most moose anywhere in the country. 

When we visited Glacier NP, we stayed first on the East side. Less crowded and easy access to the park. Once in the park we used the shuttles. Keep in mind that the Road to the Sun can be closed well into July depending on the snow pack. Again we used the shuttle, got off at the top, hiked a few hours and took another shuttle down. We did stay on the west side for a few days, very crowded and commercial.

davidsuzanne, we too prefer to stay at East Glacier, for the same reasons. The Blackfoot tribe runs small school bus shuttles which are heated and air-conditioned, unlike the red bus's which have an open top, no heat or air conditioning. This shuttle picks you up at the CG too.

If you drive your POV on Road to the Sun you must buy a ticket, as traffic is limited to avoid congestion and traffic jams.

several years ago, we stayed at the Bay Bridge campground in Yellowstone.  although there are no hookups here, we were very comfortable with our 33' motorhome.  we had a herd of bison come through the campground while we ate dinner.  Very enjoyable!

Fishing Bridge, inside Yellowstone, has full hook ups.

We stayed at Grizzly on the west side of the park.

Colter Bay is good but not really convenient to Yellowstone or the Tetons. 

We stay on the west side of Glacier and be mindful that the Going to the Sun Highway doesn't open until late June at the earliest.

23 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

several years ago, we stayed at the Bay Bridge campground in Yellowstone.  although there are no hookups here, we were very comfortable with our 33' motorhome.  we had a herd of bison come through the campground while we ate dinner.  Very enjoyable!

about 10 years ago a man was killed by a bison when he opened his trailer door to watch one grazing just outside his trailer. I suspect there was more to the story, but unreported by the NPS.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:42 PM, wildebill308 said:

It is not that people are killed in the National Parkes every year it is that so few are killed every year. 

Bill

Yep, I'd venture to say more hikers are injured or died than all other causes combined, within the NP system.

23 hours ago, rayin said:

Yep, I'd venture to say more hikers are injured or died than all other causes combined, within the NP system.

Yes, Ray after watching how they act you understand the being amazed at how few die.

Bill

Another good option is Flagg Ranch which is at the north end of Grand Tetons and less than an hour to Yellowstone.  It has FHU 50A pull throughs, and I even managed to get in there with a 45' coach (although it took a few spotters in a couple spots).   It had a nice on-site store and restaurant at the lodge, and even connected to a few of the trail heads along the Snake River.   However, since you're already in at Colter Bay (which has more amenities and is centrally located) I think you've made the right choice.

For Glacier, we also stayed on the east side at the KOA.  It was located near the entrance of GTSR and not too far from Many Glacier and Two Medicine.  The park was a good choice for us with kids in tow as there was plenty for them to do there on our "rest days".

Lastly, in terms of wildlife, I reiterated to my group during our visit that more people die from drowning at Glacier than bears (at least that is what I read).  With that in mind, we did encounter wildlife, many times the large ones, nearly every day in both GTNP and GNP.  I can only recommend being educated and prepared for the type of wildlife you will encounter, namely brown and black bears, bison, and moose.