tilldee

Horrible Road Conditions

I-44E or W into St Louis

We traveled this route in September and let me tell you the road construction conditions were deplorable.    Between that road and I-70E/W between Indianapolis and Richmond, IN were horrendous.

Before we got home in Ohio, the wiring harness had fallen out from the dash, our fridge door flew open and it had never done that.   And on our way to Florida the next month we found our cameras on both sides and back are now flickering.  When cleaning once we got to Florida I noticed the cabinet over the passenger front seat had come loose from the wall and how it kept from falling on my head, I will never know. 

I greatly stress to stay off these roads.   I even wrote to the Missouri Department of Transportation, but received no response.  

We found while traveling this past summer, to stay off the interstates as much as possible but instead use secondary roads. I never could find out what happened to the billions and billions of dollars that a previous administration allocated for shovel-ready projects to repair and maintain our interstate highway system. 

On 12/4/2023 at 7:41 AM, elkhartjim said:

We found while traveling this past summer, to stay off the interstates as much as possible but instead use secondary roads. I never could find out what happened to the billions and billions of dollars that a previous administration allocated for shovel-ready projects to repair and maintain our interstate highway system. 

Here in California the money is usually allocated to things like the high-speed rail system (approved by the voters as a $30B project, it is now up to $133B and no end in sight), adding bike paths, and other crap rather than repair and maintenance of existing roads. Along I5 they have closed several rest areas so they can completely demolish tham and rebuild them with fresh concrete - meanwhile the freeway surface that goes right past those rest areas is starting to look like the Rubicon Trail!

We also try to use the US highways or other good looking roads.

I use satellite view and street view the day or two before travel.  Seldom use Interstate Highways if possible.

Our GPS is set for RV so it tells if the route is not suitable for an RV (bridges, etc.)

Edited by wayne77590

Using US highways or State highways sounds great but much of the time I find it doesn’t live as well as it sounds on the internet. I have driven across New England on them. The problem in the North and Northeast is the roads are old and narrow with no place to get off and no sholderrs and few places you can get in to fuel. I don’t do that anymore. I will use all the Interstates and toll roads I can. As an example, a couple weeks ago we drove from FW down to Kerrville on 67 and 281. Not bad roads but the problem is there are so few places to stop/pull off the road. There were several rests stops all closed. We came back up I-35. Eaven made it through Austin without a big problem. There are several nice rest areas where you can stop and walk the dog and me. 

Bill

My work-around is to just slow down on rough pavement until it is bearable for me and our MH. I'm retired, hurry is not a word I use every day.

11 hours ago, rayin said:

My work-around is to just slow down on rough pavement until it is bearable for me and our MH. I'm retired, hurry is not a word I use every day.

I agree with Ray. I don't have to be any ware in a hurrey. 

I don't think there is any road that doesen't have some areas that are rough or under construction. You can often see where deferent maintence areas end by the condition of the road. 

Bill

14 hours ago, rayin said:

Yup - slow down. I've also gotten into the habit of moving over: if traffic allows move to the left lane; if not I'll move to the right so my curb-side tires are between the fog line and the rumble strips. It's usually the right lane that is in the worst shape, and in that lane it's usually the ruts caused by the tires of all the heavy traffic so if you can get away from those ruts you're better off.

11 hours ago, danorske said:

I've noticed that many have their rumble strips right on the fog line. go figure.

That "fog line" is actually there to denote the outside limit of the driving lane;  it is illegal to cross a solid white line, only a dotted white line may legally be crossed.

Edited by rayin

On 12/7/2023 at 11:17 AM, sandyhepburn said:

Yup - slow down. I've also gotten into the habit of moving over: if traffic allows move to the left lane; if not I'll move to the right so my curb-side tires are between the fog line and the rumble strips. It's usually the right lane that is in the worst shape, and in that lane it's usually the ruts caused by the tires of all the heavy traffic so if you can get away from those ruts you're better off.

in many states, they have "keep right, except to pass" laws.  i wonder how strictly enforced they are if the right lane conditions are bad?

2 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

in many states, they have "keep right, except to pass" laws.  i wonder how strictly enforced they are if the right lane conditions are bad?

Indiana vigorously  enforces that law. On 4-lane Interstates and 4-lane state highways the outside lane is designated the driving lane, the inside lane is a passing lane only.  The main reason is, emergency vehicles have the right-of-way, this law greatly  reduces a necessity to weave in/out of ordinary traffic by keeping the inside lane free of slow drivers.