lunchbkt1

Auxillary Braking System

Looking for some views/ recommendations for auxiliary braking systems.

In particular does anyone have experience with the Blue Ox Patriot model?

If not this system, any comments on what you have used, pros/cons etc.? :rolleyes:

We've been towing our Trailblazer for 8 years using the auxiliary braking system from Roadmaster. We have had no problems with it. It works off the coach air so it is proportional braking that is not affected by the engine/jake brake as are many inertial systems. The Patriot system is an inertial system. That is any time it senses that the coach/toad are slowing it will apply the brakes in the toad. It has no way to tell if you have your foot on the brake in the coach or if you have activated the engine or jake brake. If you use your engine or jake brake to slow the coach on a long mountain grade, your car brakes will be applied at the same time. In effect you will be using your car to assist in slowing the motor home while you are using just the engine or jake brake to slow the motor home. I would not use such a system with an engine or jake brake. It will result in excessive brake wear on your car.

We changed coaches about 18 months after getting our system installed. It took less than 2 hours in the shop to get it installed and working on the new coach. Ours is complete with breakaway system.

I wanted portability, and to be able to use a braking system in more than one vehicle.

I use the Brake Buddy Classic, 3 years, and doing what it should without any problems.

It works for me with the Blue Ox Aventa