ve744

Traveling With Firearms

Forty other states recognize my concealed carry permit from my home state. That means I can drive across state lines with the weapon and legally carry it concealed anywhere not specifically prohibited by state law. In an earlier post, I listed some of those areas.

There are various other laws to consider. Without a CCW, some states require that the weapon and ammunition be stored separately; some say it must be locked up, others say it's ok as long as the weapon IS NOT CONCEALED, i.e., visible on the seat/dash next to you, etc., etc. Other considerations are: PEACEABLE JOURNEY law and CASTLE DOCTRINE.

The most important consideration is to carefully read the requirements of each state through which you intend to travel.

On a post such as this, the responses will run the gamut. Many of them suggest you do something illegal.

Best to make our decisions based on knowledge rather than ill throughout opinions and gut reactions.

GM

Guest Wayne77590

I agree, and as I stated it "passed the House." It still has to go on up the chain of command, and at the end it could be vetoed. That was my reason for stating "Let's see where it goes from here." My problem is I just assumed everyone would understand the legislative process.

Thanks for the clarification and reasoning.

I'm not going to takes sides other than to say if you're going to have a handgun in the RV or vehicle and you are camping around me, I would prefer that you have a CCP. Excepting perhaps LEO and military people. It's valuable training and may keep you from going off half-cocked (pun intended).

I've hosted in state and federal parks for last few years. In those campgrounds where there was real pro-active patrols by LEO, I personally was aware of more than half dozen arrest of campers. Most of them had outstanding warrants and were nabbed by a simple license plate check. One had a firearm. The only point here is one can't always assume that all campgrounds have law abiding people in them.

Sorry PHE, you are the one that is wrong.

If you read the law, you must also read the state law. Most states will only let you pass though their State to go to an event like a shooting contest and not just any. Must be put on by a group like the N.R.A.. Most of us are not going to a shooting contest. Also if you read here, http://www.nraila.or...Read.aspx?id=59 you will see that it states: "Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest"

That means, you could be arrested and have to go though the system possibly up to a trial to use the federal law as an affirmative defense. That Defense in many states could only be if you were going to the contest to compete, not just pass though the state. Example: If you are going though N.J. to a friends house in another state with a handgun in a lock box, you will be going time in jail.

Don't just look at one federal law and think you are OK. You need to read the State law and most of all, the case law!

Jon796 said

"For the most part, you can possess a shotgun and/or rifle. You can't have a handgun unless you are in the state where you would be licensed. Only licensed law enforcement or retired law enforcement with a federal license can carry a handgun across state lines."

Nothing you said supports this statement - in fact your warnings - quoted from the NRA - show just the opposite of what this statement says.

So I repeat that the statement is completely wrong.

PHE

Now let me get this straight, a man pointing a 45 auto at me and says " Give me your wallet or your dead"..I'm armed with a can of wasp spray, but he is 22 feet away..Oh crap now what!!!! First of all,where do I keep this can of wasp spray?? Oh I see,in my pocket! Now I say to the gunman "could you move a little closer,I'm only good for 20 feet!! Come on people.You have the right to protect your family,your self and your property...DO SO..The bad guys don't play by the same rules!!!!!

As my boys would say about their mother,"Thats Oklahoma Logic". Butch you would be in severe hurt, you forgot to say the magic word, "could you PLEASE move a little closer, I'm only good for 20 feet". Remember your manners.

Jon796 said

"For the most part, you can possess a shotgun and/or rifle. You can't have a handgun unless you are in the state where you would be licensed. Only licensed law enforcement or retired law enforcement with a federal license can carry a handgun across state lines."

Nothing you said supports this statement - in fact your warnings - quoted from the NRA - show just the opposite of what this statement says.

So I repeat that the statement is completely wrong.

PHE

I have to agree with PHE.

It surprises me that Jon796 stated (as a former LEO) that it is illegal to carry a handgun across state lines. That is absolutely false. If you have a Concealed Carry License in a state that issues such, there are MANY other states that have a reciprocity which allows your license to be legal outside of your home state. You can Google this, as previously suggested, to verify. I ordered a booklet which gives all the states which reciprocate with other states. It is worth your while to obtain this book.

Here is a reference to the Texas Concealed Carry Law and states that reciprocate. Other states have the same type of statement as to reciprocity.

http://www.txdps.sta...reciprocity.htm

Be careful out there.

Don

There is a bill that has passed House of Representatives that is now at Senate that all states should follow the concealed carry permits of various states. Since Obama is from Illinois and has an anti gun team I doubt it will be signed. Everyone knows Illinois and DC, which do not allow handguns have the worst crime rates.

We have Texas concealed carry permits, hopefully we will never have to use a handgun. Wasp spray is beside bed and near driver and navigator in our rv. While reading Canadian tourist info Wasp spray that is intended to be used for protection (don't remember the exact description) is illegal. It also states handguns with a 4inch barrel can be permitted.

While at home, at the grocery store or on the road in our RV it will be dire necessity before a hangun is used. Always be aware of your surroundings!

There is much incorrect info out there...........check everything out!

The above concealed carry site is one of the best.

Jon796's post reminded me that when seconds count in a life or death situation the police are only minutes away and they may catch the prepatrator before he gets to far away from the murder scene. Er, I think I'll take care of my families own protection thank you.

I am a 31 year retired Navy who has been RVing for the past 6 years. Both my wife and I have concealed carry permits, both trained by experts. With the way our country is going, no jobs, increased taxes, etc. people are resorting to various things to get money and provide for their families or the drug of their choice. Have never needed to draw my gun, but when you read about cafe's being shot up and people killed, it makes you wonder, are two elder folks in a nice rv a better target? Get a gun, respect it, take more training than is necessary (or required) and feel a little safer when on the road.

For the most part, you can possess a shotgun and/or rifle. You can't have a handgun unless you are in the state where you would be licensed. Only licensed law enforcement or retired law enforcement with a federal license can carry a handgun across state lines. Also, some campgrounds do not allow guns.

As a retired law enforcement officer, who has the right to carry a hand gun, I must tell you, leave it home. I never needed it and do not carry when camping. Too many things could go wrong. Like a kid getting hold of one's guns.

Jon

That might have been so years ago but BS now. MY CCW from Ohio is good in most state."49 states have passed laws allowing citizens to carry certain concealed firearms in public, either without a permit or after obtaining a permit from local government and/or law enforcement"

http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal will asn. for you.

I'm going to give the guy my wallet. My life has more value to me. And I have had all that specialized training.

And if you are passing through NYS, I suggest that you carry your unloaded handgun in a locked container in a locked trunk or basement compartment, because if you get caught carrying it either open or concealed, you will be spending time in very closed with those you want to protect yourself from.

Your fire extinguisher makes a good defense. Just open a window and spray. If the individual does not leave "clunk" him over the head with the canister. Being blinded by the spray and hurting from the clout should discourage anyone. Also, no law against carrying a "loaded" fire extinguisher--in any state or country.

From 1984 until now I've been a competitive handgun shooter. I've participated in matches all over the world. I've carried a weapon into places (like Japan and Moscow) where the country is often cited as being nearly impossible to legally possess a firearm. I've been fingerprinted, photographed, had my gear inventoried, rounds counted, cases inspected, test fired, cataloged etc. Jailed once only to be released an hour later, I've even bribed a customs official or two in a couple of countries - as that's how its done.

While I wouldn't consider myself an expert in all aspects of firearm laws, I am someone who has been there and done that.

1. Traveling across state lines is covered in The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921 which has been mentioned many times here. It pertains though to simple federal rules. States and various jurisdictions can and will inact their own.

2. Getting a CHL/Carry permit will generally never be a bad thing and has been pointed out, many states have reprocity agreements allowing carry from one state to another. However in the foreign state, you must follow their rules (This should be common sense, but sometimes it needs to be reinforced) To find out which state has reprocity with which state go here: http://www.usacarry....ocity_maps.html (though for offical information go to the state itself)

3. Open-carry states are very specific to how open carry works. Reading the law is helpful here as "sitting on the seat in the vehicle" isn't exactly open carry in some cases. A reasonably good place for consolidated information is here : http://opencarry.org/ (again check the state before walking down the street with your six-shooter strapped to your side)

4. Traveling into Canada with a handgun is permissible, if you obtain the appropriate permit. http://www.losttarge...earmcanada.html is a good source of information on this. I myself have gone through the process a couple of times, most recently this summer when traveling through Canada from MI to NY (NIagra) It took about 5 weeks for the appropriate permit after I sent the paperwork. Going through the border this time was as simple a showing the permit and getting waved through.

5. Traveling into Mexico with a handgun is also permissible, with a permit, though it is much more difficult to obtain .. You get them from the Secretariat of National Defense and last time I did this, it took about 9 months. The laws here are crazy strict though and I wouldn't recommend pushing your luck.

6. A good reference for other countries http://www.cruisersf...untry-1641.html

7. If your rig doesn't have a good hard-attached safe, consider getting one .. Store your firearm there. Consider this .. You likely won't be carrying it on your person all the time, and you need a place to store it. If someone breaks into your rig, you want to reduce the probability that your gun is stolen as its now one more gun on the street. I don't personally believe that you can hide them well enough to prevent them from being found. A safe is a better answer here. *and* at least in the US it takes a court order to force you to open one .. Giving you time to get a lawyer should you need one.

Ooops, sorry, hit the enter button too soon. The legal pitfalls abound. It is not a simple question to answer. What is legal in one state is a 20 year felony in another. One must educate themselves thoroughly. Compliance is often subjective and simply because you believe you have done everything you can to comply doesn't mean a police officer will see it that way. There are many stories of travelers who have been arrested even though their actions were reasonable and the local laws complicated. Possession of a firearm is a political issue in many areas (think New York) and we all know how justice and politics go together. Joining an organization such as the Buckeye Firearms Association or the National Rifle Association is a great place start to become informed. You do not have to live in Ohio to join Buckeye and get their newsletter. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

I have been transporting my handguns from Canada into the USA via New York State and Via Michigan (neither of which I am licensed for) for ten years or more. No problem and I DECLARE THEM TO THE FOLKS AT THE BORDER! They are transported through states where I am not licensed to carry concealed in two small safes from Harbour Freight. One for the handgun(s) and the other for the ammo and ULOADED magazines (a loaded magazine is considered the same as a loaded gun in some states). FOPA permits you to transport through states where you do not have a valid permit and at last count I was good in about 40 states with 4 permits done by mail, after training. You need to be familiar with not only FOPA and interstate transport rules, but also on the specific STATE law regarding transporting a firearm in a motor vehicle as many states permit transporting a LOADED firearm in your vehicle for protection. The best source for current information is the state website.

Having said all of this I would be very careful about transporting through New Jersey, for example, as they are in another world. We leave our guns in PA when zipping across to NJ to visit relatives and pick them up when we resume our trip.

I believe that a handgun or shotgun is absolutely essential, as is a fire extinguisher, when travelling. We have had occasion to protect ourselves TWICE in the past ten years. Once in Orlando Florida.... we did not have the handgun close at hand and escaped by the Grace of God. And also in Toronto, Ontario when our home was subject to an attempted home invasion (we unlocked the safe and took out our weapon in 30 seconds.... having to grab a magazine (loaded) and insert it). We made no bones to the 911 operator that the perps would be leaving feet first if they gained access to our home as they had 4 foot steel prybars and handguns and we were in fear for our lives. The LEO's took them down at gunpoint 60 seconds later. We were very lucky.

Do I believe, personally, in firearms for protection? I am 60 and partially disabled. I could never protect my family without a firearm and I have no intention of being a willing foolish victim. I also outfit my home and vehicles with smoke alarms and fire extinguishers and hope that I never have to use them.

Oh... you also need to know, state by state, where you CANNOT take your firearm under any circumstances, like within a certain distance of a school, a post office, rest stops in some states, etc. BUT AGAIN, you need to know the exact law for each state as you travel through them and abide by them.

I cannot carry in Canada, but I CAN and DO keep firearms in the home, stored safely with combo trigger locks and in a safe. Takes 15 seconds to get them out and keeps them away from those that might misuse them or whatever. Combo trigger locks at $12-15 each add to the expense of the guns as do the safes, but better safe than sorry. It is a criminal offense in many parts to store firearms UNsafely.

For what it's worth. Just sayin'.

I am a concealed carry instructor and can tell you that there are at least 37 states that have a reciprocal agreement to recognize each states permit. I have met several full timers on the road who have shared stories about being approached by strangers trying to over power them to get in their motorhome.

I carry a handgun in my motorhome and keep in concealed but available regardless of what state I am in. Better safe than sorry. Earlier post of retired police officer only allowed to carry a handgun is incorrect. Other post of purchasing the Travelers Guide and contacting a CCDW instructor in your home state is very good advice. Needs to be the state that your drivers licenses was issued in.

Good Luck and Keep Safe!!

Here is a point that any RVer should consider as it has potentially huge liability implications. I'd prefer a neighbor with a shotgun over a handgun. Shotguns are less likely to overpenetrate since they lose velocity much more quickly than a handgun's projectile. They are also less "twitchy" when fired by someone trembling in fear for their lives.