Sign in to follow this  
dcochran1167

Winshield Covers

I got my front windshield shade from here. Liked it so well, I got one each for the driver's window, pass window, front door window and a big shade for a double set of windows mid coach. No snaps or bungees, all magnets, very easy up, very easy down. A bit pricey, but worth it.

http://www.magneshade.com/

Odd this should come up just now.

I have been the last hour putting my snap-on shades up, swearing each time I almost fell off the ladder from 13 feet up, on grass, not the best conditions.

Never thought of ever using magnets

I have the Magneshades for the front and side windows. They are all that they claim to be. Very easy to put up and easier to take down. Putting them up takes me about 30 seconds or so. Taking them down about half that time. However, it takes me longer to roll them up and put them in the carrier that they come with.

You will also find Roger and Clare great peoplel to work with for your needs.

Happy trails.

We have the magnashade. So easy to put up and take down. Well worth the cost and there are no clips or snaps on your rig. Great people to deal with.

Hi Chris,

We have to start thinking about sun shades. Time for us to TRY and spend more time in the sun then is the cold and snow.

Questions I have, do you need to install some magnets to the coach for the shades to attach to and how long have you had yours.

All fiberglass on the front cowling of our coach.

Rich.

I just installed my magneshades a couple weeks ago and love them. If you go to their website, they have instructional videos that explain everything.

Magnets go on the inside for the windshield...really big magnets. All other windows have the magnets on the outside. Roger has a set procedure for cleaning the window and applying the stuff that makes them stick. He supplies everything, all supplies and instructions. So far none of mine have moved.

I am a strong proponent of sun screens. They will significantly reduce the heat that enters your coach on sunny days. Louise says she can feel the change in temperature in the coach when I put the screen on the windshield. All of the cab windows in a class A are usually unprotected and can benefit from a sun screen. We have windows on the ends of slides that have no awning and while they are smaller, they still allow significant heat into the coach. Even windows with awnings allow the sun to peek in at the sides and during early morning or evening. We have found that the sun screens are helpful on those windows as well. Sun screens also do more than keep you cool. They also reduce the damage the sun's rays do to fabrics, plastics and rubber parts of the coach. Direct sunlight fades fabrics, deteriorates plastics and makes rubber brittle and crack.

Our first coach was used and came with a set of sun screens with snaps on all four corners. They sagged and didn't look too good but they were very effective. They were also white and showed stains really well. The set we have now are black and look really sharp on the coach. You can get shades in any color from some suppliers. No matter what the color, they are all transparent. As far as I can tell, the shades are about equally effective in any color though I suspect the black shades should be a little more effective as they get really hot in the sun. Yes, some of the heat would be transferred through the glass but nothing like the amount of heat that would come directly through white shades.

We have been using MCD screens on our current coach since we bought the coach in the fall of 2003. A check of their web site indicates that they are out of the external sun screen business and now manufacturing only roll up shades for the interior of coaches. These stop the heat inside the coach and are much less effective than external screens. We have a set of those as well, they provide privacy and something to reduce the sunlight on an easy to use basis but are no substitute for the external screens. The night shades they have are absolutely the best at getting the coach dark for sleeping. The same set of external screens is still on the coach today. We were full time until the fall of 2010 so those shades were in near constant use (yes even in the winter in Texas) for seven years. Still today I put them on when the coach is in storage parked next to the house here in Texas. We purchased a set with screens for every window on the coach and had them installed at the Monaco International Pre-Rally before the Redmond FMCA Rally in 2004. Every one of them is in good condition today and they still look good on the coach.

The MCD screens were designed to be snapped on when you install them. The snaps are at the top of the screen. There are snaps at the bottom that are for Velcro tabs that secure the bottom of the screen. That way you can stretch them tight so they don't sag. When you remove them you can use the awning puller tool to pop the top snaps loose so you don't have to get on the ladder a second time. I have a good four footed ladder and don't mind using it. I'm up on the ladder anyway to wash the windshield as I hate looking at bug splatter on my picture window. Experience has taught me that the easiest bugs to wash off the coach are the fresh ones so I clean them off after every travel day.

From above posts it looks like many people are using magnet shades. We're in a windy area and I wonder how they do in 20 to 30 mph winds which are routine where we are? I'll have to give them a look if the set I have now gives up the ghost someday or if I physically can't do the ladder climbing anymore.

By the way, we have permanently installed sun screens on our manufactured (mobile) home here in Texas. Most of the windows on the house are facing east or west and we get plenty of sun and really hot days during the summer so they make the house easier and cheaper to cool which is what we do here three fourths of the year. A good set of sun screens is a very good investment to protect your coach and help you keep your cool!

One final note, all sun screens will block the view looking into the coach during the day. When you are outside looking into a darker area you can't see through the screens. At night they become transparent from the outside since the inside is brightly lit. You will have to use curtains or shades at night for privacy.

Thanks to all for the feedback regarding the sun screens.

Now to ponder all the differences and make a choice between all the different materials, mounting systems and how nimble one might be over the next few years. Simple! Well not quite. :D

Oh ! what about the wheel covers ?

OH Boy.

Rich.

Rich,

If you are talking about tire covers, no question, white is best for the tires-- many degrees cooler than the black ones (though the black ones may LOOK cooler).

Thanks for all the input. Has anyone had any issues with the Magashield not holding up if it was windy? Does it hold good at the bottom as well as were the magnets are? Thanks again

Our Magnashades have never moved in any wind. The magnets used on the front shade (by far the biggest) are about the diameter of a quarter and 5/16" thick. There are magnets in the lower corners of all shades, but not across the bottom, none have moved. Roger sends a wooden rod 4' long to assist in mounting...he also puts small pockets in the tops of the shades where the rod goes so you can lift/push the shade to the appropriate magnet.