Sign in to follow this  
mrsrodeo

Love Bug Season.. again

If you have ever traveled in North Central Florida in May and September, then you may have encountered these nasty creatures. There aren't just a couple of them that get on your vehicle there are hundreds of them!

To the great and wise on this forum, I am seeking advice on how to not only remove these critters safely, but also any tips on products to use to prevent them from sticking as badly. Oh, I know there are a gazillion products on the market, but looking for stuff that REALLY works! :ph34r:

My car is already ruined from years of scrubbing these bugs off, and I don't want the coach to have the same scarring effects!

We are heading out on Wednesday, and would love to have something on the coach that will help with removing them!

Dito on the dryer sheets. A used dry sheet and a little water on it melts them right off, then wipe with a dry towel. I have a coffee can full of them and you can tie them together to form a bigger cloth.

I lived in Florida when those critters got so bad. We found that a spray of Pam, the kind used on cookie sheets and other baking utinsels, right on the front end of a clean vehicle worked reasonably well. Never seemed to hurt the finish and is easily removed by using a little Dawn or similar dish detergent. This isn't a cure all but really helped in removing them. Hope this helps.

Kay

Several folks on another forum have recommended Rejex. I ordered some and have put on two coats on the front only...now to see if it works. They claim easy on, easy off, that part is true.

http://www.rejex.com/

Wait for rainy day to travel? haha, just kidding in some parts that is a long wait.

Elbow grease and most "bug remover" products work reasonably well but I agree dryer sheets work best.

Travel across the Midwest and Canadian prairies in summer and you will figure it out.

Water, lots of water, no matter what you use. Others have stated elbow grease when using drier sheets (I prefer Bounce) but be careful as to much pressure will cause the bug to scratch the surface if it has not had time to dissolve. Lightly go over the surface with sopping wet drier sheets, or a wet rag and do it several times to prevent scratching. I learned the hard way on my 3M masking.