Sign in to follow this  
jlandon13399

Switch Covers to Prevent Dog from Tripping Switch

We travel with a 30-pound Australian shepherd. As most dogs do, ours likes to sit in the driver's or passenger's seat when the coach is parked. There have been times when we have returned to the coach and found the sun screens in various positions. Obviously, she has stepped on one or more switches.

Do any of you have suggestions on making covers for the switches on the driver's and passenger's side of the coach?

Jack, noses and happy feet make for a challenge.

Not knowing what tools and your skill sets. One can start with small plastic containers, sometimes the ones used for baby food are close to the correct size to make a cover or cutting pill bottles in half and using Scotch Magic Tape as a hinge to experiment with to start. Very fine saw tooth blades work to cut plastic pill bottles and scissors work on softer plastic items.

Some switches can be equipped with tamper proof covers directly from the manufacturer. should you be able to find some that would interchange easily.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head, Hay! one needs to start somewhere!

Rich.

Be sure and protect the park brake knob from an accidental release. We place a wood block with a eccentric slot that allows it to slide under knob and keep it from being pushed in by our furry friend.

How about using a child gate behind the front seats to keep the pet away from the front? They make them out of plastic now so it wont scratch anything.

desertdeals69,

Can you tell me more about a power off switch? I have a battery disconnect switch but that would shut down everything in the RV.

Find the power wire to the shade switches and put a on-off switch in series and mount the switch under the dash.

Thanks guys for all your help. I have used plastic containers to cover the switches and use a cup to cover the parking brake release knob. We love traveling with our dog but she does provide a few challenges!!

For the brake, I used a cut piece of 1" pvc to the lenght of the shaft on the yellow brake release. I cut a slot down the middle and it just snaps over the brake shaft. It may be tha you could get a piece of PVC long enough that when sliced, the moon shape of the PVC would cover all the buttons. A little inginuity with velcro could keep it in place, or if the moon shape was wide enough it would stay in place by itself.

Just thinking out loud.

p.s.., rain gutters cut to specirication.

Be sure and protect the park brake knob from an accidental release. We place a wood block with a eccentric slot that allows it to slide under knob and keep it from being pushed in by our furry friend.

Use a clothes pin.

How many clothes pins would it take to protect all the buttons on the side dash? I'm sure there are other's besides the front windscreen and E brake on many MH's.

I don't have, and don't miss, any of those fancy buttons on the left side, just the E-brake, Exahust brake, mirror adjust and shift pad. I just worry about the E-brake when first parked and for a few days. As the air tanks deplete it doesn't matter if the e-brake button is released. No air to release the brakes.

Jack,

Let us know how you proceed with a "fix."

Wayne et All,

I used the clothes pin to protect the parking brake to insure my dog will not accentually push down and release the brake. I also used plastic covers to protect the switches. Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

Go to the plumbing section of a big box store and look at the end caps for the various sizes of PVC. cutting a slot so the cap slices under the brake button will work but use you ingenuity. Many of the other suggestions will work too.