azpics

Tire Replacement

I just needed to replace a front Goodyear tire. I needed to replace it with a Michelin.
Now I have one Michelin and one Goodyear on the front tires.

Is this a problem? Should I replace the other goodyear with a Michelin?

It is on 2012 Monaco Diplomat tire size 295/80R 225. Am concerned about handling with different branded tires on the steering wheels of the coach

Don't know how many miles are on your coach, but you might think about moving a matched pair of drive axle tires to steer axle-- of course only if they are good condition.

Kay

Sorry Kay, but I would not advise that. You would be putting matching tires with the same wear on the front and three of the four tires on the rear would be of different wear. Just the slightest difference in size can do damage to the differential over a period of time. Matching tires on the front and matching tires on the rear. Best choice.

Herman

I agree Herman, they do need to match, but in a pinch, I would never agree to put mismatched tires on the steer axle. Of course, if there is a tag axle, that is actually the only place where I would agree for mismatched tires.

If no tag axle, the Goodyear will make a good spare. LOL.

Can you move tires from the steering front to the rear and take the best from the rear to combine with them on the rear and then put news one on the front?

btchart,

Yes, as long as the tires on each side in the rear are very close to the same circumference.

If they are not, then the "taller" tire will carry a disproportionate share of the weight.

Azpics,

Simple answer- buy a matched tire for the steer axle and use the GY for a spare. If you have room to store it of course. Whew...its so easy to spend your money.

btchart,

Yes, as long as the tires on each side in the rear are very close to the same circumference.

If they are not, then the "taller" tire will carry a disproportionate share of the weight.

Brett is correct in his answers.

There are TWO potential Safety issues. One is a potential of a rear tire failure due to overload. The other is potential for unexpected handling in emergency move from mis-matched fronts.

The only way to avoid the front tire issue is to have the identical size, Load Range, Brand and design on both fronts with similar levels of wear.

For matching duals on one side, the tires need to be the identical size, Load Range, Brand and design and in my opinion must match unloaded, measured OC within 3/4". A difference greater than 3/4" will result in the larger tire being forced to carry a larger % of the load of that side which could lead to premature failure.

Here is a 1 min video on this topic.

Matching side to side of the rears is less important than for the fronts but each side of the rear needs two tires that match.

As far a carrying a tire for a spair, check out my 1 min video on that topic.

I just bought a 2005 motorhome with 27,500 miles. The tires look to be in excellent condition with excellent tread. The seller said that he believed them to be the original tires. How long can they be safely and reliably driven on? While there are no obvious signs of deterioration, my fear is that we could be flying down the highway and have a tire come apart, causing perhaps another to so the same. Are there tire treatments that can extend the life expectancy of the tires?

F.N.DeWester,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

With a 2005 coach, with a chassis likely built in 2004, there is no question, your tires are past their safe, useful life.

To verify the tire age, on one sidewall of each tire (may be facing outward and easy to read, or facing inward) is the complete DOT number. The last 4 digits-- usually in a slightly different molded area, as that part of the number is changed every week indicate the WEEK and YEAR the tire was made.

The information on THIS post includes examples of DOT serials.

Tire treatments will not extend tire life past the manufacturer's recommendation, and I know of no tire company suggesting more than 10 years in RV application.

The best protection for tires is the use of white tire covers.

After researching tire replacements with the majority of the work spent of Goodyear and Michelin, I concluded that the only advantage of an RV tire over any other tire is the rubber compound that is more UV tolerant. This makes a large difference in price over truck / bus tires.

I ended up buying 8 General ST3 tires. Half the price of Michelins and for 8 tires that is a lot of bucks! Why Generals….General is owned by Continental…they are widely used by trucks and Buses….Logically they must be safe since they are so widely used even by buses…..I have had a couple trips now and there is no additional road noise above the Goodyear RV670s they replaced, with no perceptible difference in handling.

Interesting note that the installer used no balance weights. Rather, they used shot bags that they simply throw in the tire prior to mounting it on the rim. The tire pressure breaks the bag open and the shot constantly balances the tire by centrifugal force.

I'm very satisfied with my decision..

RE balancing with "shot". Yes this appears to work for many people. You need to remember that by adding material to the inside of the tire you may have voided the warranty. You need to consult the tire MFG and read the fine print in the warranty.

The other concern is the potential for dust from the "shot" plugging the sensor in a TPMS which could render the sensor scrap. I believe there are special valves with filters on the air chamber side that can prevent the damage to TPM sensors.

Note i said "potential" as I have no information on the specific material or warranty from the "shot" MFG that their product will not damage a TPM sensor.

Roger, There are special valve cores with fine screens to keep the powder balance material from getting into the valve seal area.

I have used them. They work well, but are not perfect. The finer powder can pass through the screen, causing a very slow leak.

The only way I have been able to clear the problem is lower the air pressure and air up the tires at times. Should the tire pressure be on the low side one can just add air to clear the leak.

The internal pressure sensors are the only ones that are immune.

Rich.

Roger, There are special valve cores with fine screens to keep the powder balance material from getting into the valve seal area.

I have used them. They work well, but are not perfect. The finer powder can pass through the screen, causing a very slow leak.

The only way I have been able to clear the problem is lower the air pressure and air up the tires at times. Should the tire pressure be on the low side one can just add air to clear the leak.

The internal pressure sensors are the only ones that are immune.

Rich.

"The internal pressure sensors are the only ones that are immune."

Interesting. The internal sensors I have seen from a number of different manufacturers have small holes where the pressure sensor is located. I could see this hole easily getting blocked. But I have no data to go on, so cannot pronounce this good or not. Just a concern till I learn otherwise.

Wonder if the "shot" manufacturer is willing to warranty that their product will not harm an internal sensor.

Roger, The opening should have a isolation diaphragm so moisture or anything else can not get into the units.

Let us know if there is something I'm missing !

Rich.

Roger, The opening should have a isolation diaphragm so moisture or anything else can not get into the units.

Let us know if there is something I'm missing !

Rich.

Yes the opening "should" but while I have not inspected more than about a dozen different sensors, I do not recall seeing any with such a filter. Remember the goal of sensor manufacturers is low weight and low cost for the normal user and adding "shot" to the inside of tires for balance is a very low percentage occurence.

If you balance your tires this way then a special valve filter is a MUST when using an external sensor. If using an internal sensor than I am not sure there is any option to avoid potential sensor damage.

If there is one I would be interested in learning about it.