fredhgross

Yellowstone National Park

Grizzly RV Park in the town of West Yellowstone, MT is my recommendation.

We went above Yellowstone and dropped down to the town of West Yellowstone.

Traffic in/thru the park is very heavy, especially on weekends in the summertime.

We like to stay at Colter Bay in the Tetons with full hook ups and take day trips via auto through Yellowstone. When there take a float trip on the river through the Tetons. This is not white water just very enjoyable. The last one in the day has the best wildlife viewing.

In the park, you can stay in Fishing Bridge campground which has full hookups, but I prefer Bridge Bay campground instead. The sites are not as close, you can have campfires there, and the ranger program is very enjoyable. The bison like to wander through that part of the park, and there is nothing like having a herd 10 feet from your coach.

Some of the sites are not very level, but if you tell the Xanterra rep what you are driving, they will find you something to fit.

Depending upon how much time you have and how long in advance you can make reservations, Fishing Bridge is your best choice as long as you are not 40+ feet long. There are very few sites that will accommodate this size rig. It is most centrally located and will cut your driving time around the park dramatically compared to anywhere outside the park. There are also several very nice dry camping campground with good access as well.

From outside the park it's going to take one full day to do the top loop and one full day to do the bottom loop and you are still going to miss a bunch of stuff.

If this is a round trip vacation I would go up 15 to Idaho Falls and then into West Yellowstone and into the park (or stay in W. Yellowstone for a day or two before moving inside the park) I would then come out the South entrance to go through the Tetons and into Jackson, WY and then 89 back toward Logan.

If this is not a round trip then come up to Logan, Jackson and into the S. entrance.

There are a number of nice campgrounds just northwest of west Yellowstone also.

It is about a 30 minute drive from West Yellowstone to Madison junction. A pretty drive, still gets to be a bit of a commute when you do it twice a day for a week.

We've never stayed in the park. Would like to stay at Madison, or canyon, but not sure we'd fit. I think I heard they closed the canyon campground? Could be wrong. They closed something up that way.

Jackson and the Tetons are great and worth a visit too. Cody is also great. Gardner and west Yellowstone are just OK, except they are close to Yellowstone.

Stay away from the Beartooth pass (red lodge to the northeast entrance) and Teton pass (ID23 from Idaho to Jackson) in the motorhome.

I am looking for guidance on visiting the park by car, rv campgrounds for the coach, best routes from Salt Lake city, etc..

If you have time, the drive from the South Gate of Yellowstone down to Teton is a few hours of postcard beauty..there are some narrow roads in Yellowstone from the loop to the South Gate but they are manageable. We have a 45 ft Beaver towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee and didn't have a problem.