lylefikse

Unexplained Additional Tire Pressure

I recently had my RV serviced at a large southern California dealer. Oil change, air filter change and chassis lubed. We are 1700 miles from home and no place to do work here myself.

On the way home from the dealer my Tire Tracker system went off with a high pressure warning. I wasn't going that far and as there was not a good place to stop I continued back to our RV Park before checking the tires. All but one of my tires had 115 to 117 PSI. I run 105 in the fronts and 100 in the rear duals as suggested (for our weight) on the tire chart by the tire company. One of the rear duals on the drivers side still have 100PSI. That dual is a pain to get to and with my monitor system in place very hard to take off and fill. I think someone at the service department took it upon themselves to add air to my tires except the hard to fill one. When I called them to ask if this is part of there regular service they said they do not touch tires. Weird. Glad I have a pressure monitor. If I had gone a long way I think I may have had trouble.

Suggestion. Check for yourself after someone else has worked on your coach!

Can't explain the extra pressure in our tires. I have adjusted the pressure to what we run at again. I am the only one that puts air in our tires. I believe someone at the dealership added air. They say no. Nothing else explains the change. Our pressure monitoring system would have allerted me if it had been overinflated before.

Little green men from space flew along side of you and changed your tire pressure. You didn't change your air pressure and the dealership said they didn't so that is the only answer. Set your pressure like Brett advised and tell us if stays in the proper range.

And watch out for aliens putting air in your tires after this.

Bill

I know of no technical reason for some tires to gain pressure other than an increase in temperature.

Please remember that TPMS are primarily a warning system for air pressure loss.

When doing pressure testing I use a set of three digital gages. These gages have been tested against ISO certified laboratory gauges and found to be accurate to +/- 0.5 psi which is their smallest reading.

I have tested 12 different TPM sensors and have found them to be "accurate" relative to my test instruments within +/- 2 psi. More importantly I have found the TPM sensors to be repetitive to within +/- 1 psi.

SO I guess what I am saying is that once you set your COLD pressure using your "Master" digital gauge and then screw on the TPM sensor you can look at the TPM reading and use that as your base.

What do the sensors look like? There is fiberglass tool with a soft rubber tip that is made to remove and install the cap on inside valve stems. Available at larger truck stops Got mine at Petro. Perhaps it would fit over the sensor to remove or replace it. I can't think of the name but it is easy to recognize. I have never used TPMs. Probably would not have made the trip to the receiver when on a 53 foot trailer behind an extended hood "large car." At 135,000 or more miles a year the batteries might have broke me.

I will try to find and post the name of the inexpensive tool used to remove and replace valve caps on inside tires. I would post a pic of mine, but my Digital Canon takes really detailed pics with a gazillion pixels. They won't make through the FMCA posting rules and I don't know how to reduce the file size to pass muster. The tool is one that everyone with duals would probably enjoy having.

I will try to find and post the name of the inexpensive tool used to remove and replace valve caps on inside tires. I would post a pic of mine, but my Digital Canon takes really detailed pics with a gazillion pixels. They won't make through the FMCA posting rules and I don't know how to reduce the file size to pass muster. The tool is one that everyone with duals would probably enjoy having.

Ken Tool is one of the mfg of the tool. I think it sells for about $7. I use a 5 inch solid metal extension on the inner dual and the cap or the tpms transmitter goes on the end.

The inexpensive valve cap tool that I mentioned is called a Valve Pal. I check my tires before leaving in the AM. Habit after many years. Equalize if necessary and when we stop every 100 or so miles, I hit them with a hammer. If the sound is different, out comes the gauge. When trucking by myself the stops were often hundreds of miles, but I was younger. Miss that/ being younger I mean.

Well the OP hasn't ben back since his last post 21 March 2015 - 02:21 PM. I surest he found out that I posted was true.

Bill

:)

Do a Google search on "image resizer" there are a number of similar utilities. With this program you can simply right click on the photo file you want to reduce in size and select the output you want. File size can be reduced by 50 to 80% with no visually noticeable change in the image.

RE tire pressure check. Hammer test has been proven to be off by 20 to 40% in controlled tests. Checking with a hand gauge only tells you how much air is in the tire at the time of the check. I liken this to opening the hood and checking oil level. If you do that there is no need for an oil pressure gauge or water temperature gauge on the dash. Would you feel comfortable with no engine monitoring instruments?