michaelhillhouse

Generator Bogs Down With AC On

I have a 7500 W Quite Diesel Gen and when I try to run the AC's the gen bogs down looses power and idles at a very slow pace until I take the load off at the thermostat switch . It then returns to a normal idle and the power is restored .

When I say bogs down it goes to a low idle and drops the load.

I had a repair man look at the AC's and they are running at 9 Amps under start up and load conditions and at first the generator runs fine but after about an hour the problem starts . From there it only runs for about 2 or 3 min .

The gen started this while we were at the Indy Car Races Saturday night after running continuously 24 hours.

The fuel gauge is 3/4 full so I don't know where to look HELP.

Regards,

Michael

Have you checked the cooling system? Water/antifreeze level, cooling fan, etc..

Not knowing what year the generator is, the older models used brushes on the commentator, if the brushes have become worn, it could cause some of the effects that you describe.

I checked the coolant and oil levels both were fine . It is a 2003 Dutch Star . The voltage level is No Load 117 and under load 116 . A problem I'm facing is the unit is a sealed box quite diesel so I don't have any idea if the cooling fan is working or not .

Michael,

As mentioned above how may hrs. between fuel filter change? What are the total hrs on the hr meter?

The voltage level is No Load 117 and under load 116.

How long did you run the unit in the no load condition?

There is a belt that drives the cooling pump - the belt could have failed or needs to be replaced due to ware and it is now slipping.

I do not know if your generator is mounted on a slid out, but if it is not; the only way to change or get to the belt is to remove the generator and the generator drops down out of the bottom of the coach.

Rich.

have you changed the fuel filter?

Double check with Newmar how many fuel filters are on the generator fuel line circuit from the tank to the generator.

I believe we have the same generator and your is only one year newer, you can tell if the fan is spinning by running the unit and slide under the coach slowly, you should feel air rushing downward or pulling upward, the fan is located toward the front of the generator, while you are underneath the front of the generator has the air filter access with a wingnut, it sites up inside a cavity, I would double check that is not clogged (Engine off for that).

The reason I mentioned this; we have filter inside the case on the generator and one fuel water separator hidden above the coach fuel tank, on the the side that the compartment door does not open without removing it. I found it by accident when I had to change the fuel lines to the Coach engine. It was so old all I could see was rust and a glass bowl full of sediment.

I suspect no one knew it existed so it was missed at its service intervals.

jleamont, posted, I believe we have the same generator and your is only one year newer, you can tell if the fan is spinning by running the unit and slide under the coach slowly, you should feel air rushing downward or pulling upward, the fan is located toward the front of the generator.

Yes the blower is at the front and is directly driven from the Generator portion, but the belt driven Cooling pump / water pump is at the very back of the unit; right above the DC 12 volt connections. So the fan can be turning, but the water pump might not be !

One could take a look at this link to see the generator layout with the covers removed.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MO/mobiletech/2013-01-12_182701_20130112_132245.jpg

Rich.

I remember reading about an inline filter added by some coach builders between the generator and fuel tank. My unit has a radiator with electric cooling fans mounted across the frame behind the generator. I have spent very little time under the front end but I will be checking for the possible inline filter. Could the additional radiator be an after market fix, or do you folks have one also?

Perhaps what I mentioned is actually the a/c condenser for the dash air?? That would be at least a 30ft run from the compressor. Haven't been underneath any further than lubeing the steps. I will be headed to the storage yard shortly. I will slide under on a piece of pegboard that I keep as a "creeper." Works anywhere. Gravel is just no fun to crawl on.

What a great place to put an a/c condenser! Between steer tires slinging stuff and 30 feet or more from the compressor.

What a great place to put an a/c condenser! Between steer tires slinging stuff and 30 feet or more from the compressor.

It works great.

Bill

Well I guess everybody is mounting it there. Wrong again!! I bought a twin fan rooftop condensor on sale from an area KW store, had custom hoses made, and put it up top on the front of my 88 gasser. Used R-12 so it threw ice cubes out. The engine ran cooler also. Those were the days. I would never attempt it again though.

Well I guess everybody is mounting it there. Wrong again!! I bought a twin fan rooftop condensor on sale from an area KW store, had custom hoses made, and put it up top on the front of my 88 gasser. Used R-12 so it threw ice cubes out. The engine ran cooler also. Those were the days. I would never attempt it again though.

How is what you did on a 1988 gasser relevant to the op post on his 2003 diesel pusher?

Bill

You picking on me again? Just making small talk, but I do wish the condensor was up there instead of underneath. Oh! By the way. I think that post I read on an inline filter between the tank and the generator was Crusingator on the TRVN site. A lot of responders on that site found that they had them and didn't know it. Even a small filter in need of change would really limit power. Maybe it is just something that Tiffin does?

Just got home from a rally with the Chapter club that we belong to.

Thanks everybody for the replies, I have a new fuel filter and going to try and change it tomorrow. will let you know if that helps with the problem.

Wildbill, where do I check the codes at?

Regards,

Michael

Just got home from a rally with the Chapter club that we belong to.

Thanks everybody for the replies, I have a new fuel filter and going to try and change it tomorrow. will let you know if that helps with the problem.

Wildbill, where do I check the codes at?

Regards,

Michael

Michael, on the start switch on the generator, press it toward the off-prime. It will flash a code. Look in your owners Manuel page 47 for a description of how to interrupt the codes. If you don't have a copy you can down load one from Quick serve. you should have your engine serial number and your generator serial number.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/portal/index.html?message=esnupdated

Bill

I changed the fuel filter this morning and it seems to be running fine now. I ran it for over 2 1/2 hours and no problem.

I really appreciate your's and all the responses as I didn't have any Idea where to start and I learned where to look and change the oil filter and oil myself.

Regards,

Michael