Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Country Coach Inspire Not Starting

When I attempt to start my engine, I get a click sound, but the starter doesn't engage.

When I repeat the starting process a couple more times, the starter engages and starts just fine.

I'm thinking I may have a solenoid going out. Other thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

RJ

2005 Country Coach Inspire C-9 Cat

Ron,

With the key on check both post on each solenoid. I have just had a similar situation. One bad solenoid. However replacing it I still had a problem. Turns out I had one bad chassis battery and one very questionable one. Replaced both, all idiot lights came on--- nothing. I was just about to start the checking when that little light came on. :o I went to the rear of the coach and moved the remote start switch from rear to front and BAM it started right up. :)

Herman

Have you checked all your connections, clean and tight? Have you checked the battery's also check all your grounds. Yes you could have a solenoid going out, check it like Herman advised.

Bill

Hi Herman.

I might have the same problem. When I had 7 tires replaced in Oregon last August, I had to use my house batteries to start engine. We checked chassis battery and found a dead cell in one, so I replaced both and have had no problem until now. If coach sits for 4 or more days, then it just clicks and I need house batteries to start.

Carl

Carl, et al,

You really need to remedy that or expect very short battery life from discharging that deeply-- either by finding a way to charge the chassis battery (better) or disconnecting it when parked.

Charging really depends whether you are on shore power while parked. If so, either a small (like 2 amp) smart charger is one option. The other option is a smart relay such as Xantrex Echo Charger that steals a few amps from the house battery (which is charged by your inverter/charger).

Thanks Brett, that I can do.

How do I find the cause off the drain on start batteries? Whether I'm in a RV park or the coach is in the garage on power, there should not be such a big drain!?

Carl

Carl,

Let me put that differently: If you are on shore power, you should (almost MUST) have some means of keeping the chassis battery charged. Even a 2 amp smart charger (and there are some very good ones designed specifically for doing this) will keep the chassis batteries charged.

A method that works for me/ buy a cheap set of jumper cables and pull them apart. When the starting battery voltage drops to around 12.5 or so I hook the red half side of the cables house battery positive to starting battery positive. The batteries have a common ground. Leave the cable on for a few hours and then put it away. You will figure a cycle to use.

I do use battery trickle chargers for the two vehicles that we leave behind, but to use one the road, I would have to run an extension cord to the battery compartment. As Brett said there are trickle chargers that can do the job on coach starting batteries. Some are even designed to be permanently mounted, but you would need nearby access to 120 volts or an extension cord.

Jumping positive of house battery to positive of chassis battery WILL work.

But, one has to be VERY careful, as either end of that wire is hot and if you happen to touch any metal part of the chassis/coach, you will be arc welding!

LOL!

I do know about a 2amp, use it on my motor cycle. Never have I had to use one on an RV, DP or gas! Why now? None of my SKP friends, that I camp with for 3 months a year do it....confused.

You need to find problem

Do you leave your air dump on as it draws power and will discharge battery's

LOL!

I do know about a 2amp, use it on my motor cycle. Never have I had to use one on an RV, DP or gas! Why now? None of my SKP friends, that I camp with for 3 months a year do it....confused.

There are (sadly) quite a number of coaches with NO provision for charging the chassis battery from anything but the alternator. So, it is really not that uncommon to need to fix this "oversight" by the manufacturer.

A relay is in order....I'll have it taken care off ASAP!

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated! :)

Carl

The problem turned out to be the starter solenoid. The contacts had corroded and we're making intermittent contact. I was able to remove the back of the solenoid, remove and clean the contacts, reassemble and now the coach starts every time.

This was an easy job if you are a little mechanically inclined, it takes about an hour.

RJ

2005 CC Inspire #51264

My coach came with a Lambert but when Mr Lambert died they were not availed my unit died and I installed a Trik L Start , it a cheap little battery keep it up with a 5 amp out and has worked as well as the lambert over the years.