mibus1635

Tire Rotation, Class A Motorhome

We enjoy a 2015 unit that now has approx. 11,000 miles. The Freightliner chassis handbook shows a "normal" tire rotation for a two axle, 6 wheel vehicle but a service manager has told me he believes drive tires and steering tires are not to be interchanged. I need some clarification.

Thanks

mibus1645,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

It is not necessary to rotate tires on your coach UNLESS you experience uneven wear on a tire (would usually happen on a front if at all).

There is no restriction against rotating front to back, the only restriction is that both tires on one side of a dual must be the same or very close to the same diameter so both share the load.

So, IF you rotate, choose the rear side that has the better tires (usually left rear, as they are curbed less) and bring them to the front. Then both fronts to that left side.

Direction of rotation is only important on a very few models of tires and they will have directional arrows on the sidewall to indicate this.

I've been rotating tires as I purchase new tires. I put two new tires on the front and move the front tires to the rear, both on the same side. I replace the oldest set of tires on the rear and they are discarded. This way I always have the newest tires on the front and the oldest tires on the rear. I recently switched from Goodyear to Michelin on the front so my next purchase will have to be four Michelins. The Michelins on the front aren't showing any unusual wear after two years and 25,000 miles which is better performance than I experienced in the past. Once I get the set uniform then the next front tires will go to the rear after two years and I'll be purchasing a pair of new tires every two years.

I agree with what Brett said.

If you are changing any tires that involve a pair in dual position you need to measure the circumference of a fully inflated tire when it is off the vehicle. The OC of the two tires need to match within +/- 3/4" This holds for all duals in RV applications.

I have a blog post with pictures when I did a rotation on my RV.

After a little searching I found this thread and need to resurrect it as my motorhome heads to the shop this week for replacement of the automatic transfer switch.  When I purchased my motorhome 2-1/2 years ago, a condition of that purchase was the installation of new tires.  The previous owner installed six new, Goodyear G661 255/70R22.5 load rating H tires which meet the tire requirements (i.e. load rating H).    After 2-1/2 years the tires now have 11,000 miles of use.   My interpretation of the comments in this thread is the tires do not need to be rotated -- correct ??

The Goodyear G661 HSA tires have given me zero problems thus far and they provide a comfortable ride ! 

As usual, I appreciate any and all comments and education from the forum  as it seems I'll forever be in diesel pusher motorhome class 101.....

Brett --

Thanks for the prompt response!   My tires look almost new with no unusual wear.  I'll heed your advice and "not" rotate the tires.

The tiers I took off last year looked great except one had thrown most of its tread. :huh:

Brett is right the general rule is not to rotate. 

Bill

I have never rotated since they came out with steel belted, radial tires...gas or diesel coach's!  When I got this coach, as second owner, I had front & rear alignment checked.  14 months later, I replaced all 8 tires and now have over 36,000 miles on them, still looking  good for tread and sidewall.

Looking for advice, I have an Entegra Anthem with Michelin XZA2’s front 315/80R/22.5 rear has 295’s. The passenger front has wear on outside, I’m thinking toe is out of alignment. My question is can I rotate the two front tires or have dismounted and flipped?  I don’t think they are directional. They are three years old and have about 25K. Thank you in advance for any advice.