wildebill308

Is The Fuel You Are Buying The Same Brand As The Station

This summer I ran across this in northern NY State. I had just crossed back from Canada and needed Diesel. Found a Shell station that I could get into and was pumping fuel when I noticed a small tag on the pump "This diesel is not a Shell product". I have never noticed this before. Just wondering if any one else has noticed this at any other stations. This was the only time I came across this. Just one of those things that make you go "what"!

Bill

This has been for many years. Both gas and diesel is stored in bulk and when a station gets a delivery of fuel if that station advertises a particular additive is in their fuel it is added when it is pumped into the underground tank. A lot of blending is done at the tank.

Talk about additives. I just got diesel for my Jeep at a Chevron and now since it's been down in the 20s overnight darn thing is hard starting. At least the Shell station have the Power Service already in it for better starting. My bad. :angry:

Yes I know about how they have additive packages for each brand.

What I am commenting on is a Shell station not selling Shell diesel and having a sign on the pump saying "This is not a Shell Product" But not having anymore info.

Bill

If you go to a tank farm you will see tankers from just about every brand of fuel there. The additives such as octane boosters are added on delivery to the station.

Bill, to answer your question, Yes I have seen that before, where you go to a specific branded gas station expecting only their product line and one product will have a label stating that it is not their fuel. It has made me nervous before and a bit hesitant to purchase the product, here is why. I had a friend that owned a gas station back in the 80's and early 90's, he told me that he had to purchase so much fuel from the franchiser, at the time it was Exxon, and some fuel he could purchase from a brokerage company to save a few cents per gallon. Back then I do not believe he had to advertise this on the pump, It wouldn't surprise me that now they would have to affix a sticker to let the consumer know.

If you go to a tank farm you will see tankers from just about every brand of fuel there. The additives such as octane boosters are added on delivery to the station.

You might want to go back and carefully re read my OP and #4.

Bill

Shell makes a diesel product and apparently that station doesn't carry it, for whatever reason. They're notifying you that you are not buying the Shell V-Power product. Can't say as I've ever noticed it before, but I can only recall one time that I filled my coach at a Shell station.

Shell makes a diesel product and apparently that station doesn't carry it, for whatever reason. They're notifying you that you are not buying the Shell V-Power product. Can't say as I've ever noticed it before, but I can only recall one time that I filled my coach at a Shell station.

Well I normally don't use Shell either but had just crossed back into the US in northern NY State and was low on fuel and this was the first station I could get into. Ok so I had over 1/4 tank left but I don't like getting to low.

Bill

I don't like it below 1/4 either...but the other day, I thought I was on fumes and turns out that I have a lot of fuel left when on empty...like 1/4 tank...guess the gauge needs some adjustments :) But rather have it read low than suddenly start choking from lack of fuel :)

Good article Kay. Fuel quality is a concern I always have. I now keep a large mason jar and funnel in the bay where my fuel tank is. If I am unfamiliar with a station I will dispense some into the jar and look at the color and to see if there is any water in it, smell it prior to filling the coach. I have a Cetane tester at home but I have not brought that with me yet, hopefully I never get burned and feel forced to start testing fuel. I cant count how many times I had customers towed in after fueling to find they purchased Diesel and what they got was a watery mixture of flammable something or a clear fuel that burned like alcohol. 10 years ago it was more common around here.

Now we mostly see the Diesel fuel tank with 10+ gallons of DEF in it. :o

So far I have had good luck purchasing fuel where all the truckers stop. Love's and Pilot, you know that fuel will be good or the truckers would not be there. Cheaper is not always better, just saying!

Bill.

Perhaps you should start beating with a 2x4, works on mules!

I have never seen a sticker or disclaimer on a fuel pump! I also, would go "WHAT ?"