lylefikse

$32 Mistake Putting Seals In Sealand Toilet

Our toilet would no longer hold water. Seals were bad. I looked at U-tube videos on replacing the seals and thought "no problem". Wrong! Not that the repair was hard, it was easy.

My mistake was thinking that I needed to remove two phillips head screws behind the foot lever and water valve. I found out the hard way that this is the spring assembly on the foot pedal and with the removal of these screws it releases the tension on the assembly. After trying unsuccessfully for two hours to put it back together, I spent the $32 for a new one. Maybe you could find it for less, but I needed it now, and that is what it costs at the local RV parts store.

All you need to remove is the two outside bolts that hold the foot pedal and water valve on. The spring assembly behind slides off the shaft intact.

This must have been a problem others have had because the new spring cartridge comes with specialty screws that takes a special screwdriver to take it apart.

On the plus side the new spring assembly makes our foot pedal work much better. :)

I have changed seals on several different toilets and I never touched the valve assembly. All I did is loosen the big "hose" clamp, take the 2 plastic clamping pieces, lift the bowl off and replace the gasket and seal. Total time to do the job is less than 10 minutes.

Bill in my case the water started to leak on the floor. DW was blaming me until she figure it was just water. :rolleyes:

I understand! :lol:

I have had both Sealand and Thetford and for both, every once in a while DW will put on the gloves (bless her heart) get some soap and reach down and clean the seals. The Sealand seemed to be more prone to grit getting on/under the seal. There was a tool made (just a flat head screwdriver with a 1" right angle bend at the tip) to get under the seal, but the gloved hand and soap did the trick better. BTW, gloves are optional if you prefer.

Also, every once in a while I WILL put on the gloves and give the seal a light coat of Vaseline. So far so good. Gloves have not torn. Toilet does not leak.

I periodically put on the "cheap" gloves (I also have some high voltage Electrician gloves) and clean the bottom of the seal and the bellows. I then put a generous amount of silicone plumbers grease on the bottom of the seal and in the bellows. I keep a couple of small containers that are labeled for black water use such as the toilet and sewer hose gaskets. The reason for the plumbers grease is that it is designed for use in faucets and hose connections. It is waterproof and will not dry out gaskets and seals.

I also keep one in my plumbing tool box marked for "Potable" water use.

I have changed seals on several different toilets and I never touched the valve assembly. All I did is loosen the big "hose" clamp, take the 2 plastic clamping pieces, lift the bowl off and replace the gasket and seal. Total time to do the job is less than 10 minutes.

OK new motorhome, complained to the dealer that the "sealand"toilet is leaking on the floor where do I get the seals, and how do I take it apart?

Mwilson,

It sounds like water valve if clean water. If not clean water it may be the base gasket or worst if brand new motorhome.

Well anyway it must be fixed soon or you will face replacing the floor.

Seals and water valve should be available at any good RV or boat place.

OK new motorhome, complained to the dealer that the "sealand"toilet is leaking on the floor where do I get the seals, and how do I take it apart?

If this is a new motorhome still under warranty, the dealer needs to repair it.

Seals, compression fittings, hoses and other water paraphernalia can rupture at any time. Little leaks are a small problem that need to be repaired, but, I'm wondering how many turn the water off at the outside faucet when the go sight seeing or are away from the MH. A couple of times in our travels we have come back home after sight seeing and OTHER RV's have had water pouring out of the unit. Not something that I really want to experience. In truth, I do not turn the faucet off - just don't remember to do it.

Wayne, I shut off the water when we leave. I also do not run down the road with the water pump on and I never leave gray or black valves open when I am not empting the tanks, they get shut immediately after. If someone needs to use the restroom in travel they turn it on the way in and off when they exit. I also lock the bay doors after draining the tanks, we have heard of kids pulling valves open then closed when the cap is on so when owner pops the cap off he gets soaked, its a game we have heard about, in a motorhome this is usually not a concern since your valves are inside a compartment.

We were camping a few years ago and the CG backed up into a trailer's gray tank, it was running out the door. Another time a snake was in the CG sewer line and crawled up a sewer hose into a tank. No thanks!

I can do enough dumb things on my own, I don't need an outside source contributing to my madness. :P When we all catch up we will have to exchange stories sometime. I.e the time I took the toilet out (week before waiting for parts) and decided to flush the antifreeze out of the water system. I realized it when I could hear water running in the hose and it didn't stop like usual, I shut the water off and walked inside :o

Last coach, not this one. :)

Our friends last year showed us how they flush their black tank on their TT last Easter in Gettysburg, (no black tank flush connection) after telling us Motorhome people how there is no need for a black tank flush connection they put a boot on the pedal and fill it up then pull the lever to release the water.....YUP you guessed it, put the boot on the pedal and walked outside and forgot about it, they opened the door a few minutes later and the tidal wave came out the door :o .

We still laugh about that :lol:

Yep! Have a few stories of my own - remind me to tell you the time I asked Earlene (DW) for help putting the hose on the sewer drain and she asked if she was going to get anything on her and I replied "No." She doesn't help me any more.

Yep! Have a few stories of my own - remind me to tell you the time I asked Earlene (DW) for help putting the hose on the sewer drain and she asked if she was going to get anything on her and I replied "No." She doesn't help me any more.

:lol: Mine comes out to ask me all the time if I need help, when I say sure I get the same question. I just smile and tell her "I got this, go pull the chairs out".

Everyone does their waste differently and run down the road differently! When my gray tank is 3/4 full, my black is about 1/2, so I pull the blade on BW first and then pull gray, that cleansed the hose, then close gray. Both closed until needed again. Bay door locked....I hate it when my 3" runs away! Water hose is always on.

Running down the road, I'm switched over to fresh water tank and I just turn pump on/off as needed. If I eat in coach during day, I use my finest Corel china and utensils, before hitting road again, I place about 2" of hot, soapy (Dawn) water in sink with plate and silver ware, place cover over sink and let the coach wash ! I'm not concerned about what goes bump in the day. Just at night!

Camping should be as simple as possible ! I'm now going to pour some wine and have a pleasant HH in Perry RV Park!

Carl

Carl, we do the same with regards to tank emptying. I empty the Black every few days or when it hits 1/2. The gray gets dumped daily with 4 of us taking showers it fills up quick, usually first thing in the morning I go out side with my cup of coffee pull the valve and go sit under the awning and relax. Safer outside, just me and the dog while the hair dryers and hair spray is flowing, no place for me in there. My DW has the kids trained to take long hot showers, drives me nuts. Depending how long we are out we mostly use paper plates.

Joe.

You at least have your priorities right. Man, life with one female is hard enough, 3 ? Not me...I want to remain "sane", whatever that is!

Carl