cmarq

Amish Cooling Unit Install In Dometic NDR1292

I just ordered a new Amish cooling unit for a Dometic NDR 1292 double door fridge in my 2003 Pace Arrow, I want to do this myself.

Has anyone done this? I would like advice cautions etc. I did get the instructions from supplier and looked at You Tube video.

But first hand advice is helpful.

Thanks

I believe it would be the same as doing a Norcold if you do a search. I think taking the doors off to make the unit lighter will help to handle it better.

cmarq,

This one of those cases where I would find someone with Dometic experience to do the work. My first thought would be to ask the manufacturer if they have someone in your area they trust.

Herman

Do it yourself!!!

I did a Dometic and a Norcold last summer...not problem. It will take two people however. You will need some power. The units are screwed in pretty well so be patient and it has been there a while. When you are ready to pull it out one person will push from outside and the other pull and control what is happening by the pusher outside!!

That said make a table about a 1/2 inch shorter than where the refrigerator sits and about 20 inches wide and 3 feet long. 2 X 4s work for legs, just make it sturdy!. It is not necessary to remove the doors.

Use some padding for the floor and put it face down with some blocking to prevent it from rocking all over and to make it steady while prying the old one out.

Getting the old unit out is the hard part. Pay particular attention to where the temp sensor is placed inside on the cooling fins. Get the extra cooling fan kit and the internal fans. It made a huge difference where it was placed on the one I did.

It took a few days for this one to settle in and since it has worked perfectly. I'm 70 and unless you are older than Herman and he is several years older than I am you can handle it. Jusst pullin you leg Herman.

Seriously it is not a tough one, physics will be your best friend. Once you get this one done you will be ready to do Hermans...I can hardly wait to meet you Herman, but I have to get all my upgrades made on this new coach before I can come out to play. :)

Good luck, If you need more info send me a PM.

Bill

No problem Bill. My motto is to keep moving. I was in the Navy and would rather be saluted then painted Gray.

I didn't repair my unit, I replaced it with a residential. Removing the ole Norcold was the easiest part. I just pulled it out of its hole. Cut off everything on the back, took everything off the front and removed everything on the inside. Then came the fun part. I took my recuperating saw, cut it into small pieces and threw them out the front door. ;):angry::D

If you are in Perry and would like to see my installation I will be more then happy to show it to you.

See everyone in 23 days in Perry.

Herman

No problem I am 73. Ibuprofen in my tool box and I'm ready. Thanks for the idea of a stand I will do that. I am going to take the doors off the handles don't look like they will take the weight. If they break parts for the NDR1292 are scarce. Time is not a problem as I have 7 Saturdays and I do have help to do the lifting.

The Dometic NDR1292 is discontinued and I thought about going residential but I only have 2 6Volt GC batteries no room for more and 95% of our camping is dry 3 weeks at a time. I have solar but would need a lot more. I do have 2 fans at the top of the refer vent with a 135 degree thermistor on the coils they move a lot of air. I am going to order the interior fan, I hope it goes well once it is done I found a experienced person to help me install my laminate floating floor, Thanks again for the advice.

Any body with the name "Herman" needs a "recuperating" saw for sure. The last time I teased you Herman I didn't get much this time I got what I expected. Good, You are on the "meet' list but it will have to wait as we can not get out of the Colorado high country, too much snow. My other excuse is I do not yet have my newly purchased PORSCHE Safari Panther motor home and there is a lot of upgrading to do to it before it hits the road. We get to go get it in April when the snow slows down and the roads dry out. I have considered the all electric but do not think I am old enough yet to handle a "recuperating" saw so it will have to wait. When you see a PORSCHE motor home you will know who it is. Never seen one, just wait...

Bill

PS, Herman are those saws expensive? I'm laughing so hard it has been hard to get this done. I sure hope this is not the end of this! I'm going to start a scrap book. ha ha

Yes Gentlemen, it is a "Very Expensive Saw." While recuperating from sugary I wanted to continue working on my projects. So my Dr. wrote a prescription of this Very Expensive Saw. :)

Medicare paid for the complete Prototype unit but would only cover 80% of the production model. Thank goodness for Mutual of Omaha who covered the balance. :)

Since then Snap-On, Matco and Craftsman have applied of licensing agreements, but at this time none have been granted. :(

Herman

"A Texan, Born and Raised in TEXAS"

Herman you are Good sport for taking all this Super High Intensity Training. Best part I am sure there is more to come. Hence my scrap book. I have a Texan friend living high above me here in Evergreen and you all have something in common being Texan. I will tell later.

Bill

Here I was standing up for Herman and I went down in flames! :( We are a sorry group. :rolleyes: Can't claim birth right, just Texan by choice :)

Carl