lylefikse

AC Fan Noise

Our front AC unit fan started to make a squealing noise today (still running).  It has been running all day as it is hot in Mesa today.  Does this mean a new AC unit or can the fans be replaced?  Anyone had a similar problem?

Wonder if the fan motor has bearings or just bushings?  If bushings, may be worth trying to lube them with a light-viscosity non-detergent oil such as sewing machine oil.

I had the same problem. For a temporary fix you can spray the shaft with a good penetrating oil like Rem oil. there are no roller bearings as it is just a sleeve bearing.

I ordered this motor from Amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/Fasco-D1092-5-0-Inch-Replacement-Enclosure/dp/B007VJUB9S?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Bill

They use an oil lite / sleeve bearing on the AC fan motors. I have made it a practice to oil them each fall before the cold weather sets in around the Great Lakes. With nothing more then a tooth pick or an Hors d'oeuvre Pick. These offer a little more surface area, for just a little more oil. One can purchase a pin oilier from some specialty shops. think watch and clock repair web sights. OH, an the same oil and little oil tipped  container works real good keeping door hinges and cargo bay locks working !!

Got to admit to trying a very small straw, but always tended to get more oil then needed and I'm not found of oil in places other then where I want it !!

The best ones I have found are oils made for bicycle chains and a product Called TriFlow. both can be purchased in the spray can or in the non spray containers. Sprays always go where oil is not wanted.

This types of oil tends to be absorbed by the bearing sleeve. A little goes a long way and because the bearing absorbs the oil the area does not collect allot of dust.

Using 3 to 4 drops each time one a year has worked real well for me. The fact that your motor is noisier, it might need to be treated twice in the same day, after the motors have run for an hr or so. Even if it is much quieter. This should cover it until you set a scheduled time of the year to remove the cover clean the area and put 3 or 4 drops on the shaft, Where it enters the motor housing!!   

First started using it to oil the same type bearing on the furnace blower assembly for the home heating and AC.

OH, FYI - The AC units and motors are now 15 years old and still running smooth. 

Rich.

I have not tried it but I think if you drill a small hole 0.098 or so in the bearing housing you should be able to inject the oil into the housing. Supposedly there is a foam or felt filler inside to hold the oil. On my motor there is a felt washer around the shaft on the outside of the bearing housing.

The funny part is I haven't changed the motor yet because it is running great since I oiled the bearings this spring. :rolleyes: I may try drilling the housing to load more better oil into them and just take the new motor with me just in case. 

Bill

1 minute ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I have not tried it but I think if you drill a small hole 0.098 or so in the bearing housing you should be able to inject the oil into the housing. Supposedly there is a foam or felt filler inside to hold the oil. On my motor there is a felt washer around the shaft on the outside of the bearing housing.

The funny part is I haven't changed the motor yet because it is running great since I oiled the bearings this spring. :rolleyes: I may try drilling the housing to load more better oil into them and just take the new motor with me just in case. 

Bill

Your though regarding drilling a hole into the bearing support area is note worthy. The catch is most Fan motor bearings are not easily accessed because of the cap assemblies design. 

An, yes many motors do have an access / oil hole in the support web with felt around the outer surface of the bearing. 

Rich. 

I like to use a good Teflon oil, such as Remington gun oil, usually holds up very well. I have used it on printers for years, I put it on then wipe the excess oil about 30 minutes later, this helps reduce the dust buildup.

Rich, Go look at the one I posted a link to. You can magnify the bearing housing area. I think it is worth trying. Maybe next week after I get home. Worst case I have a new motor. 

I still remember the old units had oil pipes that fed the bearings.

Bill

Wow, many great ideas! I had the same problem on our last coach with the heater and ac unit. I replaced both motors, tried to lube the ac still noisy, just couldn't get the oil in. I would have tried the drill approach, hadn't crossed my mind. 2 months after the compressor went, just my luck. I replaced the roof top unit with a higher BTU unit from PPL for around $500. 

Finally had time to tear into this problem today.  The squirrel cage fan inside the enclosed housing had come loose from the motor shaft.  A little cleaning and tightening the set screw solved the problem.  I had not taken this housing apart before during regular maintenance.  Took a little time, but problem solved.

Lyle, glad that it was relatively easy fix. Getting to the interior of the blower box is not easy, but the repair did not cost much other then your time. Considering what a shop bill would have been, not a bad payday in away!!!

Rich.