ccmsm

Roof A/C Leaks Water

Our middle ac leaks water inside our coach sometimes. It doesn't do it when it rains and it always happens at night after it has been running a lot. The drain is not stopped up and the coil etc. looks clean. It is a Coleman ac and will be 2 years old next month.

Any advise would be appreciated.  

Thanks ccmsm

What make and year coach do you have?  is the AC's ducted?   In other words, I have 26 lovers inside my coach on celling...like inside a house.  Some older model coaches did not have a sub celling and you could see the bottom of each unit inside coach.

Carl 

I have a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery with 3 AC's. There are 30 louvers with 12 being filters and 18 outlets. I do have to clean them once a month. All of them cool very good. I can't see the units from inside. My neighbor took the shroud and coil cover off yesterday and everything looked good. The drain hole was not stopped up. My last coach was a 2014 Winnebago Adventurer and it had drain pipes so it drained off the back. This one just drains on the roof which causes problems with my slide toppers. 

The Discovery should have the same set up as the WA.  Have you called Fleetwood Tech?  If not, you'll need your Vin# and FIN# !  Have you looked at one of the other units to see if it has a drain line?

Carl

Particularly in humid condition, the evaporator can freeze up.

Check with Coleman to see if you have a freeze sensor on the evaporator.

And, running fan on high speed will minimize the icing/dripping.

Brett.  OP says it only happens at night....Other than that I agree with you.  I run it on high fan not auto in Summer anywhere East of Post, Texas or San Antonio ! :lol:

Carl

Ya, at night, it is easier for a good A/C to experience temperatures below 32 degrees IF, repeat IF no freeze/temperature sensor.

And, with HIGH humidity. there is lots of condensate.  

I can attest to that as of right this minute:  Dew point 78 degrees F.

We are on Hilton Head Island in SC. It is 92 here with a heat index of 103 with a dew point of 74 at 7 PM. We have cut the temp to 76  on the middle one so it hasn't had to work as hard today so we will see what happens tonight. The water comes out the return louver directly under it. What worries me is it could be coming from one of the other ac's. I have a call in to the local RV tech but he hasn't returned my call yet.

Can you flip them open and look up inside where the inlet screen/filter is?

I have metal vents in the ceiling they get so cold they will condensate, drives me nuts I walk around with a towel drying them when it happens, usually caused by an open door or window.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Can you flip them open and look up inside where the inlet screen/filter is?

I have metal vents in the ceiling they get so cold they will condensate, drives me nuts I walk around with a towel drying them when it happens, usually caused by an open door or window.

As Joe stated. Also take the cover off on the inside and look up into the plenum. You should not see any daylight. Sometimes you cannot see where there may be a separation of the insulating tape used to seal the area.  You can buy AC tape at Lowes or Home Depot and re-tape all the seams, crevices and corners to see if that stops it. Cheap fix if that is the problem.

After you have made sure every thing is clean  IE evaporator and drain 

and it still does it at night after a rain and not during 

it could be slightly low on charge so when it cools out side the unit will freeze at start of the coil because the cool condenser has lower pressure 

which will allow the freon to vaporise  and ice up one end  

8 hours ago, ccmsm said:

The amount of water coming out is about a half cup and just out of this one vent.

Ok, so it's not the main intake in the ceiling but an outlet vent? Sounds like insulation is lacking and its picking up humidity along the way.

There are times that I wish, I had 3 or 4 AC units on roof with no plenum and duct work !  Yes, the second celling looks real nice, but it can be a royal pain !  I now have bits and pieces of aluminum coming out of all my vents...I know what that entails...$$$. :angry::(

Carl