We are in need of a new vehicle to flat tow behind a motorhome.  It seems that every vehicle that we look at we hit a "road block".  Subaru says "NO".  Many other vehicle no longer make manual transmissions. 

Any recommendations?  We want to purchase a new vehicle, not used.

Several Ford products are towable 4 down, GM has several, and Jeep most are towable with auto transmissions and4 wheel drive as well as still producing manuals.

Click on the annual Towing Guide on the FMCA website. 

a large selection of vehicles to choose from...

should be no issue finding one just right for you.

If you have the 2016 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine, you will find a complete towing guide.  This is a regular feature in the January issue.  If you don't have that issue anymore, you can find it on line here on the FMCA web site.  On the home page, go to the tab FMC Magazine in the headline menu.  From there, go to Back Issues.  Select 2016 and if you look at the right side of the page, it has most popular and you will find Towing Guide listed at the top of the list.  Clicking that entry will take you to a PDF version of the article which you can read on line or download to your computer.  With the caveat that you have to check with the manufacturer to verify the information, the vehicles should be towable though what you have to do to make them towable (such as pulling fuses, speed limits, periodic stops to circulate transmission fluid, etc.) is variable and should be summarized in the article. 

Dealerships may not even realize that their vehicles have this capability.  I purchased a GMC Acadia several years ago.  When asked about towability, the salesman said no.  I said that the information I had (from FMCA) was that the vehicle could be towed.  So we got out the GMC Acadia manual and sure enough it had information on towing.  The manual is the source of the official GMC information.  Ask to see the manufacturers official manual and what it says about towing before you purchase any vehicle.  That is the manual that comes with the vehicle and it is the official word.  Sales people are notoriously ill informed on vehicles.  When I asked where the fuses that had to be pulled to tow the Acadia, the sales person had to go find out where the fuse panel was!

All of this is a benefit of membership in FMCA.  I believe that you have to be logged in to get to this information.

While the FMCA Towing Guide (January issue each year) and online at http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/204-towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down.html

is up to date and accurate at the time it goes to press, be aware that recently some vehicle manufacturers HAVE changed recommendations after stating that vehicles are towable 4 wheels down. 

Particularly if considering a new vehicle, I would confirm in writing (or in owners manual) that it is towable 4 wheels down.

3 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Particularly if considering a new vehicle, I would confirm in writing (or in owners manual) that it is towable 4 wheels down.

If you are looking at used vehicles, consult the Towing Guide for the year vehicle you are considering.  Just select the year of Back Issues and then the January Issue to get the older versions of the towing guide.

Take a look at the Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.  Both are towable with 4x4 (check the specific requirements).  I see a lot of folks who want to tow a P/U tow the Chevy F-150.  As mentioned above, check out the FMCA towing guide for a very good overview of the variety of vehicles approved for towing.

http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/pdf/towing_2016.pdf

Daveglynn,

We just went through that exercise last week.  We started with the FMCA 2016 Tow Guide and shortlisted a few vehicles.  For our needs those that made our shortlist were: Chevy Equinox, Chevy Colorado, Ford f-150 and the Grand Cherokee.  We had the sales folks demonstrate how to put each of the vehicles in "tow" mode except for the Equinox (dealer didn't have one in stock).

Long story, we selected the Grand Cherokee and are in the process of installing the base plates and lights.

To me it was a fun exercise as I like buying vehicles.  Others maybe not so much fun!

Blake

Jeep specifically designs some of their vehicles to be towed behind a motorhome.  The Wrangler (not for me as it is a rough riding tank designed for those who are rock climbing fans!) the Cherokee (smaller version of the Grand Cherokee) and the Grand Cherokee.  I own a 2012 Jeep Liberty which no longer exists but appears to have been replaced by the Cherokee.  I REALLY like the 2012 Liberty so if buying new is not your only option you might want to look at something a bit older.  If the Jeep has less than 50,000 miles on the odometer you can buy a lifetime warranty on the vehicle.  Mine had 45,000 and the add-on warranty (from Chrysler, not some fly-by-night insurance agency) cost just a tad more than the limited mileage warranty offered by CarMax.

Like has been said, before driving around looking at vehicles to dingy tow four down, read the easily obtainable towing guides published early each year by FMCA (http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/204-towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down.html) and Motorhome Magazine (http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/)

As was also said, in order for the FMCA link to work, you must be logged in.

The final word should be the "owner's manual" that comes with the vehicle.  Be sure to find four down RV towing section and not the section about pulling a trailer with your vehicle.

One other good place to look is the Remco site. http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/

If they don't support the vehicle you are thinking about towing, well the old saying "just forgetaboutit" applies. For a long time they have been making their money making things towable. Better yet ask people on the web I am shure you will find someone who will say no problem.:P:D

Bill