Sign in to follow this  
TomandMark

Too Many Religious Items In Chapters

I've been looking around at joining various chapters; however, I'm put off by too many religious items found on the Web pages of chapters. Too many Bible verse quotes, too many prayer items, too many religious themed cartoons, etc. etc. Not all of us are Christians, and we certainly don't want to join a chapter that plasters Christian-themed items on nearly every page.

FMCA-sanctioned chapters should not be permitted to display religious items (of any faith). FMCA is for motorhoming - leave the faith-based items to the houses of worship.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm not going to get into a shouting contest with you, but don't those that worship have just as much right to publish their beliefs as you have to not publish your beliefs. Why do those that do have a faith of any kind be chastised by those who have no faith at all, or of little faith. If someone is looking for something to join, they need to choose what they wish to join wisely as to not offend themselves, or anyone in the membership that they are going to join. Find something that does not offend you and stick to it. I don't try to entice anyone to believe in the things I believe in and I really do not wish that others try to change what ever my values are.

This whole thread may be erased by the administrators as politics and religion are not a topic that can be intelligently discussed by the written word of us ignorant ones.

What specifically are you looking for?

What area?

There are groups that are religion based, Coaches for Christ for example, nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't join a religion based group myself but won't work to prevent them from forming or joining such a group. There are brand specific groups, most of whom I wouldn't qualify for since I don't have the correct brand. Others are service oriented, Habitat for Humanity (which is a religous based but not for preaching). Keep looking, you'll find something.

What are your interests? Maybe we could start our own chapter. I'm into motorcycles, model railroads, museums, historical locations, military, aviation, travel, cultures, lighthouses, mountains, forests.

You could always start a chapter of your own with people of like minded beliefs.

Don't be discouraged, there is always hope.

I've been looking around at joining various chapters; however, I'm put off by too many religious items found on the web pages of chapters. Too many Bible verse quotes, too many prayer items, too many religious themed cartoons, etc. etc. Not all of us are Christians, and we certainly don't want to join a chapter that plasters Christian-themed items on nearly every page.

FMCA-sanctioned chapters should not be permitted to display religious items (of any faith) FMCA is for motorhoming - leave the faith-based items to the houses of worship.

Check your mail inbox.

Tom and Mark,

This is one of those thorny issues... First, I would point out that this is not a government agency or branch of government. The freedom of religion issue in the courts is a matter of government not choosing one side or another. It came out of the history of the split in the Catholic church which had Christians persecuting Christians throughout Europe. Some fled to this country seeking freedom to practice their religion without the influence of a government dictating their religion or persecuting them for their religion. They devised a system of government in which the government was to remain neutral in regard to religion. That means that any government agency was not to pick, choose or encourage any particular religion. It is the thing that has held our government together for so many years. Theocracies inevitably self destruct as one religion attempts to control another. Iraq would be a prime example of the problems of a theocracy. We have done our best to try to establish our kind of government but they still choose up sides based on religion.

Now, FMCA is not a government agency. FMCA is a private and social organization. As such, the freedom of religion issue is not applicable. Having said that, I carefully examined the FMCA documentation available on the web before I joined. I wanted to be sure that the Family in FMCA was not a code word for a right wing religious organization. The word family had been co-opted by the religious right at the time. On the official level, I continue to see no religious expressions which indicates a desire to appeal to a broad section of society. However, on the chapter level, there are groups which are clearly religious. I can't remember the exact name but I saw a coach at Bowling Green last year that had a chapter sign that indicated Christians ... something. I think that is fine. A group with similar interests have assembled and formed a chapter. Their name clearly indicates their religious nature and that is that. Those who want to join know exactly what they are getting into.

I joined a chapter several years ago and shortly after received a religious mailing. I sent them notice to cancel my membership immediately. There was nothing in their name to indicate their religious nature so I assumed this was an open organization willing to accept all individuals. That may be true but their religious response to my membership cost them my membership and participation. I attended a program and meeting of FMCA at the Redmond National Convention and sat through a thoroughly disturbing diatribe about religion in the guise of a Red Skeleton performance (recorded).

I sincerely hope that FMCA as an organization does not endorse any religion and I haven't see signs that it officially does. There will always be those who feel they have found THE right answer and will try to impose their right answer on everyone else. When someone uses the podium at a FMCA Convention to promote religion, it is their personal expression, not an official position of FMCA as far as I can tell. If a chapter posts religious information on their web site, then they are in essence saying to everyone, you're not welcome unless you believe what we do. If that is what they want to do, so be it. I'm sure they'll find plenty of people who believe what they do. If they don't, their membership will dwindle and they will either drop their position or fold up their tent.

As an individual member then our challenge is to find a chapter that is tolerant of various viewpoints and will connect with other people on issues other than religion. Sometimes the best we can do is to find an organization that at least isn't in our faces about religious issues. There will always be someone in a group that feels there must be a prayer before a meal. When it goes beyond that, we can argue/object or move on.

Guest Wayne77590

Tom and Mark,

Most new people to the FMCA web site are trying to garnish information about the RV lifestyle, or a maintenance question about their individual unit or camping needs.

I see that this is your first post to this forum, so it just makes me wonder of your intentions.

My sentiments and opinions regarding religion and politics will remain with me, so I will not post anything else in this thread. It has already been said, and more eloquently by others.

Tom and Mark,

Most new people to the FMCA web site are trying to garnish information about the RV lifestyle, or a maintenance question about their individual unit or camping needs.

I see that this is your first post to this forum, so it just makes me wonder of your intentions.

My sentiments and opinions regarding religion and politics will remain with me, so I will not post anything else in this thread. It has already been said, and more eloquently by others.

I think he has flounced.

There is something great about this wonderful country of ours. FREEDOM. You have your FREEDOM to express your openion. I have the FREEDOM to disagree.

You nor I have the RIGHT to make the other change their way of thinking. If you don't like what you hear, you have the FREEDOM to not listen. If you dn't like what you are watching, your have the FREEDOM to not watch.

Most of the people that have responded to your post are VETERANS who fought for your right to post your thoughts, so respect their rights as they respect yours. I hope that you are able to find a group that will fit your needs, TOM & Mack.

Hi TomandMark,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. I waited to post on this thread hoping to see additional posts by you. Additional posts anywhere on the forum would help legitimize your RV intentions. Since there is nothing, one must conclude there is a lack of sincerity from you about the FMCA forum's main purpose. This purpose is the thoughtful sharing of all kinds of RVing information. With an ad hoc purpose, the forum might not suite your needs or provide value to you.

As to the topic of your OP, the bottom line is a chapter can survive only if it supports its members. To that end, it is up to you to find a chapter that you are comfortable with. I belong to several RVing organizations. I belong to chapters that I find value in and can contribute value in return.

All: I haven't posted or checked for responses on this forum since my inital post at the top (under the display name TomandMark). To be honest, I am too busy at work, which is a good problem to have in today's economy!

The chapters I was considering are local to us here in the Charlotte, N.C., area. The only "theme" the local chapters have is their physical location to this area -- nothing make/model/chassis specific. Nothing other than pure location. I was interested in joining a local chapter because we are both "young" and still employed full-time. When we take the MOHO out, it is for long weekend trips. We certainly don't have the time to drive to a rally in another state/region.

One of our local chapters is all but dormant -- not even a response to my inquiries. The other one's Web page (and materials mailed to me) is filled with Christian-based cartoons, quotes, etc. Just far too much for my comfort. What if I'm Jewish? Or Muslim? Or Christian? Or ?? My FMCA chapter should just focus on the motorhome.

What did we decide? Well, the FMCA magazine is AWESOME, so we're keeping FMCA (just renewed for three years this week). We'll just be orphans on the road!

Re: TomandMark

Remember, everyone brings joy into your life = some by coming in, some by leaving.

I can't understand why some people go where they are not wanted, and do not want to be there. Seems insane to me.

Tom Butler made an outstanding point.

"As an individual member then our challenge is to find a chapter that is tolerant of various viewpoints and will connect with other people on issues other than religion. Sometimes the best we can do is to find an organization that at least isn't in our faces about religious issues. There will always be someone in a group that feels there must be a prayer before a meal. When it goes beyond that, we can argue/object or move on."

I, too, object to anyone pushing their beliefs on me, or should I say attempting to push their beliefs. Getting old and grumpy (ask my bride) has led to not putting up with proselytizing of any kind.

Ward

My feeling are-----if you don't like it, you are free to go someplace else. You are also free to not be a member of this organization!!!

Everyone has a right to their own beliefs and no one should be allowed to infringe upon that right. No matter what the ACLU and others think!!!!

If it walks like a troll, talks like a troll, smells like a troll and posts like a troll, well,,,,

Admittedly a little while ago to respond to now, but, Tom and Mark, enjoy your rving if in fact you do, in the meantime, please don't mind if the wife and I say Grace before meals at the next table.