jleamont

Roadmaster Chassis Mystery Solved

Two and a half years have passed since we bought this coach. All this time I was told it was built on a Roadmaster RR8S chassis. Every time I buy a part for that chassis it never fits, i.e. Safe T Plus. Come to find out it is actually on a RM8H Semi Monocoque chassis. While the RR8S publications on some call it Semi Monocoque  it actually isn't (in the early 2000's there was a bunch of chassis designs changed and companies merging which muddied up the water). up until this time I thought it was a RR8S that was Semi Monocoque.

This design was abandoned due to its weight and cost to produce, originally designed as a bus chassis in the 80's by Chrysler and sold to Roadmaster. That and it can stand up on its roof without collapsing is all I am able to locate.

Anyone have any literature on the RM8H chassis? All of the old links have been shut down in the past few years, I just want to read up on it and learn. 

I just binged (www.bing.com)  "RM8H chassis" and got a couple of hits that may help.  A couple refer to another forum which I won't mention so as not to get in trouble.:P

Why would anyone get in trouble for mentioning another forum and information that could possible help others with the same problem?

Moderators, anyone?

If important technical information is available elsewhere, I see two options:

1. Post the information here.

2. Post a link to the good information on another site.

Ya, I guess there is sensitivity on some forums to a first timer going in and trying to drum up support for his website.  That clearly is not the case here.

I often post links to other websites which detail information on an issue.  Do that on a number of forums I participate in-- never had a problem or even had it mentioned.

Brett

Brett, agreed.. On here it's about helping each other. On the others it's more like a business where they benefit from being loyal.

We are happy to be FMCA members and helping one another. 

22 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

Why would anyone get in trouble for mentioning another forum and information that could possible help others with the same problem?

Moderators, anyone?

That was my attempt at a bit of  humor.  I got in trouble on another forum for mentioning that a poster, who was looking for specific info for a specific brand, go to that web site, and I listed it.

See my post entitled "A Warning" in the General Discussion thread.

Joe,

How did you figure out you had an RM8H chassis?  Is there a Roadmaster tag on your chassis?  I need to root around and look for our model tag.

I went through our Monaco Owner's Manual last night and found some detailed care and feeding instructions in the manual.  However, the manual doesn't reference the chassis model.  I've always thought we had the RR8S chassis too and have only found reference to it in the sales brochure (we still have that).

I'm thinking many of the instructions in the manual may be helpful as it references a lot of maintenance items you, Brett, Bill, Herman and others talk about all the time.  I'm willing to take it to Kinko's to have a copy made and mail to you if you want.

Haha....in that same file I found an '05 Dynasty brochure too.  I'll mail it to anyone that has that model if they want it.

Blake

Blake, from what I have been told after 2002 it would be an RR8S, some of the 02' (depending on production date) could be an RR8S or RM8H. My coach was finished on my birthday 7/7/2001 (how ironic, I still laugh about that) although it was a Saturday I really should be worried :wacko:.

what year is your coach, and do you have a production date?

In the morning, have you been able to see the roof/wall supports because of the morning dew? If so and yours is an 02 measure the beams, I have 3" wide beams in triangles all the way down both side walls. Scroll through the attachment you can see what I'm talking about.

RM8 H

http://cmrvs.com/windsor/brochure.pdf

RR8S

http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/04Windsor.pdf

Notice no side wall structure displayed, it's part of the body on the RR8S

The RR8S is similar but aluminum wall structure and more part of the body rather than part of the chassis integration, smaller and bolted to the main chassis not welded and not all steel. Strong resemblance to the RM8H. The suspension is almost identical except the trailing arms and H is larger tubing and heavier. A completed coach (so I was told) look almost identical unless placed side by side. I really wanted some literature on it to get the full story in print so I could compare both myself. 

Joe,

Thanks for the reply.  Our coach is a 2005 with production date of March 2005.  I found the chassis serial ID but couldn't tell from the numbers if there was a resemblance to a model.  Interestingly, I see dew markings on the side of the coach in the mornings.  Well, mornings where the temperature is just right.  And, I see the diagonal triangles you mention.  Very similar to the first brochure.

One reason why I'm wondering about our chassis is as you mentioned above that when you order something you get the wrong part,  Same thing happened to me a few years ago when I ordered shocks.  I got shocks that were the wrong application and had a hard time finding the right application.

Oops...after I wrote the above, I went back to my files and found the original sticker.  It does say RR8S!:lol:

I really appreciate the learnings I get from this forum.  Although we've had this coach for 11 years now I'm amazed at how much I still have to learn!  My excuse is that werk got in the way of us really using it and learning how to maintain correctly.........now that we are gainfully unemployed our use of the coach and learning curve is exponential compared to the past 11 years.

Blake

This post, is one of the most informative that I have read Ina long time and I don't even have a Monaco product!

Carl

Joe,

Here's the weight ratings for our coach:

GVWR = 34,600.  2005 Monaco Windsor.

I noted on the RM8H brochure (above link) that the GVWR of similar length coach is 36,000!  2002 Monaco Windsor.  Big difference!

Blake

Whoa....wait a sec!:blink:  The more I look at it the more "confuser" I'm getting.

2002 brochure (above link) of RM8H chassis and model  40P** GVWR = 36,000

2004 brochure (above link) of RR8S chassis and model 40P** GVWR = 37,600

2005 brochure (our coach and brochure sitting next to me) RR8S chassis, Windsor 40PAQ GVWR = 34,600

I'm wondering why the difference in GVWR on basically the same chassis and coach length between 2004 and 2005?

Blake

Blake, not sure, this is one area that didn't make sense to me, that was why I asked. The information on these that is out there is vague especially when it comes to GVWR. I was expecting you to tell me yours was 36,000 (same as Mine).

Joe,

Once we get settled in to our destination I'm gonna call Monaco with our chassis serial number and see if they have records of what chassis we have and get specs.  With a March 2005 build date I'm wondering if the chassis and engine is a 2004.  We toured the factory in Oregon and watched how the chassis and coaches were assembled.  At the time, they only built Dynasty's, Executives and Sigs in Oregon.  Our coach was built in Wakarusa Indiana......not sure where the Roadmaster chassis was built (yet).

Blake

20160907_080138.jpg

Blake, I'd bet the chassis and power train are 2004's, especially with a April build. Mine is a July 02 build and my engine is a 2001.

Blake...assuming you have a Cummins, get the serial number and call them.  They'll have all the engine data.

Thank you Bill, that I will do later this morning, when second cup of coffee kicks in! :D Wonder if Cummins has a quick serve for Onan?  Do you know? 

Carl

52 minutes ago, Manholt said:

Wonder if Cummins has a quick serve for Onan?  Do you know? 

Carl

Carl,

Yes, on the same opening page as the Cummins QuickServe Online.  Right below the place to enter your engine serial number.