larryanson

Installing Home Refrigator In Motorhome

Would like to know of any RV shops or dealers who install home refers in to motor homes. Nice to know of anyone doing this in Texas, New Mexico or Oklahoma.  Will be traveling to south Texas for winter & would like to get this done on the way south. Live in Colorado. All information appreciated.

Make sure the model you pick has warranty when installed in a motorhome.  I installed one in mine and when I bought it the salesmen told be it would be OK.  I even called the factory to see if I could disable the auto defrost when running on the inverter.  They said no.  

At 7 months use the compressor locked up.  Called the factory and they told me no warranty because it was installed in a motorhome.  Good thing they record all calls to the factory because I had them look it up and if there was no warranty because it was in a motorhome they should have told me then and I would have taken it back to Lowes.  They did cover it and credited Lowes so I got my money back.

13 hours ago, desertdeals690 said:

Make sure the model you pick has warranty when installed in a motorhome.  I installed one in mine and when I bought it the salesmen told be it would be OK.  I even called the factory to see if I could disable the auto defrost when running on the inverter.  They said no.  

At 7 months use the compressor locked up.  Called the factory and they told me no warranty because it was installed in a motorhome.  Good thing they record all calls to the factory because I had them look it up and if there was no warranty because it was in a motorhome they should have told me then and I would have taken it back to Lowes.  They did cover it and credited Lowes so I got my money back.

Thanks for this information,I'll make sure of the warranty.

We replaced our Norcold 1200 with a residential refrigerator in 2011.  I wrote up the replacement process at that time.  You can read about it here on the FMCA forum. 

Our refrigerator is now 5 years old and functioning just fine.  We haven't had a single problem with it during that time.  We have a standard 4 x 6V battery set-up and that has worked well for us.  We overnight at Walmart and other parking stops on occasions and the refrigerator and furnace can run all night, only the coldest nights will cause the auto-gen start to kick in to recharge the batteries.  In 2013 I replaced an old set of lead/acid batteries with absorbed glass mat (AGM) for other reasons but the system is functioning fine with these as well. 

The shop where we had the replacement done did a fine job but, our more recent experience has been less than satisfactory and I wouldn't recommend them at this time.  I'm afraid the owner has become less involved in the everyday operations and the staff are no longer driven to excel like they were when we had this done. 

The refrigerator you choose must be compatible with your inverter.  There are refrigerators that will work with modified sine wave inverters.  Most residential refrigerators are going to require a true sine wave inverter.  We replaced the inverter several years before the conversion with the conversion in mind so we have a sine wave inverter.  We also increased the inverter size from a 2000 W inverter to a 3000 W model.

I never asked about the warranty, maybe just lucky.  Costs for the conversion were about the same as replacing the Norcold with another.  I like the residential refrigerator much better.  The article I mentioned has quite an extensive discussion, questions and answers, and will give you many of the details.  Use the search box at the top of this page to find other articles on converting to residential refrigerators.  Quite a few people have done this successfully with a number of different models of refrigerators. 

Larry, there is a bunch of us on here that have either paid to have it done or tackled it on our own. If you have any questions fire away. 

Larry.  I'm at TCC now, have been for 10 days...another issue.  They installed a 3 door refrigerator in a 2005 Dynasty 42' last week!

Carl

On 10/12/2016 at 7:47 PM, jleamont said:

Larry, there is a bunch of us on here that have either paid to have it done or tackled it on our own. If you have any questions fire away. 

THANK YOU, THINK I HAVE TALKED WITH 3 DIFFERENT PLACES NOW.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:56 PM, manholt said:

Larry.  I'm at TCC now, have been for 10 days...another issue.  They installed a 3 door refrigerator in a 2005 Dynasty 42' last week!

Carl

GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THEM IF YOU WOULD. THANKS.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:56 PM, manholt said:

Carl

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS PLACE. THANK YOU.

Larry.  If I had not had very good care before, I would not be here now!  Texas Custom Coach is in Pipe Creek, Texas, Their phone # 1-830-510-4224, They will build you a brand new custom Prevost, do part or total remodeling, take care off any issue you have and the best price in Texas, or any other State I have been in!  I have had Class A's gas and DP's since 1967.

Please don't use all Capitol letters...it's rude and argumentative!  Thank you

Carl

15 hours ago, manholt said:

Larry.  If I had not had very good care before, I would not be here now!  Texas Custom Coach is in Pipe Creek, Texas, Their phone # 1-830-510-4224, They will build you a brand new custom Prevost, do part or total remodeling, take care off any issue you have and the best price in Texas, or any other State I have been in!  I have had Class A's gas and DP's since 1967.

Please don't use all Capitol letters...it's rude and argumentative!  Thank you

Carl

Thanks for your update.