manholt

Replacing Head and Fog lights

Without going thru American Coach, what info do I need to find replacement of all 4?  Also, if I want to upgrade the bulbs (without blinding someone), what type is recommended?  I'm out driving my low beam at 40 mph!

Carl

Carl, What are the part numbers of your headlight assemblies? or the current lamp numbers your coach came equipped with for both the head lights and fog lights?

Rich.

I'll have to get back to you, my coach is in the Paint Bay and until someone comes and opens the front garage door, I have about 3' between it and me!  Same with rear.

OK.  SAE HR06 H11 HA58 VOL DOT HD,   SAE HR04 H53 H55 VO DOT,   SAE F00  PIAA  028 (E11) 020215.

The first one I need the whole unit, last 2, I need bulbs or All.

Carl

Carl.

Our headlights were never really bright enough for me until a total change-out of the whole assembly.  The headlights on our Windsor uses the Lincoln Navigator assembly.  I can check the bulbs ##'s if you want.

Blake

The second set might be H?3, hard to read against the morning reflection...I'll probably have to take one of each out, but that presents a whole other issue, workers are here.  I was hoping to go buy them and then change out, once I leave here...I'm 40 min. from San Antonio, TX., Wed I'll be in Campground at Lajitas, TX.  Nearest parts store is Van Horne or Forth Stockton, TX.  108 miles away!

Carl

OK.  I'l check it out.  I found the bulbs on CarParts.com and the whole unit on PIAA web site.  Still looking.

Carl

21 minutes ago, manholt said:

OMG...I need to win a lottery, that's expensive stuff. :wacko:

You do not need to buy them from the sight, just want to find a unit that matches the OEM. You just know they did not pay what some of the unit costs. With over 44,500 different ones. The hardest part is finding one that matches and that could be like trying to win the lottery.

Rich.

Rich. I know, I could not believe what I was seeing...kind of the same prices you see on wheels in da hood..:o  

Mine are individual, round lights, off different diameter, one above the other, except for fog lights mounted on very bottom of front cap in front of Generator...PIAA fog lights are no problem to find, any off road site has them, with or without rock guard.  The 06 Jeep headlight is a proper size for my low beam 4 7/8" diameter!  The high beam that is the same diameter, but has a totally different bulb, looks like a fish eye, fog lights are 5 1/2"  and parking light at very top is 3 1/2",  Grrrr!

Carl

Carl, you will have to remove the light in the coach and see if it will accept the Jeep light, if so you are in a good position, they make them in LED now for a jeep and they are great to see. My old lights I couldn't drive in the dark, Then I had the same problem as you. I replaced my factory driving lights with a kit from Hella, they give me just enough to see, not good enough but works. 

I looked at Hella, not many round single once and mine are clear lenses, not rippled.  I may just replace the bulbs.  The fog lights are no problem...Autozone has them.

Carl

I second the LED upgrade. I had to drive after dark for the first time this last trip and found I had 35 mph headlights.:o I finally found the lower fog/driving lights and that brought it up to 40 mph.:angry:

The new LEDs do a good job. I was in a friends jeep and they worked great.

Bill

Herman.  The first thing I did was to check for Legal height on low/high beam.  High lights up the neighborhood...low. had no effect on the cats in the barn, fog lights caused the cats to go elsewhere.  :rolleyes:

I try to be parked by 4pm, 5 latest, but there are occasions that takes it out to midnight and I want to see the reflection of eyeballs, before I hit whatever belongs to the balls! :o At the same time, I don't want to blind on coming traffic...

There is no cover that can fade or go opaque over my lights...good old fashion, thick glass. They are Hella's, according to the 28 year old girl that does all the body work and painting here, she is a genius!  Also a carpenter...

Carl

Carl, I wanted PIAA driving lights, they don't make them in rectangle anymore. had to buy Hella and I really wanted LED, struck out on that also, their LED lamps wouldn't fit in the recessed holes....ended up with Halogen. I have considered a LED light bar relayed into my high beams mounted down low (mounted under the generator door). I still struggle with night driving, just nowhere near as bad as before. 

Carl,

I couldn't find your assemblies by the numbers you sent. Maybe when you can get the coach out in a better light you may have better luck. I just found my assemblies on eBay. They come in pairs (both sides) with free shipping and no tax for $128.99. I will order them just before we are to return home from volunteering at the Louisiana State Fair in Shreveport . Will be there for 3 weeks. 

Good luck on locating yours. Have you determined what vehicle your lights are from. Ours turned out to be from the 1998 BMW 528i.  

Herman

I have projector headlights on front of mine with halogen bulbs and work great.  I don't even need the driving lights with them.  The high beams are very bright and separated lens.  They are made by Hella.  Very small and mighty good.  

Our Phaeton '03 is a mess to drive after dark also. So, I just don't anymore. Did some of my best distance work after dark back in the day. Oh well!

Joe.  You trying to make your coach look like my Jeep? :lol: My fog lights on coach are round, just like the other 6.

Herman.  I'm calling AC Tech in the morning...I don't know what make of car or truck I have, would have been easier had that info been in my manual..:blink:

Ray.  I saw those yesterday, too small for my holes and mine are single... one for low beam, one for high beam.  Where you have 2 lights on bottom, is where my fogs are, just a foot closer to each other. :(

Byron, call Tiffin Tech and ask them if a 2011 will fit...if it does, that's one complaint I did not have about my bus! :wub:

If headlights are not as bight as you would like, first test is with engine running, check voltage AT THE BULBS.

You would be surprised how low the actual voltage can be.  Have used relays (under $10) and larger gauge wire to boost voltage  back up to near that of the chassis battery.

Voltage in the high 13's is a LOT brighter than in the low 12's.

Brett.  OK, you can hit me with a wet noddle!  :wub: Sometimes I overthink myself....Thank You, will do that tomorrow...Don't want to start engine in a Paint Bay with closed doors, same reason my Aqua Hot is on elect.  makes for a very short shower! :lol:

Carl

Carl,

Reason I suggested engine on is that is a more accurate "what is voltage at headlights" while driving.

But, shore power (assuming it charges chassis battery) can be substituted.

And even with no charging, you can compare voltage at chassis battery and then at lights with lights on. Less "what really happens", but it will give you an indication if you have a voltage loss.

You can also check to see if light switch supplies lights directly (not as good) or through relays (one for low, one for high).  The relays allow larger gauge wire, no loss in headlight switch, and therefore better light.

I installed relays for this on our last coach.