captainjustice

Mountain Directory - How Current?

3 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

Are you expecting any of the mountains to have gotten taller or shorter?   :lol:

Hoping for shorter!  :lol:

My main interest in current info would be focused on the comments and descriptions. I emailed and got the answer that both print and electronic versions were updated in the summer and fall of 2015.  

I find it interesting, that we have been on 3 of the grades pictured. Now does that make us Adventurous or crazy or a little of both. Traveling from Chicken Alaska to Dawson City in many ways makes a number of the grades look kind of puny and there are no guardrails. :wacko: 

Rich.     

Rich/ Why would you go to Alaska if you and your dear wife weren't adventurous? ? We still  have sites in the lower 48 to see, Good Lord willing. Betty will be in surgery once again for breast cancer  tomorrow morning. Love of my life for over 46 years of marriage. Maybe we should head north next spring, but we would have to ride back thru Colorado on the way home. Would just have to.

2 hours ago, obedb said:

Rich/ Why would you go to Alaska if you and your dear wife weren't adventurous? ? We still  have sites in the lower 48 to see, Good Lord willing. Betty will be in surgery once again for breast cancer  tomorrow morning. Love of my life for over 46 years of marriage. Maybe we should head north next spring, but we would have to ride back thru Colorado on the way home. Would just have to.

I hope everything goes well with your wife's surgery. As others have said you are in our prayers 

You need to drop down to Co and plan on spending some time as there is lots to see and do. Plan on riding the cog railroad to the top of Pikes Peak. You should visit all the National parks in Co. Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, and my favorit Mesa Verde National Park. One more place with breathtaking scenery  Colorado National Monument. You can take I-70 West and visit Utaw and stop in Moab as a base to visit Arches National Park and all 4 sections ofCanyonlands National Park. 

Bill

Bill.

Byron and Betty, know CO inside and backwards, that is their favorite State to visit...that's why they would have to go there on the way home..nostalgia!  :wub:

Carl

4 hours ago, DickandLois said:

I find it interesting, that we have been on 3 of the grades pictured. Now does that make us Adventurous or crazy or a little of both. Traveling from Chicken Alaska to Dawson City in many ways makes a number of the grades look kind of puny and there are no guardrails. :wacko: 

Rich.     

Rich, I haven't driven it but have read about it, but lots of interesting roads in the lower 48. The Million Dollar Highway or 550 from Durango to Montrose comes to mind. This summer we were back in Ca and drove over most of the alleged big hills, but if you want to get experience driving hills drive I-15 from the Canadian border to LA. I-17 is another fun road from Phoenix up to Flagstaff. I may have to get one of the books so I can mark of the ones I have been across.

Bill 

I read it.  Should be named "Mountain driving for Dummies"!  Been on most of the roads listed, in car, truck and Class A DP's...why anyone would take a RV over passes that OTR's are not allowed on is insane!  I felt he was talking about gassers not DP's, I've been on I-84 over Cabbage pass and Pendleton, OR. many times and no problem!  I-70, I-15 same.  You want the trill of your life, take the Oatman road out of Kingman, AZ or Hwy, 82 east or west over Cloudtop, NM. or the Banjo Hwy. from Galex, WV to NC. (accidental)!  The grangdaddy off them all, has got to be "Dragon Tail" in TENN.  Illegal for RV's and OTR trucks, but that don't mean it does not happen...seen it, one down, other up and stuck in a corner, took 2 weeks to separate them!  312 curves in 11 miles...  

I learned a long time ago, that there are many places East, West and in-between, you leave the coach in a park and use the toad for sightseeing...that's why I have it! 

Carl

You can take that to the bank. Carl has been there, done that and has many Tee Shirts to prove it. With age comes wisdom which is learned from experience.

Carl has both, Age and Experience.

Herman

33 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

...Carl has both, Age and Experience...

Herman

Don't forget Height!:D

Five, He does standout in a crowd. We have one daughter that is 6-3 and we could always find her. Very sensitive about being so much taller then her classmates, but some of the boys cough up in her senior year. She would work with me on cars and turnout to be a fairly good gear-head. She was changing a tire on the pickup and a fellow stopped to see if she needed help. She was setting down removing the flat as he pulled over and she started to stand up as he approached, we still laugh because he said that girl just keep coming up out of the ground. I still have a kink in my neck from looking up and then putting her on a horse that was 17-2 and on many rides she would place her head next to his neck to clear overhead objects.

Rich.

Next door neighbor is 6-6 and has to duck under many doorways.

****, did she marry him?

Carl, I have driven the "Tail of the Dragon" in TN but on a motorcycle, from Deals Gap to Maryville. What a ride. They have cleared out many of the idiots 18 wheeler vehicles that used to adorn the ravines on that ride and now there are signs all over the place.  I can assure you that anything other than a motorcycle will be reading their own rear license plate on many of those turns.

On 11/23/2016 at 3:32 PM, wayne77590 said:

Next door neighbor is 6-6 and has to duck under many doorways.

****, did she marry him?

Carl, I have driven the "Tail of the Dragon" in TN but on a motorcycle, from Deals Gap to Maryville. What a ride. They have cleared out many of the idiots 18 wheeler vehicles that used to adorn the ravines on that ride and now there are signs all over the place.  I can assure you that anything other than a motorcycle will be reading their own rear license plate on many of those turns.

If you see a couple sitting there enjoying the DRAGON,  give them a horn or stop and say hi.  We enjoy a picnic there often to watch the motorcycles.