lemeulc

"Check Engine" Light: 2000 Ford V10

We own a 2000 Pace Arrow V-10 that needs to last us until we retire from motorhoming, a lifestyle we began in 1978. This is our third unit. 

My technican cannot locate the cause of a "check engine" light. None of the codes he tries will clear the problem. This is the second such instance, with another wire, occurring a year or more apart. He says it will be necessary to trace EVERY wire in the harness to locate what he feels is a short, and then run a redundant wire to fix the issue. He estimates a cost of $500-$1500 for this fix. I seldom see a fix come in on the low end. Resetting the light is temporary. I don't want to drive the unit with an active code and risk damaging the engine or exhaust system. Can anyone provide me with some alternatives that may resolve this problem?

18 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Is your tech an authorized factory certified working at a dealership for the chassis?

There is no certified factory tech or Fleetwood dealership within two hours of my location. I have located a Ford dealership 90 miles away that services the Ford Motorhome chassis. 

Hello and welcome to the form

I am also curious to find out what code is coming up when you connect the coach to a computer. I'm not sure if you are saying that the guy can not pull a code but they're absolutely has to be a code if he is able to turn the check engine light off because in order to turn it off you have to clear the code.

When a check engine light comes a code of sorts and may or may not be followed up with a physical symptom. In other words 90% of the time your car will throw a check engine code but you may not have any real symptoms such as the car cutting off or sluggish shifting. If the check engine light is flashing then that indicates something severe such as failing to fire on two or more cylinders thus signifying potential engine damage if you continue to Drive.

When you start tracing wires in a harness that typically means you have a general idea where to start in other words you have a code that will point you in the right direction.

If you cannot get to the Ford dealership my suggestion is to find any reputable dealership that can read the code and tell you what it is.

Once you get the code you can determine whether or not that part or sensor or whatever has been replaced.

Also keep in mind that it is not uncommon for your car to throw a code for one thing but in reality there is something else creating a situation to cause the code. This is when you need decent troubleshooting.  

90 miles is a short trip to get it fixed and find out what is causing the light. My first guess is it is something to do with the emissions system.

Let us know what you find out.

Bill 

Bill: Thanks for your advice. The shop owner only said that he could not clear the code and that tracing the wires in the harness was the only means to find a resolution.  I have found a Ford dealer in an area where I already had an obligation They do service Motorhome chassis. I will deliver it to them. It's 130 miles. Hope I make it there without damage. Thanks again. 

Does your  Mh have both the check engine and Stop engine lights. The check engine is normally yellow and the stop is red. If it's the yellow, I think you would be safe to drive it to the dealer. If you are hesitant, call the dealer or the Ford help line.

Lem,

Have you tried removing the positive battery cable? Remove the cable for about 5 minutes then reconnect it and start the motor this may reset your ECM.

It is worth a try. 

Herman 

Thanks for all of your thoughtful suggestions and questions. I have found a local technician who will diagnose and/or troubleshoot the issue this week. I did disconnect the + battery terminal and reset the yellow "check engine soon" light - but within 10 miles, it came on again. I will call the help line to try and relieve some of my anxiety about driving a distance for repair if this new tech I found can't get to repaired. 

I am so grateful to you all for your insights.