fagnaml

Why No Kitchen Oven in Late Model Diesel Pushers?

Three years ago a work colleague on expat assignment to the U.S. purchased a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton for he and his wife to enjoy.  His expat assignment has completed and he is ready to return to his home country.  He offered his Tiffin to me as a "low cost" upgrade to my 2007 Damon.   An immediate downside for my wife and me is the Phaeton does not have an oven thus we passed on the model upgrade opportunity.  Many 2017 models we say at the Houston RV show this year no only do not have oven but have ranges that now only have two burners versus three.  My wife detests trying to "bake" anything in convection microwave ovens.   The quality of the baked item rarely comes out "correct" compared to a conventional oven.  Perhaps we have not mastered the use of a microwave convection oven (??) :huh:

Why have motorhome manufactures is recent years gone away from three burner propane stoves and ovens in favor of smaller two burner electric stoves and no ovens?   Many current model motorhomes still have propane hot water heaters and furnaces thus safety concerns using propane is not the reason for not having propane stoves and ovens.   Do motorhome owners no longer like the conventional stove/oven means of cooking?

The forums thoughts please as the wife won't let me upgrade if she doesn't have a three burner stove and oven! :angry:

Just remember that when using a convection / microwave, you can do convection only.  Then it's just a small oven.  I am sure you can bake using a combination but I like baked foods baked.  We have done very well with ours for the last 18 years.

We have found good results baking convection only by lowering the temp 25 degrees.  We do have a oven under the cook top that stores pans and snacks.  I think we actually baked in it twice and found that the bottom gets too hot.  The convention is much more uniform cooking.

We also use the convection quite often. I did have issues at first but finally stopped and read the instructions. Made a world of difference. 

For the range we are looking for either an induction or just electric unit that will fit flush with the couter top.

Herman 

I was not happy with the thought of the Convection oven in our coach but after the first time I baked homemade biscuits in it I was sold! The gas oven in our last coach got much too hot on the bottom and no where else when baking. Like Herman I read the instructions and it worked perfectly. Our coach is an 02' with no gas oven.

I have an electric stove top and wish I had put in an Induction ...Herman, take the dimensions you need and then look at Sears.

51 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Will do. If we go that route I can remove the Propane tank and loose several hundred pounds of dead weight. (Don't even go therr)😊

Herman 

:lol: you know he was about to say it...right?

If you pull the tank and floor that bay you gain an incrediable amount of storage.

When we were MH shopping, if a coach had an oven, it was ruled out.  We would rather have a micro/convection and the storage space you gain without an oven.  What some manufacturers are doing, which makes no sense to me, is to put in a residential refer, an Aqua Hot and a propane stove and oven.

Five, propane is disappearing in the Industry, just not fast enough. I believe when products were made here or in a reputable country propane in an RV wasn't so bad. But the junk appliances now a days on propane is down right scary! I just read an article the other day where a guy turned on his refrigerator and it blew up, took the walls right out of his trailer and he got a chopper ride to the burn center. Very sad!!

The last RV show I saw quite a few coaches with electric or Induction cooktops and NO propane on board. Very common amongst higher end coach builders. 

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Will do. If we go that route I can remove the Propane tank and loose several hundred pounds of dead weight. (Don't even go therr)😊

Herman 

Most home induction cooktops (all?) are going to require 240V service to handle the load.  For the RV I suggest that you look at the True Induction units.

http://www.trueinduction.com/

Available on Amazon for about $250.

Herman, here's a picture of my installation . I had to add an on/off switch, it doesn't like my MSW inverter. On the road I run the generator.

IMG_2128.JPG

Joe,

Thanks, 

Is this a 110 or 220 volt unit?

Please explain the reason for the switch and what does it do?

I like the looks of the unit. I was looking to have it as a flush mount, level with the counter top. But you have shown me an alternative. Again Thanks. 

Herman

That is a 120V system.  The switch is to ensure no power gets there while running his MSW inverter but will work when running the generator.  The only draw back to the 120V system is that you can't run both burners on high as the same time but that would still allow both at 1/2 or 1 on full and one on simmer.

Bill nailed it. When on inverter it beeps since it doesn't like the MSW inverter. So we turn off the power when not in use. I can run both burners on high but the performance isn't great. If you are trying to boil a pot of water and regular cooking on the other there are no issues. 

I got the counter top model for two reasons. First my plan (prior to the switch) was to remove it to use outside also. The other was for ventilation. I was concerned there would be a lack of space under it for it to properly breathe. That model sits on the vents, they are along the sides, front and rear, top side. I have a drawer under that we keep cooking utensils in and the space would have been very close.

its not mounted, just press into the hole and it snaps in. Two years now no issues. I will say my interior temperature while cooking is a fraction of what it was with the gas burners this replaced, since we only use the coach in nice weather that was a huge plus.

Again, thanks to Kay we use Magma induction cookware which has worked well for us. 

I have considered buying a portable single burner for boiling water and for use outside. For the switch I cut open the hot side only the cord and connected it two the switch. The cord is very long and just plugs in under the counter.

Our Discovery came with a propane oven and range.  My wife had it removed, and replaced with a dishwasher and True Induction range.  She uses the microwave convection oven exclusively.  It does a great job as a regular oven.  It serves us well as full timers.

Have not seen a high end class A anywhere in pictures that has an oven let alone more than a two burner cook top. We have an oven in our 2003 Phaeton that we have never used . You turned down a 5 year newer class A that is arguably a better coach than what you have and maybe at a bargain in price from a colleague, because it doesn't have an oven?? You are kidding, right?