N2WKENDS

Towing System Recommendation: 2004 Monaco Diplomat/ 1994 Jeep Wrangler

Hi,

We are wanting to tow our 1994 Jeep Wrangler. We have a 2004 Monaco Diplomat.

Is brake buddy the best or???.

Do we need a protective something to protect the Jeep from stuff that's kicked up?

Thanks for your help

I like my Brake Buddy because I got it used and cheap.:)

By the way welcome to the forum.

I don't have a protective shield and can't point to any damage caused by towing.

Bill

N2,

Several companies make tow bars with base plates the bolt to the Wranglers bumper. And the Wrangler is a prime candidate for the best auxiliary braking system, M&G Engineering. 

Give Monty a call 903-675-2812.

Herman 

As Herman mentions, if you want the best, the best is M&G.  It does not use any battery power, just an air line from the coach to give excellent proportional braking.

I would also suggest that the Brake Away Kit also be installed. It does have an electrically operating solenoid. There is no current draw unless there is an accidental separation of the coach and tow vehicle. I have had the M&G system on 4 vehicles. 

If you have the unit installed at the factory, Athens, Texas, they will install everything needed on both the coach and tow vehicle. It is all part of the service. The first unit I had installed in Athens, I watched very closely and have been able to install or switch it from one vehicle to another myself.

Herman 

Thanks everyone ( thanks Herman !). We live in Southern California....so we will need to find a place closer to home ( we are not retired at the moment).

I'am looking at both the Brake buddy and the M & G.....you guys are a wealth of information!

Heather 

N2 also look at Rock Hard 4 X 4. They have a front bumper that will fit your Jeep

and take the place of the tow bar base plate. It bolts right on to your Jeeps frame

and comes with the tow bar hookup for which ever brand of tow bar you have. I

also have the M & G brake system. I did the installs, so it is not too difficult, LOL. 

Was M&G mentioned yet :lol:. Sorry....It is a very simple system to install, especially on a Jeep Wrangler. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. A friend purchased another brand and it took him 7 hours to do the install. M&G took me less than an hour.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Joe, did you adjust both ends of the plunger and put on the lock tite?

Herman 

Yup! The instructions made it out to be harder than it actually was. All you really want is no slack or too tight so the brakes are applied all the time. Both jeeps Herman, I still have the cylinder from the 03 on my tool box. The 2014 was tricky but not terrible, maybe added 1/2 hour to the project. 

N2.  I have M&G, had it done at the Perry, GA. Rally and love it.  My front bumper is 3/16" steel and I use the same holes as my D rings fit in for towing, no base plate to get in the way off my skid plate. 

The disadvantage of M & G is you have to hook up an air line between vehicles.  I have a Blue Ox Patriot II, it's a new system.  Very easy to move if I change tow vehicles.

18 months ago I had the Roadmaster Invisibrake system installed in my 2016 Jeep Wrangler.  I hides nicely under the driver's seat.  The Invisbrake thus far has worked very well.  The one advantage of the Invisibrake system over the M&G system is no air line needed between the motorhome and Jeep.  Only have the electrical umbilical cord.

What's the concern with the air line between toad and coach, an air line with two air chucks is pretty darn strong? Id be more concerned with all of the electronics in the interior of the toad, toad battery maintaining, drilling into the toad to mount cables and pulleys, potential brake pedal binding while driving the toad.

My biggest concern; Fully Proportional was an absolute MUST! I was tired of the toad banging into the tow bar then the brakes would apply, pull over, get out adjust the box in the Jeep, get back in, only to see smoke from the toad tires when I'm slowing down to stop. It got old real fast, then the brakes respond differently due to brake temperatures, so here we go again, get out adjust, get back in drive away...... if you think fully proportional isn't necessary, wait until someone pulls out in front of you and need the toad at 100% braking but its only set to a light tug :wacko:. Been there done that.  

Five, how is the new BlueOx patriot? I had the older model, it seemed to work ok, it did make me feel better it was there and I was legal with it. What soured me, parts were discontinued, once they were exhausted I put it out front for the trash man, not a happy camper moment on a three year old unit. I also never had a good spot for it when it was removed.

When someone asks about a aux braking system for a road it's like asking what is the best tires or what to use Syn oil or dino oil, you get numerous responses.  The important thing is to use one.  I tow a 1998 Jeep TJ built for off road, it weighs about 4600#.  I use the Rock Hard Patriot bumper, it's made of 1/4 steel and is tough. You order it with the tow bar mounts for most popular tow bars, I us a Blue Ox.   My choice of a braking system is SMI's Delta Force, it works great for me.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:39 AM, jleamont said:

...Five, how is the new BlueOx patriot? I had the older model, it seemed to work ok, it did make me feel better it was there and I was legal with it. What soured me, parts were discontinued, once they were exhausted I put it out front for the trash man, not a happy camper moment on a three year old unit. I also never had a good spot for it when it was removed...

Bought it at a rally, then took a 2,400 mile trip, then installed it.  So, bottom line, I haven't used it yet.  It is a Patriot II, supposed to be an improved version.  The only thing permanently attached to toad is the break away sensor (one small bolt) and the wire leading from the break away sensor to the driver's compartment.  Also, the remote control in the coach has seven sensing levels and a manual "on" switch.

Joe I have the same issue with the Blue OX I have now...no parts. I wanted to rehab the primary center joint and one part not available for a $900 bar 6 years old. Fortunately It came with the Z so no real cost but still now I will have a machinist make one part for me, still, it is frustrating. When the time comes I will look at Roadmaster.

I had the invisa brake before on a Jeep and the problem is that if you use the jeep for off road and I do...it gets wet and it does not work anymore, it does not like to get bounced around and it don't work anymore! :angry:

I think that most brake systems work well, it just depends on the vehicle you wish to tow 4 down.  Off road is a different animal, than a Honda CRV or a Caddy. 

Bill E.  I had a 10,000 pound Blue Ox, as Herman can attest to, and when I sold the Silverado, I went back to Roadmaster...I was not found of the BO!  Will not make that mistake again.