rfsod48

House Battery Recommendations

I need to replace my house batteries, I currently have 2 12v marine start / deep cycle batteries which are 2+ years old.

We do not dry camp and basically use the house batteries very limited. Mostly to start generator and lighting for a few minutes.

I am looking to a lower price point since they don't have high use.

I know most use 6v, for my use is this necessary?

Not sure  I would say 6 VDC batteries are "necessary", but two quality golf cart 6 VDC batteries wired in series will not be much more money than two "multi-use" 12 VDC batteries.

and as Brett suggests they will last longer with greater amp hours. Batteries are one place you get what you pay for. The problem with batteries not lasing is due in large part to inadequate charging and that is not generally the consumers fault. It appears that common replacement times fall around 3 years give or take a bit. How often do car batteries get replaced...not that often for sure.

I use EverStart Deep Cycle batteries from Wal-Mart.  reasonably priced and as long as  you maintain their levels, long lasting.

Brett

Would 2 6v batteries be enough for what I use? As I said, no dry camping just starting generator and lights for no more than 10 minutes when in storage 1-2 times per month.

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Brett

Would 2 6v batteries be enough for what I use? As I said, no dry camping just starting generator and lights for no more than 10 minutes when in storage 1-2 times per month.

Very close to same amp-hr rating as your two 12 VDC's and longer-lived if cared for.

We have a Xantrex inverter / charger, I think it is model 458. Don't have coach handy to check.  Are 6v sealed or need fluid maintence?

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

We have a Xantrex inverter / charger, I think it is model 458. Don't have coach handy to check.  Are 6v sealed or need fluid maintenance?

They make both sealed and regular wet cells.

You can get AGM, gel and wet cell deep cycle batteries in both 6 and 12 VDC.

Make sure to program your Freedom inverter/charger to the technology, size (in amp-hrs @ 12 VDC) and ambient temperature.  It is a smart charger, but ONLY if you tell it what you need.

8 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

We have a Xantrex inverter / charger, I think it is model 458. Don't have coach handy to check.  Are 6v sealed or need fluid maintence?

I just looked at Sam's Club and they have AGM 6 volt golf cart batteries for $179.  I'm in Cookville Tn.  No fluid needed, sealed, no corrosion.

As I said I am going to replace my house batteries. Since we are getting ready to put coach in storage until January would i be better off to wait until then to replace. We have no shore power at storage so I start engine once a month and drive the coach when weather permits. Without new batteries I can't start generator.

If you have jumper cables, you can jump the car to the house batteries to start the generator.  + to +, - to - just like jumping another car.  Both systems are 12V.  The car has plenty of power to crank the generator.  Once started, the generator shouldn't need battery power to continue operation.

I agree with Wolfe, You should look for 6 VDC batteries, these can you more benefit. My colleague has recently installed dual 6 VDC  batteries with the help of the Electricians Chadds Ford PA professionals. His home lighting is going well during the power cut  too. You should replace your 2+ year battery with this dual battery and enjoy the benefit from it.

No opinion about Armstrong/lifeline batteries.  Just a comment about the Golf Cart batteries for under $100 from Sam's Club/Costco.  The do require monthly or every other month check of the water level and refilling with distilled water when they get low.  AGM are sealed and don't require maintenance just more money from your wallet or credit card. 

You mention driving the RV every month or so while in storage.  Do you know for sure if the engine charges the house batteries or not?  Not all RV's have the set up to charge the house batteries from the engine.  The house batteries need to be recharged every couple of months for long life.  

Roland.  I got AGM by NAPA last year, 6v at $239 each.  Since I have 8 of them, I'm happy.  Just make sure your ah is close or the same as you currently have.  At the same time I also got 2-12v start batteries AGM at $289 each by NAPA.

Hi Carl, I have 2 LifeLine 6 v AGM batteries coming tomorrow. They are a little more expensive but in the end I hope to get what I paid for. You and others on the forum convinced me that this is best for my needs.

Roland

Roland.  Your right.  I don't expect to keep this coach, more than a couple of years more...if that long!  You get what you pay for...I was looking at $2,400+ installed VS $4,100+!  For your needs, it will give you years of trouble free service.  :)