aldfmca

Camping Without A Toad

53 minutes ago, manholt said:

Just that it makes camping easier...like a RV, instead of tent.:)

Not sure of how else to take this. You clearly are saying that anyone that camping without a toad is not camping "like a RV" and is using it like a tent. If that's what you think, then you must think I paid way too much for a tent.

Re-read your own words and see if you can make suggestions to other without implying that not doing things your way is wrong or less worthy. There are lots of ways to enjoy using a motor home, and none of them more correct than another.

7 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Re-read your own words and see if you can make suggestions to other without implying that not doing things your way is wrong or less worthy. There are lots of ways to enjoy using a motor home, and none of them more correct than another.

Well I re read what carl said and I believe you are trying to manipulate what he said to justify your point of view. Yes, people can rationalize anything. Maybe I am wrong, there is no reason to have a towed if you just go to a place and sit there. It is probably not needed if you only go someplace once or twice a year for the weekend. That is fine if that is all you want to do and  experience. 

I don't want someone who is trying to decide about a toad not have a full understanding of the pros and cons. The way I travel is to park my mobile condo someplace and go explore with the toad. On this short trip I have been in at least 15 states so far. I look at parking at all the locations just because of threads like this. I can tell you moste don't have accommodations for a RV class C or outher. One of the few was the Henry Ford wich has parking for RVs but what I Saw was quite a hike from the entrance. Where I was exploring yesterday and today in New Port I had a hard time getting around in my CR-V and parking was hard to find. So I am tired of hearing about "how easy it is to get around without a toad". And yes I have had a class C without a towd and made a trip to California. 

Bill

45 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I don't want someone who is trying to decide about a toad not have a full understanding of the pros and cons.

I get it Bill - you and Carl have a strong opinion on the necessity of having a toad. I have no problem with that at all. My point is simple though - not everyone wants or needs a toad. We get around fine doing what we do, as do others as mentioned in their posts. We miss out on absolutely nothing that we want to do. Everyone has a different style and different priorities.

I went one time about 10 years ago on a short, 80 miles trip for the weekend and didn't take my toad. I can't tell you how miserable I was at 9PM when I had a need for a Blizzard atack and the nearest Dairy Queen was 7 miles away. This was in a small east Texas town with no Uber (2008), taxi, bus, etc available. That cured me and I've towed something even when I go out to exercise the motorhome. 

No Question, Toad = Convenience!

And the vast majority RVing with a Toad agree.

For us, we don't leave home without it!

Just a reminder, this thread was originally started by someone wanting to downsize and travel without a toad. The request was for information on how to do that and which of the smaller rigs would be most able to handle getting around in tighter quarters.

It's obvious from many of the responses that many members consider a toad essential to their travels. Not a problem, and those that want a toad are certainly welcome to have one. There is no shortage of threads with lots of helpful information on how to select, configure, hookup, and travel with a toad.

But, how is pointing out what's lost by not having a toad going to help someone reading this thread looking for information on traveling without one?

I know that people travel without toads - we meet them all the time as we travel. It's a totally different way of going about things and does require a different type of trip planning, but it can be done and can be enjoyable.